UK registered Pharmacist moving to the US

Old Feb 14th 2023, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Inspiron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK registered Pharmacist moving to the US

Hi

I'm a registered Community Pharmacist, working as a locum,with ,managerial experience for 10 years. I want to know wether its best to gain experience,then work for a chain like Walgreens or work as a locum hospital or community and in which state.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK registered Pharmacist moving to the US

Originally Posted by Inspiron
Hi

I'm a registered Community Pharmacist, working as a locum,with ,managerial experience for 10 years. I want to know wether it's best to gain experience,then work for a chain like Walgreens or work as a locum hospital or community and in which state.
The answer may depend on if you have the freedom to work for whoever you choose to or not, so to help people respond to you accurately can you just clarify what visa you'll be on? Or if you're an American citizen?

Thx.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

I'm assuming its a work-permit visa having gained the prerequisite resident experience in the US as a Pharmacist
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming its a work-permit visa having gained the prerequisite resident experience in the US as a Pharmacist
Ah, ok. So if you'll need an employment based visa then you will only be authorised to work for your sponsoring employer on that.

If they are happy to support your 'green card' application further down the line, you will then be able to work for anybody (which is why a lot of employers are reluctant to sponsor green cards).

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 14th 2023 at 10:15 am.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Then after how many years, becoming a permanent US resident etc. does the ability to work for anyone happen?
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Then after how many years, becoming a permanent US resident etc. does the ability to work for anyone happen?
As soon as you're a Legal Permanent Resident (have a 'green card') you can work for anyone. How long it takes to get to that point will depend on how amenable your employer is to sponsoring it (some have a requirement to work for them for x years first, some won't sponsor at all), and the category they apply under (some employment based categories are much quicker than others).
Old Apr 20th 2023, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I am a retired U.S. pharmacist and worked part time for a county hospital until 2012. In the 90’s there was a big shortage of pharmacist in the US but the number of pharmacy schools has doubled since then. There is now an over supply which could make finding a job very difficult. Are you knowledgeable about what it would take to get licensed in US with UK credentials? I am not but you should look into that as it may not be easy to do. Any updates to your status or progress?