Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

Why do Australian Nurses think they are thre best in the world

Why do Australian Nurses think they are thre best in the world

Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Australian Nurses think they are thre best in the world

Originally Posted by ireland
No not the NUM of the unit , I am one of the after hours nurse managers
Well done, good luck with that...not one I would like too much stress. good on you though
Old May 29th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugo
I work in Melbourne and to me and many immigrant nurses that I work with, there seems to be this feeling that Australian Nurses believe they are better than everyone else.

Experience from other countries is not recognized and they regularly undermine overseas Nurses.

I an an emergency nurse with 10 years emergency experience, I trained in the UK and this is my 3rd country that I have lived/worked in. I don't have a post grad diploma/cert and if i want to do any more than a new grad can do I need this qualification. So I can't work in resus, can't triage, and am limited with the acuity of the patients I see. Its the same for everyone who doesn't have a post grad. If I wanted to spend 18 months doing a post grad it would cost around 14000$ to 18000$ buck that I would have to pay for. I am not eligible for a HEX loan or grants etc. My pay would only increase by 50 bucks a fortnight with this qualification.

To be totally honest the attitude of some of the staff particularly the educators has put me off emergency nursing, I totally hate it now. So am looking at working community, something I thought I would do when I was in my 10 yrs prior to retirement lol not when I am 31. When I started i showed them the competencies from the NHS, they both asked me what 'NHS Trust' meant and turned their noses up at it. Like they pretended they didn't know what the NHS is, scary if they weren't pretending, surely they read papers written in the UK!!

Now I am a part timer and work is merely a means to an ends, I used to love it but Melbourne hospitals have sucked all of that out of me. Seriously do not move for your career unless you are prepared to spend big bucks to get your post grad qualifications.

Same. Was warned before I left, especially about the hospital I ended up working in. I have been in ED for 20 years and I used to teach for the European Resus council and my workplace wouldn't accept my qualifications. I became increasingly frustrated by this and contacted the Australian Resus council who immediately called me in to start teaching again.They said it was absolute nonsense as all the ALS guidelines etc were adapted from the European ones.My work still didn't accept this and so I continued teaching with the Australian Resus council,which made me feel better about myself and very much treated my work as somewhere I HAD to go to earn a wage.
Good luck to you.
All the best,
Tass.
Old May 29th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Things are much worse in Mental health.
Things are much worse in Mental health.

Grayling !

It never changes does it ?? Nobody believes you until they're here !
Hope you are well.

All the best,
Tass.
Old May 29th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimtrish
Well done, good luck with that...not one I would like too much stress. good on you though
Trish !!!!

Hello !! Haven't been on here forever !!

Hope things are fine with you !!

All the best !

Tass. xox
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
Trish !!!!

Hello !! Haven't been on here forever !!

Hope things are fine with you !!

All the best !

Tass. xox

Hello!!!!!!

haha I hardly come on here...not because I don't want to, its just life is abit busy...moving out bush soon...cannot wait! will be fantastic.
What are you up and where are you? Life is good for me...doing Clinical facilitating at the hospital...really good job and fabulous people...Student nurses from 3 different Uni's and also EEN students...love it, cannot believe how lucky I am. I would never have had this opportunity in the UK so the last 6yrs have been the best ever(can you believe its been 6yrs since we left)...oh and we're citizens too haha

take care

xx
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:33 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Ireland, Tass and Jimtrish!

you guys need to go and do an update!!!!!!

hope you are all well ...

sue
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Hiya Ireland, Tass and Jimtrish!

you guys need to go and do an update!!!!!!

hope you are all well ...

sue

Hey Sue!

hope you are well

good to see you still on here...we are like old timers now
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

amomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really nice

I'm in my 3rd year of mental health nursing in Scotland, and we were told in our first day that UK training is one of the best blah blah. Think you get this type of attitude anywhere, even in the wards you come up against that attitude as a student when trying to talk about the new stuff you've learned

I'm hoping to come straight out to work in Mental Health in Aus, it's a daunting prospect but it might be easier just coming straight out (If I can get a job!) rather than working here for a couple of years
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

we have had a new starter at my hospital...ex military nurse he ended up as a Commander of a military hospital...seen 3 tours of duty..operated on people in the field ect ect...is the only person in the hospital with a formal First Assistant qualification and do you know what our manager said.....IS THAT REAL NURSING!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah Gotta love em
Old Jul 9th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

nurseval is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hope you dont mind me adding.. have to admit am rather worried reading this..

I currently work in A&E was hoping to do the same in OZ although only been workin in A&E for 7 months have past experience in cardiac CCU and general nursing..

Was hoping to apply either in Melbourne or Brisbane....

Are there any hospitals that need to be avoided in matter of opinion etc :S
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nurseval
Hi hope you dont mind me adding.. have to admit am rather worried reading this..

I currently work in A&E was hoping to do the same in OZ although only been workin in A&E for 7 months have past experience in cardiac CCU and general nursing..

Was hoping to apply either in Melbourne or Brisbane....

Are there any hospitals that need to be avoided in matter of opinion etc :S
I think you have to make your own mind up wherever you go, I can only speak for the hospital I work in and ones my friends work at....Townsville, Sunshine Coast, Cairns and Brisbane...all excellent. Everywhere will have good and bad just like the UK

Goodluck though