Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore

Living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore

Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I know quite a lot of expat wives who do go across the border to JB to buy those 'copy' handbags and copy DVDs....I can't be bothered.

However, I was chatting with an Englishwoman last week and they've just applied to be PR's. They are on local terms so need watch their pennies carefully.

She pops across the 2nd link to Tuas for most of her grocery shopping these days - at a quiet time of the day in midweek - as there is a huge Tesco supermarket there. She said it sells mostly local produce and the clothes are crap, none of the nice Florence + Fred stuff you get in the UK. However she says it's worth it; she is trying to lose weight and can buy fat-reduced food eg. cheese which she either can't fnd in Singapore or is double the price compared to buying it in Malaysia.

I went to a big Tesco's when we were on a short break in Malacca about 18 months ago and I bought a Tesco vacuum cleaner and Tesco branded toaster there... and a few other Tesco branded food and toiletry items.
This Tesco is very new and very convenient for Tuas. It is in Bukit Indah, which is not far from the second crossing, and I know that my freinds who work in JB and live in Singapore have also started shopping there (or in Jusco Bukit Indah, which is just around the corner). It is a lot cheaper the Singapore for some items, such as the basics, but if you want 'western foods' then it is roughly the same prices as Singapore, but with less variety. Oh, and for non-halal products stick to Singapore! There are now 3 Tesco's in JB - the one mentioned in the this thread in Bukit Indah, one in Plentong (on the road to Pasir Gudang) and one next to Tebrau City, the biggest mall in Johor. They are nothing like the UK Tesco's, though you can get Tesco Value toilet roll! I believe they are planning to build an Ikea near the Tebrau City Tesco as well.

If anyone's in JB, don't forget to check out Chez Papa, the best restaurant in town, located in the shop houses near Plaza Pelangi.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mnicol

If anyone's in JB, don't forget to check out Chez Papa, the best restaurant in town, located in the shop houses near Plaza Pelangi.
Do you have an interest in Chez Papa?
We will be in JB Tuesday and Wednesday.
Noticed Chez Papa a few times and wondered what it was like.

What would you suggest to eat?

We usually have a meal at Terbrau Market.

When we used to live in JB we found loads of great restaurants.
Unfortunately that was nearly 20 years ago and find it difficult to remember where there were these days.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ex reg
Do you have an interest in Chez Papa?
We will be in JB Tuesday and Wednesday.
Noticed Chez Papa a few times and wondered what it was like.

What would you suggest to eat?

We usually have a meal at Terbrau Market.

When we used to live in JB we found loads of great restaurants.
Unfortunately that was nearly 20 years ago and find it difficult to remember where there were these days.
I don't have an interest in Chez Papa, other than that I was made very welcome by the owners (Shereen and Dominic) when I moved to Johor 2 years ago and many expats meet there on a Friday for a few beers! All of the staff are very friendly and it's a very sociable place. There are 2 sides, the restaurant side and the bar side, though I tend to stick to the bar side! Personally I'm a fan of most of the menu, however the steak is very good, and they do a mean duck stew on the specials menu every now and then.

I've since found many local places I would recommend as well, but if it's Western Food then this is the place in JB (or Gianni's an Italian just round the corner from Chez Papa).

Let me know what you think of the place. Bon Appetit!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is at all interested, there is a thread here about life in JB and surrounding area AND commuting to Singapore.

http://www.my2home.info/index.php/topic,734.0.html

One of the posters on this thread actually does the journey to Singapore each day I think, so you can get first-hand info.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

parker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seasider
A friend and I once went on a jaunt to Tesco in Malacca - I came back with some loo rolls.
If you needed them they were probably a better buy than tins of Tesco soup, or anything else for that matter.
Old May 1st 2010, 3:26 pm
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkWitherington
Dear Forum

Can anybody please advise on any benefits to living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore, my wife is considering taking up a post at Singapore General Hospital as a Pharmacist, whilst i am a Contracts Manager for a Building company in Jersey, Channel islands,UK. We have a 3 year old son, whose education is at the foremost of our decision to move, also any info on the Construction industry would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark & Family.
Unless you have a car, it is not very feasible. SGH is very far from the Woodlands checkpoint. Travelling from your home in Malaysia to SGH will take at least 2 hours, probably 3hours. Travelling back another 2 hours. Even if you have a car, it is not very feasible because of jams at the Causeway.

bad idea overall.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

parker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to all

I lived and worked in Singapore for 15 years. I used the Causeway many, many times for trips to Malaysia, or just a few hours shopping in JB.

The queue, the queue jumpers, the fumes, the crawl, it was never pleasant. Of course sometimes it was a breeze but blue moons are rare over the Causeway.

Tuas is much, much better and less traffic but that's because it's more expensive and it's out-of-the-way for JB/central Singapore.

And taking a Malaysian registered car in & out - pricey. And Singapore shouts about the world's best airport but keeps quite about having the world's most expensive cars. A COE for a car in Singapore is now S$45,000. Pay this AND THEN buy the car.

Live and rent in Singapore. An HDB apartment (5-roomed) is about S$1,600 per month. A private condo anything from S$2,300 upwards. If you want to buy you can't get a condo in Singapore for much less than S$680,000 and at this level they're leasehold and older projects.

I'm sure that some folks live in & around JB and commute to Singapore. I can only think that it takes it's toll in time & effort. Maybe living in the new developments on the Malaysian side of the Tuas check-point.

Cross WP
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:59 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by parker-waterman
I lived and worked in Singapore for 15 years. I used the Causeway many, many times for trips to Malaysia, or just a few hours shopping in JB.

The queue, the queue jumpers, the fumes, the crawl, it was never pleasant. Of course sometimes it was a breeze but blue moons are rare over the Causeway.

Tuas is much, much better and less traffic but that's because it's more expensive and it's out-of-the-way for JB/central Singapore.

And taking a Malaysian registered car in & out - pricey. And Singapore shouts about the world's best airport but keeps quite about having the world's most expensive cars. A COE for a car in Singapore is now S$45,000. Pay this AND THEN buy the car.

Live and rent in Singapore. An HDB apartment (5-roomed) is about S$1,600 per month. A private condo anything from S$2,300 upwards. If you want to buy you can't get a condo in Singapore for much less than S$680,000 and at this level they're leasehold and older projects.

I'm sure that some folks live in & around JB and commute to Singapore. I can only think that it takes it's toll in time & effort. Maybe living in the new developments on the Malaysian side of the Tuas check-point.

Cross WP
Is someone talking out of his arse?

Some Singaporean condos significantly below 500k.

NORTHVALE CONDO
#04 BELOW 63 CHOA CHU KANG LOOP, District 23
Condominium 1600 $510,000 2/6/2007

NORTHVALE CONDO
#06 ABOVE 61 CHOA CHU KANG LOOP, District 23
Condominium 1000 $399,000 7/7/2006
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:57 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

However CCK is pretty much the arse end of nowhere.
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

And anyone can always find at least one item to show that any statement is wrong.

New condos are selling at S$3000 per sq ft, some higher.
That's the top end but new condos in the range of S$1500 to 2000 psf is the norm.

Older condos around S$1000 psf average is about the norm now as well.
We've just sold ours, 10 years old at S$1200 psf.
Don't know about lower end stuff in the outer districts.

A 3 room HDB close to where we live has just sold for S$350,000

Prices are around the all time highs, maybe just below.
Old May 4th 2010, 6:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah it's just like the good ol' days on britishexpats far east forum.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

I
s someone talking out of his arse?

Some Singaporean condos significantly below 500k.

NORTHVALE CONDO
#04 BELOW 63 CHOA CHU KANG LOOP, District 23
Condominium 1600 $510,000 2/6/2007

NORTHVALE CONDO
#06 ABOVE 61 CHOA CHU KANG LOOP, District 23
Condominium 1000 $399,000 7/7/2006
Hey, homeless, Northdale Condo is HDB leasehold Executive Apartment.

Don't let the name "condo" fool you, although in your case wowowee it's understandable.

PW Cross

Last edited by parker-waterman; May 4th 2010 at 10:04 am.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

According to the data from the Met Office in Singapore, Chua Chu Kang has the lowest ground temperatures in the whole of Singapore. It's due to the proximity to large wooded strategic land reserves.

So, seasider, it's a very cool arse. And I imagine that the trees are wind absorbing.

PW Cross

Last edited by parker-waterman; May 4th 2010 at 10:08 am.