Why did you become a nurse? research for my OU course

Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Why did you become a nurse? research for my OU course

[QUOTE=Margaret3;6802113]this is gonna sound awful, but one of the main reasons was to get outta home and i could stay in the nurses home.

LOL!! Hi Mags !
Me too !! I left home at 15.Worked in the WIMPY as Mr Wimpy !! Got fed up being rolled down hills in a beefeater costume and moved to TESCOs as a checkout chick. Trained in every area in the shop and accidently found nursing. When I trained , it was like an apprenticeship. You learned and got payed at same time.Good career choice as I got somewhere to live too !!! Got paid 280 GBP a month and had to pay 68GBP in rent , but i was rich!!Those were the days, lots of hot water, heating , my own room and a lot of fun !! Have been stuck in the job since.Would move out it tommorrow and I do have my finger in a lot of pies but reality is I am a mother of 2 and a home owner, need to be sensible sometimes !!!
Never harboured a desire to be a nurse, but that doesn't mean I'm crap at it !!
Anyway !!
All the best !
Tass. x
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Peatbog Faerie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why did you become a nurse? research for my OU course

I had a close relative with terminal illness and really admired the nurses who cared for her thought i would like to do that too dont regret my decision at all
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Saw a lot of shit going down in Rwanda and decided there and then to dedicate my life to caring for sick kids
Were you in Rawanda? were you working for a charity or were you a peace keeper?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all

I feel guilty, I got into nursing purely because I need a steady job with security. Love it now I've moved jobs
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
The above question has come up in my OU course, Communication in health and social care, so i thought it would be interesting to see if the answers i get from people on here, tally with the resposes the work book gives me.
As i haven't got any study group to discuss this with i thought nurses on the forum would be kind enough to give me their views.

I personally trained as an EN in 1988 straight from 6th form as i always wanted to be a nurse from being small. Worked as a voluntary worker at my local hospital aged 14 -18 and loved it. I never felt academic enough to do the RGN training and was happy to be the hands on caring nurse(that was how it was described to me in the 80's).
Thanks in advance to any one who answers
Mandy

Saw an ad in the local paper for change my career....so I did~!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Lewis2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I initially became a nurse as, nursing provided an apprenticeship type of training. 18 and needing to work, have a place to live and being paid at the same time to learn! Fell into the gender divide with regards to employment. Parents who encouraged based on the maxim of `you`ll never be out of work, its a valued profession, variety in the working day, differing career opportunities and you`ll be able to travel`. All have applied! Still question all these years later (25years qualified, anniversary 2 days ago ) whether it would have been preferable to have been a mature entrant. Some of the early years in the job were difficult..I feel so much for beginning practitioners, probably derive my greatest satisfaction from guiding and supporting. Disagree with view regarding those who have always wanted to be a nurse seem to exhibit more favorable practice, knowledge and skills! A very ill conceived notion! More likely to be driven by an individual`s belief in lifelong learning and how this shapes personal and professional development.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness gracious-so many answers to this one! My dad was a heating engineer at an Ear, Nose and Throat hospital so,as a young child, I saw (and was mightily impressed by) plenty of nurses in Flying Nun style caps gliding around wearing immaculate while dresses, lovely silver belt buckles and blue capes. They looked elegant and CAPABLE. I wanted to be those things. By the time I was 16 (1971) I wanted to join the Queen Alexandra's Army Nursing Corps. My parents were NOT keen. This sounds rather Victorian but independence and further education were not encouraged for girls in my family. According to my folks, the only way I was going to leave home was as someone's wife. So, I shelved my plans and went into drafting. After marrying, emigrating to the USA, subsequently getting divorced , I was laid off from my drafting job in 1985. So, at 29 years of age and promising myself "As God is my witness I will NEVER be laid off again" I decided to go to nursing school in Pennsylvania and, after having been an RN for 20 years haven't regretted my decision.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your varied responses, it certainly helped with my course work and as i suspected your answers showed going into nursing is not as clear cut as the course book indicated.
Unfortunatly i failed my exam by 1 point so despite lots of hard work and passing the course work i am unable to gain the certificate in Communication in health and social care, nor the points towards my BSc. I was offered a resit exam but have declined as i am starting my final course shortly as well as moving back to the Uk while i wait the visa process and hoping to do a return to nurse course. So i didn't want to over load my stress levels
Mandy
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:41 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Thank you all for your varied responses, it certainly helped with my course work and as i suspected your answers showed going into nursing is not as clear cut as the course book indicated.
Unfortunatly i failed my exam by 1 point so despite lots of hard work and passing the course work i am unable to gain the certificate in Communication in health and social care, nor the points towards my BSc. I was offered a resit exam but have declined as i am starting my final course shortly as well as moving back to the Uk while i wait the visa process and hoping to do a return to nurse course. So i didn't want to over load my stress levels
Mandy
Mandy, you were so close (can you get it remarked?),
I'm sorry to learn you didn't pass but good luck with the rest of your studies. I think you are very wise not doing too much.
Terese
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terese677
Mandy, you were so close (can you get it remarked?),
I'm sorry to learn you didn't pass but good luck with the rest of your studies. I think you are very wise not doing too much.
Terese
I agree with Therese. Ask for a re-mark. One point is too close.
Best wishes for the future.