Horizon Hills?

Old May 10th 2017, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Elizabet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Horizon Hills?

If I live in Horizon Hills how easy is it to get taxis in and out? Or, will I need a car? I've not been there yet, don't know the area but will be living there. I'm wondering too how easy it is to meet people living there, is it a community? And, how easy will it be to find someone to help out in the house, walk the dog, and look after things when I am at work? Any thoughts, knowledge, ideas appreciated. I won't have a choice about living elsewhere, have to make this work for me.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

igster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horizon Hills?

Hey there Elizabet,

As you've posted over a month ago, you might already be in Horizon Hills and have worked out most of the answers already.

If you aren't here as yet, here goes:

A car would be ideal. It'll allow you to easy access the malls and essential services anywhere from a 5 - 20mins drive away. I can't really advise on how easy it would be to get taxis (btw, use Uber and Grab instead of local taxis. Seriously). I haven't taken many Ubers/Grabs here, but on the rare occasion that I needed one, they weren't too difficult to get.

Cars. Are. Not. Cheap. Here. From personal experience, you can possibly find "affordable" well-maintained older ones that would serve you well. One good thing about these are, you wouldn't spend too much on the purchase and you wouldn't lose too much on the resale once you decide to get something else or leave. You'd have to keep it maintained tho and might need to do a couple of fixes now and then. Whichever the case, if you're not going to be here for a really long while, you might consider a local car - as parts are very much cheaper.

I think it'll be pretty easy to meet with people. It really depends on what your preferences are. If you're here as a family, I think HH is pretty kid-friendly and safe as well. There are neighbourhood shops, which depending on the precinct in Horizon Hills you'll be staying at, might only be a short walk away - there's a few sundry shops, a mini mart, a gourmet shop, a coffee place, an Italian restaurant and bar, a Japanese bakery, etc.

Members of the greater community, with a fair few living in and around Horizon Hills, are pretty active and helpful on Facebook. You can pretty much get recommendations for anything.

It's all pretty dog friend, to me at least - as long as the dogs are on-leash and behaved, everything will be fine. I used to walk mine off-leash, but people do get a little nervous and that's a potential incidents.

Any specific stuff that you might be looking for?

Last edited by igster; Jun 23rd 2017 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Oh, one other thing - if you need a Uber or Grab on a regular basis at a set time, you'd probably be able to organise scheduled trips with a specific driver once you're comfortable with them.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Elizabet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much Igster. This was so helpful.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 6:52 am
Just Joined

You're most welcome, Elizabet. I hope it all works out for you. Give me a holler if you need anything else. I'd be glad to help if I can.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

muslpi is an unknown quantity at this point

It would not be easy, or close to impossible to hail a taxi in horizon hills, unless there happen to be someone riding one there.

Your best bet will be grab or uber.

That said, rent a car or buy one, any car, be it second or third hand used car.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

What we did was find a taxi driver we liked / trusted, got his mobile and used exclusively. Works well.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

If the area is covered by Uber and/or Grab, you will never have the strange idea to use a taxi again
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eCdD
If the area is covered by Uber and/or Grab, you will never have the strange idea to use a taxi again
We only use the blue cabs if possible.

Would never, ever use uber or grab here (or anywhere else for that matter!)
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Would never, ever use uber or grab here (or anywhere else for that matter!)
Why is that? Did you have a bad experience? My wife and I use Uber multiple times per week here in Penang and are, thus far, satisfied.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sushi,

It's because we want drivers that are at least supposed to be regulated by the "authorities" as opposed to any old person wanting to make a quick buck. The regulated taxis have permits etc. (whether they're genuine or not is anyones guess!) but I don't believe there's any sort of regulating Uber? Or am I wrong?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
The regulated taxis have permits etc. (whether they're genuine or not is anyones guess!) but I don't believe there's any sort of regulating Uber? Or am I wrong?
I'm not sure to what extend Uber is "regulated". What I do know is that Malaysia changed the law a few months back such that things like Uber/Grab are not illegal any more. There have been a number of newspaper articles reporting about protests by incumbent taxi drivers who were opposing this change in the law.

My own experiences are the opposite: I have had several experiences where a "regulated" taxi driver tried to rip me off. With Uber I don't have any of those problems as all money flow is calculated and taken care of by Uber. No money is changing hands in the car.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SushiFan

My own experiences are the opposite: I have had several experiences where a "regulated" taxi driver tried to rip me off. With Uber I don't have any of those problems as all money flow is calculated and taken care of by Uber. No money is changing hands in the car.
Good point about being ripped off. However, the proper cabs have ID and I assume at some stage have gone through some sort of background check before they are licensed? If that doesn't happen with uber, I'll stick with the blue cabs And as to the red ones.... you might be better off with uber

Last edited by geedee; Jul 21st 2017 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Uber and Grab are meanwhile fully regulated by the Goverment, all same as taxi drivers.

Of cause 99% of cars from Uber and Grab are much better than Malaysian taxis. Drivers I would always prefer also. I have never set my foot in a taxi here for two years already and hope this can continue until all "old" taxis are finally gone. Will not take long anyway I guess, it is a thing from the past like the Soviet Union