Writing my resignation - but what do i put??

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:19 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Writing my resignation - but what do i put??

well, as its so quiet around here, just wondered what i should put in my resignation letter?
could be honest, but that wont go down too well.....and id have to say goodbye to a decent reference!

so, c'mon you knowledgable lot....what do i put?

thinking aloong lines of;
------------------------------------------------
Dear matron,
I wish to give 4 weeks notice of my resignation from my post as D grade staff nurse on ##.
my reasons for resigning are many, but mainly due to family problems and child care issues.

(dunno how to sign off....) do i put yours faithfully?

----------------------------------------------------
any help gratefully received!!!!

sue
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Writing my resignation - but what do i put??

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
well, as its so quiet around here, just wondered what i should put in my resignation letter?
could be honest, but that wont go down too well.....and id have to say goodbye to a decent reference!

Dear matron,
I wish to give 4 weeks notice of my resignation from my post as D grade staff nurse on ##.
my reasons for resigning are many, but mainly due to family problems and child care issues.

sue

Sign off yours truly, keep it professional as you may need a decent reference in the future
You could always tell a little lie and state that you have enjoyed your time there before you give your reasons for leaving

Di
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:33 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Sign off yours truly, keep it professional as you may need a decent reference in the future
You could always tell a little lie and state that you have enjoyed your time there before you give your reasons for leaving

Di

hi di, thanks for replying,

so if i put something like ''I have enjoyed my time working on ##, but due to family pressures and childcare issues I feel unable to continue working there at present.''
or is that a bit too....um.......feeble?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

My mate once wrote his resignation on a beer matt, and told the nursing officer to 'stick the job up his a**e'. He is now a wagon driver!!

Maybe not the best advice for you
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sue
You do not need to give an explanation.

Just state your intention to resign and give a date.

Good luck

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

as grayling said, you dont need to give a reason. you could just say youve enjoyed your time in that post and wish the ward well for the future
its creepy but they like it and if you need a ref in the future you havent upset anyone
Trish
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:47 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

is resignation the only option?

I'm thinking about taking a 5 year career break, that way I'll be able to keep my options open, and if I decide not to come back, then I'll have to think about a resignation leter.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinkerbell

I'm thinking about taking a 5 year career break, that way I'll be able to keep my options open, and if I decide not to come back, then I'll have to think about a resignation leter.
I wouldnt be able to do that on my unit, and if i could, I wouldnt want to go back as I would rather cut all ties here, just my personal thing but our unit definitely wouldnt allow a 5yr break, we havent got enough staff, mind you we never have
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tinkerbell

Im also applying for a 3 year career break, just in case. My boss seems to think it will be ok. They will seccond somebody into my post. Hopefully I can put in my resignation after we are settled.

Paul
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:45 pm

Hi,
thanks for all the replies!
re the career break - for anyone contemplating this, make sure you get confirmation in writing from HR BEFORE you take the break regarding wages, holiday entitlement etc, especially if you are on a term time contract.
I did this last year (I was working 24 hours a week, 38 weeks termtime) and in september took a career break, after the clot in HR told me id just pick up next september where i had left off with regards to salary and annual leave etc (as id been in post for exactly 12 months). A month into the break, i got a letter from payroll saying as id taken this break they had overpaid me something like £1500 (as the term time salary is averaged out over the 12 months) and could they have it back please. I got onto the phone and spoke to clot, who denied ever saying what she did.
lesson learned!!

I shall keep my resignation brief and to the point...thanks for the advice!

sue
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:05 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimtrish
as grayling said, you dont need to give a reason. you could just say youve enjoyed your time in that post and wish the ward well for the future
its creepy but they like it and if you need a ref in the future you havent upset anyone
Trish
Yes, I've done that in the past when writing resignation letters, always helps to keep things sweet as you never know when you may need a reference, or bump into the same people in the future and it could be awkward if you used Paul's suggestion!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bridiej
Yes, I've done that in the past when writing resignation letters, always helps to keep things sweet as you never know when you may need a reference, or bump into the same people in the future and it could be awkward if you used Paul's suggestion!

definitely, sometimes it pays just to keep everyone happy, you never know when it may come back and bite you on the bum if not
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
definitely, sometimes it pays just to keep everyone happy, you never know when it may come back and bite you on the bum if not
It's like the old saying:

"Always be nice to people when you are on the way up as you may meet them again on the way down"

G
Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:38 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue,

There's a website for everything:

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/default.asp

Good luck!

Nichola

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

Dear matron,

sue
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Re: Writing my resignation - but what do i put??

Hi Sue !
What did I miss ? Are you on the way AT LAST ???? Or are you just r-e-a-l-l-y looking forward to the day ?
Regardless , as mentioned before , keep it simple. "As of today , I am giving you 4 weeks notice of resignation." kind of thing. No explanation needed. It's very "British" to explain and apologise for everything and I am learning not to do it here. I'm not sure , if I like it though , or if I just feel rude !
Truth is , if you got on fine in the department before you left , if you ever needed to , you would get your job back tomorrow, especially as a "D" Grade.The NHS is desperate for nurses with experience.(as are the hospitals in Australia)
All the best,
Tass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.