UK qualified Dental Nurse going to Vancouver, Canada

Old Oct 18th 2018, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Declans1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK qualified Dental Nurse going to Vancouver, Canada

Hello expats community,

My name is Declan and I plan on emigrating to Vancouver in the next few years on a 2 year work permit.

Im wondering if anyone has gone through the process of being a dental nurse here in the UK and applying for education or work in Canada.

I have seen seen a few posts on here but they are quite old and would like to know if there has been a recent case of someone going through the process.

As as far as I’m aware, I would need to evaluated by the NDAEB and if my qualification isn’t up to standards then I could be offered an upgrade course.

Im currently qualified by the NEBDN with a national diploma.

I would appreciate any any help whatsoever.

Kind regards,

Declan Stephens
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Missyg85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK qualified Dental Nurse going to Vancouver, Canada

Hi,

also looking to do the move in future and work as a dental nurse out there, seems like a long drawn out affair although have the uk national diploma also.

Did you find any info out on the process? Any info be much appreciated.

thanks

Gem
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gem,

I am still no closer to figuring out the process. Whilst the details by the NDAEB are useful.
They still don’t provide any answers on the upgrade course, costs or duration.

When they mention upgrade course, what I assume they mean is just doing the whole course from start and not evaluating what knowledge you have gained in your previous education.

Which for one is a lot of wasted time and very expensive. But I can understand that they have to get to your standards.

I plan on going on a two year work permit, most of these courses are a year or so long so I don’t know if it’s even possible and that means I’ll be spending lots of money for the education and having a job for only a year.

I do plan on staying out there but it’s just a major hassle and I wish I had answers.

Ive emailed as many colleges in Vancouver/ BC as much as possible, I’ve emailed the dental surgeon board, dental assistant board, NDAEB.
Not one bit of useful information.

I may just just email NDAEB and see if they can provide and contacts that way.

If you find out any info, please post here.

Declan
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Missyg85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah was a lot easier in australia, went on a working holiday visa and you could just apply for jobs, none of this nonsense, dont think ill put myself through the same course again, seems silly paying to do a course twice for the same job.

Think i'll wait out to see if australia alter there visa system. I did apply for free assessment for canada but i think thats more entry/visas into stayin there long term with an immigration company, be ideal if an agency just sorted it for us n we just sent the docs over haha.Will keep you updated if i find any more info

thanks for responding

Gem
Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

LeazaCRM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I know this thread is a few years old, I was wondering if you had any update as I am a qualified Dental Nurse in the UK and was looking to go to work in Canada for a year or 2 but not sure on the best way to go about it.
I would really appreciate any advice that you could give.
Many thanks,
Leaza
Old Jan 25th 2020, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LeazaCRM
Hi,
I know this thread is a few years old, I was wondering if you had any update as I am a qualified Dental Nurse in the UK and was looking to go to work in Canada for a year or 2 but not sure on the best way to go about it.
Many thanks,
Leaza
Hi Leaza,

Unfortunately I have given up on this. I think there are only 2 ways of going about this. 1. You have to complete their education over there and be qualified under their Dental Assisting boards or 2. Get sponsored by a practice or surgery by emailing around and see who could employ you and fund your education whilst working.

It really sucks as it's a shame that the national diploma allows you to travel to most places and work with that qualification.
Even the Oral Health Science degree which allows you to work as a hygienist isn't recognised from the UK.

I wish you the best in your attempt to get there. I went to Vancouver a few years ago and loved it there. For me, I won't ever be able to live and work there due to personal reasons.

Kind regards,

Declan
Old Jan 25th 2020, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Many thanks,
Leaza
Are you looking to continue to work as a dental nurse when you get to Canada, or just want to go over and do any job i.e. a year or two on a working holiday visa?

Plenty of people manage to be able to work as dental nurses in Canada, but the question will be whether it would be worth it if you only wanted to go for a year or two. It'll take time and money unfortunately. Also would depend on if you qualified for a visa without a job offer/sponsorship - much easier if you don't need that first.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Declans1991
Hi Leaza,

Unfortunately I have given up on this. I think there are only 2 ways of going about this. 1. You have to complete their education over there and be qualified under their Dental Assisting boards or 2. Get sponsored by a practice or surgery by emailing around and see who could employ you and fund your education whilst working.

It really sucks as it's a shame that the national diploma allows you to travel to most places and work with that qualification.
Even the Oral Health Science degree which allows you to work as a hygienist isn't recognised from the UK.

I wish you the best in your attempt to get there. I went to Vancouver a few years ago and loved it there. For me, I won't ever be able to live and work there due to personal reasons.

Kind regards,

Declan
Hi Declan,

Thank you for your quick reply with really helpful information! :-)

I haven't been to Vancouver but I went to Calgary & Banff etc. last year on a holiday and was really interested in going long term but I really wasn't sure how it all worked with the UK Dental Nurses Qualification as I had read somewhere that you had to re-qualify.

That's a shame that it didn't work out for you in living there, but wish you all the best for your future plans

Many thanks!

Leaza
Old Jan 27th 2020, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you looking to continue to work as a dental nurse when you get to Canada, or just want to go over and do any job i.e. a year or two on a working holiday visa?

Plenty of people manage to be able to work as dental nurses in Canada, but the question will be whether it would be worth it if you only wanted to go for a year or two. It'll take time and money unfortunately. Also would depend on if you qualified for a visa without a job offer/sponsorship - much easier if you don't need that first.
Hi,
I haven't tried applying for a working/holiday visa yet as I wanted to look into whether it was a possibility to work in the field I am qualified in - which is a Dental Nurse but I was struggling to find much information on it.
I have seen on bunac.com website they can assist in helping to get a job / assist in organising trips round Canada in between but I'm not a skier (though I'm sure I could learn..) so the Ski jobs didn't really appeal to me. I'm not sure whether it is worth trying to apply for the visa without trying to find a job or whether it's worth just saving up a fair chunk of money and just travel round Canada for a few months instead.
Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2020, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I haven't tried applying for a working/holiday visa yet as I wanted to look into whether it was a possibility to work in the field I am qualified in - which is a Dental Nurse but I was struggling to find much information on it.
I have seen on bunac.com website they can assist in helping to get a job / assist in organising trips round Canada in between but I'm not a skier (though I'm sure I could learn..) so the Ski jobs didn't really appeal to me. I'm not sure whether it is worth trying to apply for the visa without trying to find a job or whether it's worth just saving up a fair chunk of money and just travel round Canada for a few months instead.
Thanks
If you wanted to stay working as a dental nurse, then definitely more difficult/expensive/time consuming. But if you're prepared to do any job, then IEC is your easiest and quickest route over there, and a possible route to PR as well. You don't have to work in a ski resort! Maybe a dental receptionist or similar would work, and you could look in to trying to qualify alongside working? I personally wouldn't bother with BUNAC, I'd just get the IEC myself and find a job once there.

If you wanted to go under the 2020 program (i.e. at some point in the next year - 16 months ish), then don't delay in applying as the pool is already open so you'll need to get in asap to stand the best chance.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

If you wanted to stay working as a dental nurse, then definitely more difficult/expensive/time consuming. But if you're prepared to do any job, then IEC is your easiest and quickest route over there, and a possible route to PR as well. You don't have to work in a ski resort! Maybe a dental receptionist or similar would work, and you could look in to trying to qualify alongside working? I personally wouldn't bother with BUNAC, I'd just get the IEC myself and find a job once there.

If you wanted to go under the 2020 program (i.e. at some point in the next year - 16 months ish), then don't delay in applying as the pool is already open so you'll need to get in asap to stand the best chance.

Best of luck.

Thank you for that! I have just started the process and fill out the questionnaire to see what I would be eligible to apply for and it came back with the IEC. Fingers crossed that it goes well! I will let you know when I hear back.

Many thanks for you all your advice!
Old Jan 27th 2020, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I have just started the process and fill out the questionnaire to see what I would be eligible to apply for and it came back with the IEC. Fingers crossed that it goes well! I will let you know when I hear back.
Just checking, but this is the official eligibility test on the IEC website? Just wanted to check you hadn't filled in an immi consultants questionnaire as it sounds a bit odd that you were seeing what you were eligible for?
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Just checking, but this is the official eligibility test on the IEC website? Just wanted to check you hadn't filled in an immi consultants questionnaire as it sounds a bit odd that you were seeing what you were eligible for?
well I googled IEC and went on Canada.ca and it said on there to take a free questionnaire to see if I was even eligible to apply for a visa and if I was, which would be the most suitable one to go for. It then directed me to the cic.ga.ca website for the application process after the questionnaire said I was eligible for the IEC work/holiday visa

Not sure why it’s odd to check on the free questionnaire whether I would actually be likely to pass the process with my information so far?