Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

The Malaysia / Singapore commute.... again!

The Malaysia / Singapore commute.... again!

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Malaysia / Singapore commute.... again!

So, just thought I'd recount my first dry-run experience! Arrived S'pore yesterday.
Today I thought I'd try and travel to where we're thinking of renting by public transport, as a commuting trial!
The plan.... MRT to Joo Koon. Taxi to the border. Walk across. Pick up taxi other side.
Oh dear!
Arrived at Joo Koon and not an empty taxi to be seen anywhere. Decided to walk about and came to Singapore Discovery Centre. Still no cabs. Walked a bit further, then decided to go back to MRT station.
As luck would have it, picked up a taxi at the station (he was dropping someone off). Asked about the crossing and he said he couldn't go over, but he'd drop me at Tuas checkpoint, then I could walk.
The border officer wouldn't let me... he said it's 5km!!
Waited for ages for another cab to come by. He explained the only place to get a cab or a bus was Queen Street,which is where we went.
The Malaysian cabs there refused to use Tuas, saying they would take me to Johor Baru and then I'd get another cab.
Luckily, a "private driver" overheard me. For a negotiated price, he took me over, drove me around Gelang Patah, also to the school our kids are booked in at, and then back to my short-term rental apartment.
4 stamps in my passport, and many hours later, I'm starting to re-think things!!
If anyone was driving around Joo Koon today, and you saw an expat in a blue shirt looking thoroughly peed off and projectile sweating.... that was me!

The above anecdote is for anyone else with the same "bright idea"!
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Malaysia / Singapore commute.... again!

Originally Posted by geedee
my first dry-run experience!

projectile sweating.... that was me!
There you go then just need more old spice
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
There you go then just need more old spice

I should edit it really!
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:07 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

And you've got the lovely Haze too
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
And you've got the lovely Haze too
It wasn't that noticeable today.... nowhere near as bad as yesterday when it was "401" (whatever that means) and all these anti-smoking laws go up in, er, smoke!
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Geedee - did you not think to ask any of us about the public transport options?!

My hubby has taken the bus a couple of times from Jurong East to Gelang Patah and my helper does it every Sunday.

To be honest it's a pain in a behind. You definitely need a car if you're thinking of living here. In fact two if your other half doesn't want to be too isolated and/or be stuck chauffeuring you back and forth (which I did for the first couple of months - believe me that gets old very quickly!!)

Hence why hubby now drives a 6 year old Kia Picanto to work every day! Most of the guys here have small cars that they take back and forth to the office. Very few people can afford two big cars.

How long are you here for? Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
Geedee - did you not think to ask any of us about the public transport options?!

My hubby has taken the bus a couple of times from Jurong East to Gelang Patah and my helper does it every Sunday.

To be honest it's a pain in a behind. You definitely need a car if you're thinking of living here. In fact two if your other half doesn't want to be too isolated and/or be stuck chauffeuring you back and forth (which I did for the first couple of months - believe me that gets old very quickly!!)

Hence why hubby now drives a 6 year old Kia Picanto to work every day! Most of the guys here have small cars that they take back and forth to the office. Very few people can afford two big cars.

How long are you here for? Give me a shout if you have any questions.
I don't like to bother you all....
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:53 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just bumping this thread as I'm on my iPad and its the easiest way....sigh.

Geedee, referring to your new thread today, Ms Bocat is in Nusajaya and has offered to answer questions, so if no response to your other thread, maybe send a PM via this one?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Just bumping this thread as I'm on my iPad and its the easiest way....sigh.

Geedee, referring to your new thread today, Ms Bocat is in Nusajaya and has offered to answer questions, so if no response to your other thread, maybe send a PM via this one?
I'm sure she'll be along soon with her usual excellent advice! My new thread might help others too.

Moving countries is such a pain in the ar......!!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:16 pm

Yes jolly good thread... I agree.

iPads are a pain in the bum too sometimes
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

PJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud of

Did my first Tuas run today. A few things it would have been good to know about: you need a toll card to enter Singapore. You can buy these at the border but you need to pay $10 in cash and fill out a form and you need a smartphone to snap a picture of your tax disc. You also need to fill out immigration cards. All of which took almost an hour ( at an otherwise fairly quiet time I would guess).

I guess the autopay card is a one off hassle and you just keep it topped up at a Sing 7eleven. The immigration cards: I assume an EP visa in your passport avoids the need for these?

Are there any tips for speeding up te border crossing?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense tonight - it's been a long day!

Are you driving a Singapore car or a Malaysian one?

Are you going to be working in Sing (and will therefore have an EP Visa?) If so - you don't have to fill in Immigration Cards.

Also - do you have a MACS pass in your passport so that you don't get stamped at the Malaysian side?
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:07 am
Just Joined

PJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud ofPJS1424 has much to be proud of

Bocat

Driving a Malay car. Will have EP from December and will try and get the MACS card. I will be doing the "Singaporean EP living in malaysia on 30day tourist visa" thing probably so can I get a MACs? I will have two kids in school in Nusajaya if that helps.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think you should have any problem getting a MACS pass. You get it at the Immigration at the border. Just take along your passport and RM30 per person. I think with our initial one we took photos too but I don't think they used them - just replicated our passport photos.

The MACS office is open til 6pm every day (I think from 9am).
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:54 am
Just Joined

markz is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't take taxis across Tuas. The bus services from Singapore over to Nusajaya / Bukit Indah etc are really ok. Timing is everything. If anyone wants any help over here, just give us a shout. Been here for a long time and no real issues once you know what you are doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.