Working as a doctor in Oz Mk 2

Old Jul 14th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

YingGuoNing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as a doctor in Oz Mk 2

I am a British citizen, but I am studying clinical medicine in China. I was planning to return to the UK to work as a doctor, but I need to take the PLAB exam before I can apply, and I can only take the PLAB exam after I have qualified, which means I cannot apply to start working immediately upon qualification, but would rather have to waste a year in between.

Therefore I have been researching the possibility of starting off on my medical career in Australia. However, I would appreciate a bit of clarification off anyone in the know.

Basically, it seems that the application process is very different in Australia compared with the UK. Essentially, in the UK, one has to start applying almost a year in advance, whereas, if I'm not mistaken, one only needs to start applying about one month before qualification to work in Australia. Specifically, the instructions on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) website say, as far as graduates from outside Australia are concerned, that "students apply for registration 4 to 6 weeks before completing their course, under Graduate Applications....AHPRA finalises assessment, confirms registration, publishes new graduates’ names on the Register of Practitioners and sends out registration certificates. New graduates registered with their profession’s National Board are eligible to start working as soon as their name is published on the Register of Practitioners".

So, if I go this route, how long would it take normally to secure an "internship" post? I read on a different website that "Junior medical positions are generally advertised in July/August for commencement in January the following year". Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Would it be possible to start in August? I will be graduating in June 2014 and would prefer to start working as soon as possible. Starting in the UK in August 2014 would be ideal, but seems to be impossible (August 2015 would be the earliest opportunity), so is my next best option to start in January 2015 in Australia, or could I possibly start earlier?

Sorry for the long post, but this is causing me a lot of headaches. I might end up wasting a year simply because the UK won't allow concurrent applications for the PLAB and for the Foundation Programme, but rather PLAB has to be completed before applying for the Foundation Programme.

If anyone has any better ideas about working in other countries, that would also be appreciated, baring in mind that my medical degree will be from China and thus not recognised everywhere.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

TH80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dr_Ruaridh
The other thing I forgot to mention is that you can claim tax back when you leave the UK for the income you earned in your previous UK job. You need to fill in the p85 inland revenue form, and send off your p45 form from your former employee. Apparently you can get a good chunk of money back.
Thanks for all of that info. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the PESCI? I have just been told by my employer in Queensland that I will have to sit this at a cost of A$2000! I have friends doing similar jobs who are not required to. Does anyone know if there is a way of getting round this? Thank you.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

LizaUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Thank you to everyone who has put up such helpful info. I'm planning to move to Brisbane and am a paediatrics reg...have been told by all the recruitment agencies that the best was is to apply through the RMO campaign. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

RMO is a QLD Health (state) programme. I have contacts inside the private health sector who would also be interested in your services. Have you obtained your AHPRA registration (or applied) yet?

Originally Posted by LizaUK
Hi, Thank you to everyone who has put up such helpful info. I'm planning to move to Brisbane and am a paediatrics reg...have been told by all the recruitment agencies that the best was is to apply through the RMO campaign. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

LizaUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi genorm,
Thank you for your response. I haven't yet obtained my AHPRA registration,I have been volunteering in west Africa for the past 6 months so I have begun my AMC registration but not yet completed it as am unable to get all my documents copied here,however I will be back on the UK next week so will do this as soon as possible. I would be very grateful if you or your contacts do have any potential opportunities for me.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

fm85 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very helpful, thank you!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

SarahSav is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we're in a slightly different position but I was wondering if anyone might be able to help..
My husband is looking at fellowships in Australia for a year - do the same processes mentioned above apply?
Ideally I would like to work too, I would be half way through radiology training in the UK, I've had a look on the locum agency websites and there don't seem to be radiology reg jobs out there; has anyone got any suggestions?
We'd be bringing out ours kids who'll be 7 and 4, does anyone have any ideas how the school system works and how I could apply for place(s).
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:09 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
Have a look at https://www.racp.edu.au/index.cfm?ob...B66AFA67CCDB6E
Its the RACP page but it outlines the basic process I think
WRT schools, we brought our kids over aged 6 and 5 at the time. Once you know we're you're going to be you apply to a school of your choice. For state run (known as public schools here) you need to be in their catchment area. Prob less of an issue for private schools. In some states (incl NSW where we are) you have to pay for your kids education if you're not a permanent resident - its approx $5000 per child per year.
more info here School education | australia.gov.au