British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   UK trained nurse in Australia without AHPRA registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/uk-trained-nurse-australia-without-ahpra-registration-902611/)

onedream Aug 29th 2017 5:17 am

UK trained nurse in Australia without AHPRA registration

Hi everyone, Am new here. I had to move to Australia with my family two months ago due to his job. We were hoping he would go first before the whole family joins him but changed our mind at the last minutes due to our kids school. Due to this, I had to quickly gather and send my documents to Ahpra before we travelled. We finally moved to Australia first week of July.

This is where my problem lies; AHPRA got back to me last month to produce a proof of English language proficiency as I missed the eligibility with 6months. Meanwhile, while I was waiting for them, I wrote two IELTS in UK and cleared other sections but got 6.5 in writing. Since being in Australia I have written IELTS three times and keep missing writing with 0.5. I was very disappointed with my last one as I got writing 5.5, though i wrote it differently after learning to write with different help online:o.

After my fourth IELTS, I had to book PTE as time was against me. I practiced PTE on youtube for one week and I gave my PTE exam two weeks ago for the first time and scored above 75 in all sections except speaking in which I got 50. I gave another PTE yesterday and got almost the same result as the the first one, this time speaking was 51:zzz:. I noticed my voice was faint when i tested the recording. Please what should I do? I have wasted money on IELTS and now PTE as well. I need help.
Should I go for OET given that I am a nurse, but am worried about starting all over again with a different exam format. Or may be take paid lessons with IELTS trainers, but how sure am I that I will scale through next time. I don't read news and most of writing topics are not really from everyday life. Last one I got 5.5 scared me as I practiced online and hubby helped me as well, yet it was my lowest. I don't even know how to change my speaking in PTE. I followed the tips for fluency. I feel like improving my speaking may be harder than learning IELTS writing.??

My main worry now is that time is passing and I haven't even secured a job yet. I started applying for jobs and I have been getting unsuccessful. I don't know how long I am allowed to be off work as a nurse. I don't want to start the rigorous process of coming back to practice. I was doing well as a nurse in UK. I really don't want to end up staying at home.
sorry for ranting and long story.