Any MCM parents here ?

Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any MCM parents here ?

Hello B'n'B.
Are you eligible for Visa on Arrival at S'pore? The MACS is not a Visa, you need the visa first and then it allows you to cross at Johor only without getting a stamp.
You may find it difficult getting a hire car in Malaysia and driving to S'pore... insurance is the issue. I know somebody who has done it, but they had to rent for > 1 month.
The Macs pass takes 10 minutes and MYR 30 at the border.... but I think you need to have a S'pre Employment Pass (though not sure... they did ask to see mine).
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello bellynbella!

Happy New Year! Great you have gotten the kids' school sorted. Geedee is asking about visa-on-arrival for Singapore, safe to assume you are British? Geedee is right about the MACS being simply a pass to fast track your going in and out of Johor with the Malaysian immigration, and not get your passport stamped and full before the ten-year expiry comes along. MACS is not a visa. I am a bit surprised that you mentioned the "MACS…will allow me to enter Sing with no issue." Did the school tell you that? The MACS pass won't mean much to the Singapore immigration, or to a car hire company in Johor. You could rent a car, but only as a tourist. And you will have to let them know that you will be going in and out of Johor into Singapore, and the rates will go up once they know you will cross the border. Conversely for Singapore, you can hire a car as a tourist, and their rates too will practically double once they know you will be going into Johor. I had to rent a car in Singapore when we were going back and forth from Sgp to Johor facilitating our move to JB in 2012. There are lots of car and drivers for hire based in JB (in fact this has been brought up in one of the Nusajaya threads, and there is some sort of list). I can give you the contact details of my driver via PM if you wish, our driver and her associates are absolutely reliable.

Geedee says you can apply for the MACS pass on your own, takes 10 minutes at Kompleks Sultan Abu Bakar at Tanjung Pinang/Tuas. But they will ask to see your Singapore Employment Pass or Sgp Dependant Pass. And you mentioned that you need to wait 8 months to apply for the Singapore EP. Since you will not have any at the moment you apply, they might not give you the MACS pass, as it is only given to Singapore citizens/ PR/ EP/ DP/ Work Permit holders. You've mentioned getting the MACS pass through the school, but then again it takes some time. Several years ago the MACS pass was expedited for residents of Horizon Hills/ East Ledang/ Ledang Heights through the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA). I have no idea if that is still in effect as I do not live there. But if you have managed to rent a place in those areas, the IRDA should be able to help you get the MACS.

You have mentioned too that you will be going to Singapore everyday. Please do be careful with doing this. Since you are still waiting to apply for the Singapore EP, as you have said, that means you are only on a tourist visa. If you keep crossing the border without the Singapore EP, the red flags will start to go up with both the Singapore and Malaysia immigration. Going back and forth everyday means that you are working, and after a month or so of doing this, they will start asking you questions. No amount of explaining that it takes the Singapore Ministry of Manpower ages to process an EP, will fly. The Singapore ICA is its own entity. Both borders will need to see that visa that qualifies you to reside and work, be it in Singapore or Johor.

The bottomline is, please get your Singapore EP sorted out very soon. It really will make your move so much easier, believe me. Good luck!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute