British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nusajaya-iskandar-johor-200/)
-   -   Living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nusajaya-iskandar-johor-200/living-malaysia-whilst-working-singapore-605861/)

MarkWitherington Apr 27th 2009 6:23 pm

Living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore

Dear Forum

Can anybody please advise on any benefits to living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore, my wife is considering taking up a post at Singapore General Hospital as a Pharmacist, whilst i am a Contracts Manager for a Building company in Jersey, Channel islands,UK. We have a 3 year old son, whose education is at the foremost of our decision to move, also any info on the Construction industry would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark & Family.

Kooky. Apr 27th 2009 9:19 pm

Re: Living in Malaysia whilst working in Singapore

I think you'd only want to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore if you couldn't afford to live in Singapore. I know of people that do it but I'm not sure how the visa thing works. :confused:

The big downside is the queue of traffic at the Causeway every morning and night. Actually SGH is a long way from the Causeway, by Singapofre terms, so you might check out the Second Link at Tuas instead.

I'm sure a couple of people still living in Singapore will come along and advise you, but you might want to look up some Singapore-specific forums as this one is not so busy.

www.expatsingapore.com (I hate it, can get very bitchy, but it has a lot of posters and info in the archives)
www.singaporeexpats.com (mainly young locals talking about double-eyelid surgery and how to be a Singapore Girl, but there are some old-timers on it)
www.singaporum.com (small community, all nationalities but heavy on Brits and Aussies, mostly chatty but will help if they can)

ex reg Apr 28th 2009 1:29 am

Just to add.
The Tuas, second link, crossing is probably as far time wise from SGH as the causeway.
Less busy at peak periods. Housing opposite Tuas is probably better than that closinsh to the causeway. I've lived and worked in JB and enjoyed it though.

After living in Singapore for a few years you might consider a move to JB whilst still working in Singapore.
To do it straight off the bat with a 3 year old isn't a good idea IMO.
Even in the current climate there is a lot of building going on in Singapore.
If you get a job with a local company you'll more than likely be on local terms.
To get an ex pat package you need to work for an international company and even then you might be offered local terms.

Has your wife been offered a position yet. Sounds like she has which surprises me a bit.
But anyway the only benefit which springs to mind is that the cost of living generally and accommodation in particular is a lot cheaper in JB than Singapore.
Passing through Johore yesterday and just looking at adverts alongside the road I'd say to buy a house in Johore is at least one eighth?? ish of the price for a similar property in Singapore.
And rental costs would be in the same ratio ish.

General cost of living is about half that of Singapore.

Kooky. Apr 28th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 7520901)
Just to add.
The Tuas, second link, crossing is probably as far time wise from SGH as the causeway.

Less busy at peak periods.

Thanks ex reg, I did wonder about the distance but didn't have time to check it out this morning. I also thought it might be quieter.

How does the EP thing work? That is, how does one legally live in Malaysia holding a Singapore work permit?

MarkWitherington Apr 28th 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks Seasider & exreg for your prompt replies, our thoughts to moving east are still at an early stage, my wife has not yet been offered the post ex reg and was wondering why you would be suprised if she did, it would be wry of the Singapore General to advertise in the British pharmaceutical journal for a Clinical pharmacist, to go through the application process, and to not be offered the post if successful, we hopefully will know in 2/3 weeks time.

How long would/should a journey from JB take to SGH and are there any restrictions to buying property in Malaysia.

Many thanks again

Mark & Family.

ex reg Apr 29th 2009 12:48 am

I was surprised about your wife being offered a job at SGH because it seemed to me that hospital staff usually move in the opposite direction. Although it surprised me I have no knowledge of the subject:o

Difficult to guess journey time as I'd assume you and the wife would be traveling at rush hour and many cars doing the same as you will clog up the immigration checkpoint.
And thousands of motorcyclists as well although that will go through different channels.
But when in Singapore you would travel on the AYE, BKE (just the local name for highways) and a few lesser roads, all . again during the rush hour and there is a rush hour here.
I'd be surprised if the journey would take much less than two hours each way.
Many do it though.

As for buying property in JB. That is definitely a major step and I don't know any details. You might look at Malaysia my second home website don't have an url, sorry, and that might give you some details.

But really I'd suggest you live in the region a few years to see whether you like it or not first and during that time rent a property.
I/we like Malaysia and Singapore btw and I've been here around thirty years.

And to answer Seasider I've no idea about how the EP might work or not.
Maybe it's only Singaporeans and Malaysians who do the living in Johore and working in Singapore thing.
Maybe the OP can log in to the Singapore Immigration Authority website and find out more there.

MarkWitherington Apr 29th 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks once again ex reg for the info, :thumbup:greatly appreciated. We will,and if, look into all avenues once we relocate, there is short term housing provided by the SGH, but for 3 months only, enough time i think to look around and decide.

Regards

Mark & Family.

xizzles Apr 30th 2009 5:30 am

Just a small note - the crime rate in JB is many times higher than in Singapore. Safety does become a concern for even Malaysians (my sister in law was a victim of a 'snatch thief' just a month back)

ex reg Apr 30th 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 7528496)
Just a small note - the crime rate in JB is many times higher than in Singapore. Safety does become a concern for even Malaysians (my sister in law was a victim of a 'snatch thief' just a month back)

Important point and this is true but that doesn't mean it's exceptionally dangerous.

Certainly we drive into JB less these days because of the increased possibility of car theft or damage.

But when I lived there 18 years ago I had no worries about this sort of thing although it definitely has got a lot worse.

Having said that my wife and her sister have no qualms about slipping over to JB alone by bus to do a bit of shopping and get their hair done.

Mind you the condos you might be interested in across the second link from Tuas are a long way from Johore Bahru, well 25minutes.

Living in Singapore for a couple of years will allow you to pick up this sort of background especially if you are thinking of moving there.

xizzles Apr 30th 2009 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 7529419)
Important point and this is true but that doesn't mean it's exceptionally dangerous.

Yes, of course, ex reg is correct on the point above. It's just that, after having lived in Singapore for a while, it's easy to let one's guard down when visiting Malaysia, and I suppose it's also due to one's own carelessness (e.g. carrying a tote bag the 'wrong' way) that makes one an easy target for snatch thefts and similar ills.

I mean, I wouldn't be harping on about this if it merely happened to a 'friend of a friend's', but as it happened to my sister-in-law (and she ended up having terrible abrasions on her face and body as a result of having fallen to the ground during the theft), it does hit home a little too close for comfort.

But when I lived there 18 years ago I had no worries about this sort of thing although it definitely has got a lot worse.
You're certainly not wrong there!

But, to the original poster, please don't let my seemingly negative opinion mar your own experience. Do a recce, try out both places (on rental) for a bit, and come to your own conclusions. Good luck!

Kooky. Apr 30th 2009 8:58 pm

FWIW, I wouldn't live in JB. I'd consider KL if the right opportunity came up but I think JB is a hell-hole. I could never see the attraction, why all those expat wives go there to do their shopping. Dodgy bags, dodgy DVDs, and cheap groceries - no thanks. My cleaner, however, did a monthly groceries shop there and got a lot more for her SGD, fair play to her.

Re. bag snatching - a friend from KL advised me never to wear my bag across one shoulder there; if motorbike thieves want to snatch it, they will drag you along with it until they get it.

djoerk May 1st 2009 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 7521781)
How does the EP thing work? That is, how does one legally live in Malaysia holding a Singapore work permit?

There is nothing to stop you legally working in Singapore and living in Malaysia.

I know of some living in JB - who have obtained Malaysia My Second Home Visas which gives them the right to live in MY for 10 years - and is automatically renewable after 10years. You do need to have the necessary financial qualifications to be granted MM2H Visas.

The daily commute to SG from JB is a bit of a grind\bind - but it can be done. Earn in SGD (or better still GBP!) : Save and spend in MYR is their mantra.:thumbup:

mnicol Apr 22nd 2010 7:24 am

Originally Posted by djoerk (Post 7531837)
There is nothing to stop you legally working in Singapore and living in Malaysia.

I know of some living in JB - who have obtained Malaysia My Second Home Visas which gives them the right to live in MY for 10 years - and is automatically renewable after 10years. You do need to have the necessary financial qualifications to be granted MM2H Visas.

The daily commute to SG from JB is a bit of a grind\bind - but it can be done. Earn in SGD (or better still GBP!) : Save and spend in MYR is their mantra.:thumbup:

I realise this is an old post, but I just wanted to add to it for any future readers. My opinion that the JB-Singapore commute is not something you would want to do everyday.... mainly due to the 10,000 or so motorbikes that make the crossing daily, causing huge tailbacks at both customs! I have friends to do the reverse (Live in Sing, work in JB), due to the better living standards, and that commute isn't an issue.

I have lived in JB for nearly 3 years and in that time the number of expats has increased significantly. JB is nothing like Singapore, but for me it is home (at the moment!). The stories of crime you hear are probably true, but it is no more dangerous than a British City. People are comparing it to Singapore, probably the safest place on the planet, which reported something like 4 stolen cars in the whole of 2009!

You've got to weigh up the 'easy' life of singapore, against the more 'asian' Malaysia... I know which I would choose any day.

:thumbsup:

Englishmum Apr 25th 2010 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 7530709)
FWIW, I wouldn't live in JB. I'd consider KL if the right opportunity came up but I think JB is a hell-hole. I could never see the attraction, why all those expat wives go there to do their shopping. Dodgy bags, dodgy DVDs, and cheap groceries - no thanks. My cleaner, however, did a monthly groceries shop there and got a lot more for her SGD, fair play to her.

I know quite a lot of expat wives who do go across the border to JB to buy those 'copy' handbags and copy DVDs....I can't be bothered.

However, I was chatting with an Englishwoman last week and they've just applied to be PR's. They are on local terms so need watch their pennies carefully.

She pops across the 2nd link to Tuas for most of her grocery shopping these days - at a quiet time of the day in midweek - as there is a huge Tesco supermarket there. She said it sells mostly local produce and the clothes are crap, none of the nice Florence + Fred stuff you get in the UK. However she says it's worth it; she is trying to lose weight and can buy fat-reduced food eg. cheese which she either can't fnd in Singapore or is double the price compared to buying it in Malaysia.

I went to a big Tesco's when we were on a short break in Malacca about 18 months ago and I bought a Tesco vacuum cleaner and Tesco branded toaster there...:) and a few other Tesco branded food and toiletry items.

Kooky. Apr 25th 2010 7:54 pm

A friend and I once went on a jaunt to Tesco in Malacca - I came back with some loo rolls. :rofl: