British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nusajaya-iskandar-johor-200/)
-   -   Just arrived... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nusajaya-iskandar-johor-200/just-arrived-903282/)

Richard_Vickers Sep 13th 2017 12:09 pm

Just arrived...

Hello all,

Myself (29) and partner (27), both teachers at Tenby International School have just arrived in Johor (1 month ago) and are settling in to our lovely new life.

Now we'd like to get out and about, meet some new people and make some new friends.

Any suggestions?

We like a drink and a game of scrabble, which kind of sums us up.

Cheers,
Rich.

BigBlueNose Sep 19th 2017 6:23 am

Re: Just arrived...

Hi Richard,
My wife and I will be arriving in JB soon.
What is your opinion regarding Tenby school in terms of the level of education provided? Mixed bag of opinion on most of the schools.
As a Brit, I've found it very difficult to find trustworthy/accurate info and my feeling is that we've taken a significant gamble when it comes to the kids schooling. I hope that my fears go away once we hit the ground!!
Are you still enjoying the adventure of a new challenge in a new country?
Appreciate any honest feedback/insight you can provide.
Cheers,
BBN

geedee Sep 22nd 2017 6:35 am

Hi Richard,

I bet once you start meeting the other brit teachers out here (there are lots of them!!) you'll soon find your feet.
Puteri Harbour is a reasonable place to start (weekends ok) but I think a lot of the younger ones go into Johor Bahru for slightly more busy night life.
Singapore is not far away and if there's a group of you, say 5, a taxi will set you back around $16 each, each way.
Good luck!

Richard_Vickers Nov 2nd 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by BigBlueNose (Post 12341180)
Hi Richard,
My wife and I will be arriving in JB soon.
What is your opinion regarding Tenby school in terms of the level of education provided? Mixed bag of opinion on most of the schools.
As a Brit, I've found it very difficult to find trustworthy/accurate info and my feeling is that we've taken a significant gamble when it comes to the kids schooling. I hope that my fears go away once we hit the ground!!
Are you still enjoying the adventure of a new challenge in a new country?
Appreciate any honest feedback/insight you can provide.
Cheers,
BBN

Hi BBN,

Sorry for the super late reply. I thought I'd leave it a while to give myself time to form a proper opinion on the place before giving you only my first impressions.

I'll be as objective as I can.

Like any school, Tenby has it's issues:
- Some staff are far more motivated and capable than others.

- There is a disproportionate amount staff politics and bitchy-ness, a tone seemingly set by previous management.

- Consistency in the quality of teaching is an issue, but then it has been in every school I've worked at so far.
From the perspective of a prospective parent, I suppose the only thing you care about is the learning experience which I believe to be good currently, although I only have experience in the Secondary International School.

I do think it will get better very quickly though, for the following reasons:
- A new Campus Principal and new Head of Primary School took over in September and both have already begun to overhaul the school. As mentioned, I am in the secondary school and the prevailing mood among staff seems to be of enthusiasm and belief that the campus principal is doing an excellent job in addressing the issues mentioned earlier.

- Teachers who seem to have been browbeaten in the past are beginning to feel supported and valued again and I think that is translating in to a better standard of lesson throughout the whole school.

- I believe that a new Head of Secondary School will be appointed in the coming months so this overhaul can reach all areas of the school.
The school is not perfect, but even in my short tenure so far, it has improved and will continue to do so - I hope!

Help this helps.