Where to start!

Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Kelto is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Where to start!

Hi can anyone help?

Am trying to start the ball rolling to move to NSW. visa, register with the NSW nursing board, look for job where do I begin? think i need to register first, then find job as I want to get a sponsered visa (think i need job first?) but not sure.

is it easier/better with a recruitment agency? if so any recommendations?

and then there are blood tests and xrays when does that come in...AAARGH!!!

any ideas would be great
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:23 pm
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to start!

Hi Kelto,

I can't help much with the application process as I am recently Australian trained.

Just thought that I would let you know that NSW seems to be entering turbulent times at the moment. The Dept of Health wants over $60million cut from the staffing budget.

Many hospitals in NSW (including where I work) are planning on not using casual or agency staff and axing all overtime, as these cost significantly more than permanent staff. Apparently they are going to use "smart rostering" to fill the deficit but haven't explained how this will work yet!

You might be interested in this article http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by sjo

Just thought that I would let you know that NSW seems to be entering turbulent times at the moment. The Dept of Health wants over $60million cut from the staffing budget.

Many hospitals in NSW (including where I work) are planning on not using casual or agency staff and axing all overtime, as these cost significantly more than permanent staff. Apparently they are going to use "smart rostering" to fill the deficit but haven't explained how this will work yet!

That sounds exactly what the NHS was like when I left.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kelto
Hi can anyone help?

Am trying to start the ball rolling to move to NSW. visa, register with the NSW nursing board, look for job where do I begin? think i need to register first, then find job as I want to get a sponsered visa (think i need job first?) but not sure.

is it easier/better with a recruitment agency? if so any recommendations?

and then there are blood tests and xrays when does that come in...AAARGH!!!

any ideas would be great
Hi,
Do you want to go on a temporary or permanent visa? Assuming its a permanent the first thing you need to do is to work out how many points you have:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm

You need 120 points for a 175 visa. If you don't have the points there are ways that you can increase the points you have or as an alternative there may be other permanent visa's you can go on.

If you want to go on a 457 temporary visa you need to find a job with a hospital who is willing to sponsor you for the visa. This allows you to stay for up to 4 years.

Mark
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:05 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

you can either go through an agency or apply direct to the hospital where you want to work.
if you go through an agency you tend to be on the basic salary, whereas applying direct to a hospital you can gain increments for your years' experience.