If you knew then...

Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all
Default If you knew then...

If you knew then what you know now, would you still move to Malaysia?

My husband has been offered a job in Singapore and myself and our 3 children are planning on living in Johor Bahru.

We are Brits but have already had 4 yrs in Australia (our kids really want to go back) and 1 year in France (total disaster). I am trying to work out if JB-Malaysia would be a good idea.

I think the plan would be to get a Singapore Visa with a 10 yr living in Malaysia visa.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 11:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you knew then...

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
If you knew then what you know now, would you still move to Malaysia?
Yes. But everyone is different.

Have a good read through all the posts in this section. Tag on to a few existing topics and that may provoke some replies.

Are you familiar with Singapore? Are you familiar with Malaysia?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes. But everyone is different.

Have a good read through all the posts in this section. Tag on to a few existing topics and that may provoke some replies.

Are you familiar with Singapore? Are you familiar with Malaysia?
Yeah bb but you weren't living in JB and working in Singapore when you were living in Singapore.

For me the important question which should be answered directly is 'would you live in JB and work in Singapore.

I know what I think.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

Ex-Reg - I'm guessing that's a no?

BakedBean - We don't know either country and we are not in a financial position to check either out. I have been reading some of the posts and they don't seem entirely positive.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:22 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year the 'haze' lasted for several months in both Malaysia & Singapore and was a real downer for many. It's an annual event, and 2015 was possibly the worst ever.

If we get the same again this year, then I think my answer would be 'No'.

See: 2015 Southeast Asian Haze Could Be Among Worst Ever

There are lots of great things about Malaysia, but the haze ain't one of them.

JC3
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

That would piss me off. Indonesia could just send the army in to tackle to the Palm Oil problem but chooses not to. I guess deforestation isn't high on their list of problems. Sigh.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

The haze is back here in Singapore already even though the north east monsoon winds are blowing.

Now of course there are many kids here who put up with the haze and don't even notice it, except for the smell I don't notice it, except my fablus view of Malaysia and Indonesia has been wiped out.
The last time I lived in JB and worked in Singapore was in 1990 and it was a bit of a pain crossing the causeway but little to what it is now.
Many ex pats do it now but I can't comment about how they feel.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:54 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has been offered a job in Singapore and myself and our 3 children are planning on living in Johor Bahru.
Why are you planning on living in JB?

If your husband takes the job, why not live in Singapore? Based on the fact that you have been living in Aus and enjoy it, I would think that it would be easier for you to slip into Singapore life. Maybe consider JB later if that appeals to you. Singapore is usually considered as Beginner's Asia. An Asian country with a thin Western veneer.

I guess the most pertinent question to address is whether your children are of school age, and what and whether they can attend schools there. Maybe that is something that is swaying your decision but you haven't stated that, and my psychic radar is not working this morning.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 5:37 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing finances are an issue.

But the commute would be awful if daily.

JB itself is fine, but the expat schooling is still expensive imho. Housing is cheaper than Sinagpore for certain.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Finances are an issue (my husband lost his job and our visa in Aus. We had to leave and in the process lost everything we'd worked for. We have nothing now) and we couldn't afford to live in SG. Plus I don't want to be part of that corporate greed world where only money matters.

His job would involve him being in SG 167 days a year and the rest of the time he'd be travelling around SE Asia. His salary is not huge in terms of an SG salary but it would give us a comfortable lifestyle in JB.

We have been looking at Austin Heights Int School. I am not a big fan of private education and I want our kids to have a more level-headed approach to life.

How easy is it for ex-pat teenagers to get jobs? My eldest is 13 and wants a job. Nothing major but she wants to earn her own money and I want to encourage this!!
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Plus I don't want to be part of that corporate greed world where only money matters.
Don't expect Malaysia to be different from SG.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly the corporate world is what mostly applies if one is a working professional.
And money matters everywhere when one has to pay for the costs of living.
These costs mostly relate to the level of income in the respective country.
Meaning the 'corporate greed world' environment would more or less be found everywhere but the level of the required amounts would differ.

As for 10 year visa for living in Malaysia when working in SG, I assume it is the MM2H visa you mean? Such a visa does not allow the holders or dependants to work in Malaysia.
Don't know if there other visa options available?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

According to this link (which may be out of date) Malaysia - Visas | ExpatFocus.com

"Obtaining this visa allows the applicant to set up a business in the country and to work part time if he/she wishes".

Is this not correct?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

We have just discovered that applying for the MM2H requires us to have liquid assetts of 500,000rm and 300,000rm in a bank account. LOL That rules that out....

That's £52k... wtf?! How is a young family of 5 supposed to have that?
Old Mar 27th 2016, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

We have just discovered that applying for the MM2H requires us to have liquid assetts of 500,000rm and 300,000rm in a bank account. LOL That rules that out....

That's £52k... wtf?! How is a young family of 5 supposed to have that?
Clearly the MM2H visa isn't designed for your situation. It was just an option for you to enable your plan to live in Malaysia long-term whilst having access to work in Singapore.

'Silver Hair' was originally a retirement visa for those who wished to use Malaysia for weather related retirement...then it was expanded to MM2H to be more inclusive to allow anyone to set-up a second home in Malaysia....but most of the participants are actually retirees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.