British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nusajaya-iskandar-johor-200/)
-   -   Fresh Meats and Butchers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nusajaya-iskandar-johor-200/fresh-meats-butchers-865712/)

igster Sep 25th 2015 12:53 pm

Fresh Meats and Butchers

Hullo there,

I was wondering, does anyone have any pointers as to where best to get fresh meat from? What I've found in the supermarkets don't seem to look the freshest - tho it's possible that I've gone on the wrong days.

Also, are there any butchers in town that one can select cuts of meat ground?

Any advice would be most most most appreciated.
Igster.

ex reg Sep 25th 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Fresh Meats and Butchers

Cold Storage in JB used to be as good as it gets, unless you get yourself along to a wet market. Have to be early though.

Gunnar45 Sep 25th 2015 1:22 pm

I think the Pok Brothers have a shop in JB
1 & 3, Jalan Bertam 6, Taman Daya, Phone:+60 7-351 0661.

In Penang they sell excellent chilled NZ & AU beef and lamb.

But they don't sell pok :-)

JC3 Sep 25th 2015 1:46 pm

Go to a decent hotel or restaurant and ask who supplies their meat.
That will lead you to a Pok Brothers or similar

JC3

Scratcher Oct 1st 2015 5:31 am

I have regularly used Harvest for good quality beef cuts. No pork at this place. Frozen & Chilled Meat Supplier & Wholesaler in Johor Bahru (JB), Malaysia - Harvest Frozen Food Sdn. Bhd.

Scratcher

Froggybarnacle2000 Dec 29th 2015 11:58 am

Yup, go to Harvest Frozen. Got our turkeys for Christmas at Harvest. Steaks and lamb are very good there too. The owners are lovely, hubby always has a good chat with them and they let him know when their new stocks arrive. They'll never sell pork though as the Sultan of Johor's family is one of their biggest clients. The pork section of Aeon in Bukit Indah suits us as the moment. But I draw the line at buying processed pork products in Johor. I just buy sausages and bacon from Huber's Butchery in Singapore and bring it over. Gotta be creative about where to store it in the car on the drive back though!

Parnell Feb 17th 2016 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by igster (Post 11757590)
Hullo there,

I was wondering, does anyone have any pointers as to where best to get fresh meat from? What I've found in the supermarkets don't seem to look the freshest - tho it's possible that I've gone on the wrong days.

Also, are there any butchers in town that one can select cuts of meat ground?

Any advice would be most most most appreciated.
Igster.

Is there any premium suppliers that provide home delivery?

Gunnar45 Feb 20th 2016 7:55 am

Deliveries JB, Johor Bahru, Malaysia Supply & Wholesale, Harvest Frozen Food Sdn. Bhd.

JC3 Feb 21st 2016 6:08 am

AFAIK Harvest don't do home (retail) deliveries, only providing (wholesale) delivery services to restaurants and local markets etc.

But retail customers can 'walk in' to buy from the chiller, freezer, or off the shelf.

JC3

Gunnar45 Feb 21st 2016 6:39 am

Don't know but in the conditions t just says minimum order RM200 nothing else.
Anyone interested could give them a call....

JC3 Feb 21st 2016 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 11874057)
AFAIK Harvest don't do home (retail) deliveries, only providing (wholesale) delivery services to restaurants and local markets etc.

But retail customers can 'walk in' to buy from the chiller, freezer, or off the shelf.

JC3

I stand corrected. Harvest will do domestic/retail delivery, but only for wholesale sized orders (i.e. RM 200+). Therein lies the rub. You want fresh meat, but RM200 worth is probably a bit too meaty.

JC3

Gunnar45 Feb 22nd 2016 12:18 am

We had some bad experiences with frozen meat so for us the advantages with buying chilled meat are the quality and that we know it is fresh and then that the part not consumed immediately can be frozen after portioning/slicing.
And you don't get so many kg's of tenderloin or other prime cuts for RM 200 anyway. :-)
(Pok Brothers here only sell unopened packages of chilled beef)
If too much one can share with neighbours.

For stews, mince meat and the like we buy the stuff in the local market like indian & chinese beef and buffalo.