UK trained nurse, midwife and health visitor

Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Cazluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK trained nurse, midwife and health visitor

Hello wanting to introduce myself.
I qualified as a nurse in 2001 and then went on to train as a midwife in 2003 and practiced as a midwife from 2005 to 2015. I am currently working as a health visitor and was hoping to move to Canada, Calgary more precisely, either as a nurse or as a health visitor. I'm a bit lost as to how to start the process but I am trying to read all the available traides so I don't ask questions which have not yet been asked.
Sorry for this long text.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK trained nurse, midwife and health visitor

Starting point would be checking out CARNA website for International Educated Nurse and requirements. Have seen public health nurses but Not health visitors and they are registered as RNs first
Old Aug 27th 2017, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

mikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK trained nurse, midwife and health visitor

<snip>
The first step if you want to practice as a nurse is to get your credentials assessed by the NNAS / SNEI
Every IEN has to go through this process now before they are allowed to apply to the provincial nursing regulator (CARNA in your case). It took me a year start to finish to get a license to practice as a nurse. They don't have health visitors in the same way as we do in the UK but they do have visiting RN's who look after families and children.
Alberta do register midwives separately from RN's. Some provinces don't. You need to apply directly to the College of Midwives of Alberta to practice as a midwife, they will assess your credentials but you wouldn't be able to practice as nurse/health visitor equivalent. The midwifery route might be quicker, I'm afraid I can give you no guidance on that.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 27th 2017 at 5:18 pm. Reason: Site Rule 9 - no mention of, or links to, your blog please.