Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

anyone live in Nusajaya/Iskandar can advise?

anyone live in Nusajaya/Iskandar can advise?

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone live in Nusajaya/Iskandar can advise?

Hi members
We live in Bali but keep getting info on the great life-style and investment I could have in Johor. My wife and I are Canadians (she was born Indonesian and speaks Bahasa Malayu). Both have MM2H, are pensioners/no children and active in boating/golf and dining/shopping.
We intend to visit sometime in February.
Can anyone recommend what area we should focus when searching for an apartment with view over water. Access to Malls resto's etc.... access to Singapore on a casual basis. Possibility of a small boat moored nearby.
I believe that the min MM2H purchase price is now MYR1 M in Johor so, around that cost I would like to budget for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment with view...is that achievable?

Thanks for any response and would appreciate any comments to help me narrow down what I should search for.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Nusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to all
Default Re: anyone live in Nusajaya/Iskandar can advise?

Hi Davita, the best area to check out is Nusajaya. The Singapore border is around 10 minutes drive from here. A lovely location is Puteri Harbour. There are lots of condos being built at the moment (some say it will lead to an oversupply). The average price per square foot ranges from around RM900 to 1,600. Currently only three condos in the prime areas have been completed: Horizon Hills (a golf course development) has the Fairway Suites condo, East Ledang has the Ujana condominium (soon to completed will be the Impiana Condo). Puteri Harbours has the Somerset Condo and the Imperia Condo coming up for completion around March 2015. Another (cheaper) area to look at would be Bukit Indah's Sky Residences / Executive Suites. Another popular Condo area is Johor Bahru's Danga Bay - lots of launches but only the Tropicana Danga Bay is about to be completed. Or if you want to buy offplan you could buy near the future MRT station which will connect Johor Bahru and Singapore (located behind the current JB train station). There are lots of condos being launched there too. Good luck!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Nusajaya...does you your nic mean you live there?
You've whetted my appetite and I'm searching for all info...any downside you can think of to live there?
Would February be too soon to actually see fully built condos or are they all still at development stage?
Will the MRT be built or another of those dreams that will never get done/
for example...here in Indonesia the govt have just shelved the bridge between Sumatra and Java, that has been promised for years.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Nusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to allNusajaya is a name known to all

Great pleasure. Yes - I live in Nusajaya. The MRT Johor Bahru - Singapore is already in the engineering stages and both governments (Singapore and Malaysia) have agreed on it and is it supposed to be completed in 2018; the governments have also agreed on a high speed rail link Kuala Lumpur - Singapore which will have a stop in Nusajaya. The hole area is a bit of a building site at the moment. Best if you have a look for yourself. The condos I mentioned in my post are already completed. Many others are in the process of being built or launched. February should be fine, at least you get an idea. Cheerio
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again for the info...I'm slowly searching for all those places you mentioned and getting a better idea...it sure looks great on pictures but I can imagine still early stages of development....if you think of anything that might be interesting I'd appreciate you post.
Cheers.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi again Nusajaya
I now have my English pal also interested. Both couples plan to arrive Johor in mid Feb. I see the Traders Puteri Harbor looks nice and reasonable for a little less than MYR 400/night.
Would that be suitable for us two elderly couples to stay while looking around for property for a couple of days, or do you have a better recommendation?
We would probably arrive by bus from KL and leave from Changi back to Bali.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I see the Traders Puteri Harbor looks nice and reasonable for a little less than MYR 400/night.
Would that be suitable for us two elderly couples to stay while looking around for property for a couple of days
Is this Davita-Speak for Has it got a decent bar?

Seriously, hope you will report on here your findings. I've often wondered if Nusajaya is a good retirement spot (with proximity to Singapore). I'd love to go visit down there (if I ever get the chance).
Old Nov 11th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have sure sussed me out baked bean...but I have a new requirement. Hotels, for a few bob more, offer club facilities which include cocktails and canapes....I've drunk and eat so much in these clubs in other hotels it was well worth the extra money. Didn't need dinner and went to bed mabok (drunk).

Seriously we are going from Bali to Bangkok to attend a friend's birthday' then we'll fly cheap to KL. We plan taking a bus from the KLI2Airport to TSB then onto Transnational to Johor. From there we'll use taxis for a couple of days while staying in Traders and get some realtors to show us appropriate apartments for future purchase as holiday homes.
Does that sound like a plan and doable?
Last day will somehow get to Changi International for a flight back to Bali but haven't figured that out yet.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Davita, the Traders is probably your best bet. And it has a roof top pool bar! It is located at Puteri Harbour, a new and pretty harbour. I hope you will like it. It is all very new though and a lot of construction going on in Nusajaya. If you send me a PM in January I can have a look whether I am around when you are here and give you a tour of the area - if you like. A taxi to Changi airport costs around RM200. The cheaper option would be to take the bus (RM5) and then the MRT within Singapore, but that takes longer and is not as comfortable...
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita

From there we'll use taxis for a couple of days while staying in Traders and get some realtors to show us appropriate apartments for future purchase as holiday homes.
Does that sound like a plan and doable?
We were over in Gelang Patah last week just to have lunch at a seafood restaurant and had a drive around Puteri Harbour and up to Bukit Indah.

Been over more than half a dozen times now not with any wish to move there but just for a look around.

I'd say you'd need one maybe two estate agents to drive you around and you should set that up before you arrive.
It's not easy to get your bearings and even taxi drivers might not know exactly where some of the places are.
Buying a holiday home there???
Wouldn't be top of my list. Unless you are a sailor perhaps.
You may well think differently and a trip there would be a must to see how you think.

Anyway I asked one of the agents in front of the model of the area in Puteri Harbour how long it was supposed to be until construction was complete.
She told me 5 years.
Well if it's half complete in 10 years time I'd be surprised.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Nusajaya and ex-Reg. (where do you live ex-reg?)

It sounds much like I expected...looks great on the brochure but probably never complete.

We are just taking a casual look...no real plan to buy yet as Bali is still fun. We have a very nice pool villa which WAS cheap but become expensive. Just looking at options.

So thanks.... and if anyone can offer more thoughts I'd appreciate them.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We've retired to Singapore.
It works for us.

Much as I like Bali my missus doesn't.
All those flower things on the ground in front of shops etc does 'er 'ead in.

But a straight choice between Bali and Nusa, well Nusa wouldn't even come a distant third.

But it's different if you work in Singapore and live in Nusa to save dosh.
Even then I couldn't do it.
Strokes and folks I suppose.

It'll be interesting to see what your thought are after you visit.

bb will be along in a minute telling me I'm always looking on the downside.
I say I'm realistic, but wouldn't argue with her too strongly.

Last edited by ex reg; Nov 12th 2014 at 7:32 am.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks ex reg....
It's all those glossy brochures and even a TV program of the developments that got me excited, but I get your message.
Bali is also not paradise but namaste...and lots of wine...get me by.
I'd also considered Singapore but, it's spendy, and accomodation not so available.
I lived/worked in Hong Kong for 16 years and life was great...but not so good when retired and living on pension/investment.

People who do live in a paradise seem to keep quiet...don't blame them.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:19 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nusajaya
A taxi to Changi airport costs around RM200. The cheaper option would be to take the bus (RM5) and then the MRT within Singapore, but that takes longer and is not as comfortable...
Seem to remember reading that there was a leisurely ferry that goes from Puteri harbour to the terminal near Sentosa on Singapore. Is that correct? That sounds like an interesting journey to Singapore, then pick up a cab to Changi?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg

bb will be along in a minute telling me I'm always looking on the downside.
I say I'm realistic, but wouldn't argue with her too strongly.
Would I do such a thing?

I think it's an interesting idea and the Davitas have MM2H so it provides an alternate base, and easy access to Singapore, and not too far to Melaka either. Be interesting to hear what Davita and gang make of the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.