British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   UK Nurse to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/uk-nurse-usa-944591/)

Leannes908 Jul 1st 2022 12:50 pm

UK Nurse to USA

Hi

I am looking to relocate to the USA where I have family in Arizona (auntie and uncle so unable to go on any family-type visa). I am a nurse in the UK currently, I have done the credential evaluation process through the CGFNS where they determined that my degree is comparable to a nursing degree in the United States. I am now wondering what the next step is for those who have undertaken it? So far, I have contacted the Arizona board of nursing but haven’t received a reply of yet, I also need to look into sitting my NCLEX. Just feeling a bit lost with what to do next.

christmasoompa Jul 1st 2022 1:00 pm

Re: UK Nurse to USA

Hi, welcome to BE.

Can't help with the nursing side of things, but would it just be you going or do you have a spouse/partner that might be more likely to get a visa that would lead you to Arizona?

If you hunt around the forums you'll hopefully find loads of relevant info to get you started (including the US forums, where there are often threads on nursing too).

Best of luck.

Leannes908 Jul 1st 2022 1:03 pm

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately I don’t have a partner that’s in a job that would make us eligible for the visa😞

Thank you.

Leanne

Pulaski Jul 1st 2022 2:01 pm

This question comes up 2-3 times every year, and there are some fairly long threads that have discussed different aspects of the issues of a UK-trained nurse qualifiying to work in the US and findig work here. .... If you look in the top right corner of this screen, there are two boxes that say "Threads" and "Search Threads ....". If you put <NCLEX> (without the < & >) in the box that says "Search threads" then hit search, you should be given a list of (mostly) threads that discuss immigrating to the US as a nurse. :)

The one thing I would say though, is don't set your sights on a single state for work, it is going to be challenging enough to qualify and find work, so be prepared to take a job in a different state, then perhaps move later once you have some US experience under your belt.

Silverdragon102 Jul 2nd 2022 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Leannes908 (Post 13126236)
Hi

I am looking to relocate to the USA where I have family in Arizona (auntie and uncle so unable to go on any family-type visa). I am a nurse in the UK currently, I have done the credential evaluation process through the CGFNS where they determined that my degree is comparable to a nursing degree in the United States. I am now wondering what the next step is for those who have undertaken it? So far, I have contacted the Arizona board of nursing but haven’t received a reply of yet, I also need to look into sitting my NCLEX. Just feeling a bit lost with what to do next.

I found Arizona pretty quick to respond but have you submitted your application with them and has CGFNS sent your CES report to them? If yes then you will eventually receive an email stating you have the okay to sit NCLEX and can then arrange with Pearsonvue to sit it. I am going back several years since corresponding with Arizona but I haven’t heard bad things just that things slowed down with the pandemic

Esther140 Nov 1st 2022 5:47 pm

Hello, how were you able to successfully evaluate your credentials with CGFNS please?
I am a UK trained nurse currently struggling with this.

Originally Posted by Leannes908 (Post 13126236)
Hi