Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Old Jul 3rd 2016, 9:45 am
Just Joined

essjaynurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Hello All,

I have been looking in great detail about moving to Canada and working as a nurse. I was trained in the UK as an adult nurse a few years ago and have seen that Nurses in Canada are generally trained. In order to practice in Canada I would need theoretical and practical experience in Obstetrics, child health and mental health.

My question is does anyone know of any course that would get me this experience either here or in Canada? And if it is in Canada would I go there on a student visa? And can my family come with me? (Husband and two children)

Thank you everyone!

Essjay
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

There isn't anywhere in the UK that you make make up the clinical and theory hours. Depending on the province College of RN's will depend on route you need to take but that usually isn't determined until after they assess your paperwork. Starting point would be NNAS
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 10:35 am
Just Joined

essjaynurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
There isn't anywhere in the UK that you make make up the clinical and theory hours. Depending on the province College of RN's will depend on route you need to take but that usually isn't determined until after they assess your paperwork. Starting point would be NNAS
That's great,thank you Silverdragon. I've seen many of your posts and found them very helpful so far!

I'm looking to work in Ontario and have been looking at IEN bridging courses but am not sure if they would be appropriate for my situation.
But I shall start with the NNAS, thanks again

Essjay
Old Jul 9th 2016, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Rwilkins1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

My NNAS account has just changed to ready to review.. How long does it take to issue the report? I'm assuming that is what's happening now.

Thanks
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essjaynurse
Hello All,

I have been looking in great detail about moving to Canada and working as a nurse. I was trained in the UK as an adult nurse a few years ago and have seen that Nurses in Canada are generally trained. In order to practice in Canada I would need theoretical and practical experience in Obstetrics, child health and mental health.

My question is does anyone know of any course that would get me this experience either here or in Canada? And if it is in Canada would I go there on a student visa? And can my family come with me? (Husband and two children)

Thank you everyone!

Essjay
You can do a bridging program in Calgary, Alberta if you want to practice here. You have to go through NNAS, if they deem you need further assessment of your knowledge and skills they may offer you a SEC assessment or the bridging program. I opted for the full bridging program as I didn't want to fly to Vancouver to sit the SEC Assessment with the likelihood being that I would have to do some studying. I wanted to be in Canada so a 10 month bridging program was do-able. We are here on my student visa, husband has a spousal open work permit. We brought our two kids, aged 10 and 14 yrs and they are settled.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Laois
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peeshpie
You can do a bridging program in Calgary, Alberta if you want to practice here. You have to go through NNAS, if they deem you need further assessment of your knowledge and skills they may offer you a SEC assessment or the bridging program. I opted for the full bridging program as I didn't want to fly to Vancouver to sit the SEC Assessment with the likelihood being that I would have to do some studying. I wanted to be in Canada so a 10 month bridging program was do-able. We are here on my student visa, husband has a spousal open work permit. We brought our two kids, aged 10 and 14 yrs and they are settled.

Laois

Peeshpie, my girlfriend is a mental health nurse and we're aiming for Alberta, she has just started the NNAS process and so we're not sure what they will require of her yet. is the bridging course full time? How are you supporting yourselves while you complete the course?
I'm an engineer and with the economy I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to find work whereas they seem to really need nurses.
Old May 5th 2017, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Sarahjane88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an adult trained nurse, three years qualified, who is also seeking to move to Ontario. I am finished with the NNAS experience (thank god!). As expected, my training was found to be non comparable and the CNO put me through the IENCAP (Internationally Educated Nurse Competency Assessment Programme). I studied for this independently in addition to taking a 2-day course in the UK to gain skills such as auscultation and paid for a 1-day private preparation course in Ontario to get me through this. I found out two weeks ago I satisfied them enough to be forwarded for the NCLEX. Bridging course was not required!
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

UKhelbai73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarahjane88
I am an adult trained nurse, three years qualified, who is also seeking to move to Ontario. I am finished with the NNAS experience (thank god!). As expected, my training was found to be non comparable and the CNO put me through the IENCAP (Internationally Educated Nurse Competency Assessment Programme). I studied for this independently in addition to taking a 2-day course in the UK to gain skills such as auscultation and paid for a 1-day private preparation course in Ontario to get me through this. I found out two weeks ago I satisfied them enough to be forwarded for the NCLEX. Bridging course was not required!
Hi Sarah Jane

Have you received any feedback/info to suggest when you pass the NCLEX you will be able to practice? Just that some posts suggest even when the NCLEX has been passed yo still need to make up some practical hours?

Also, could you advise where/who you contacted re the 1 day private prep course in Ontario?Any advice appreciated! Helen
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

UKhelbai73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peeshpie

Laois
Hi Peeshpie

I have been considering the same move as yourself and signing up for a bridging program. I have a hubby and 2 kids of similar age but am worried re financially supporting them as my hubby's profession is teaching and not really required as far as I can gather! Do you have family support in Canada or did you just take the plunge? Has your hubby found work? Sounds like all is working out well for you which is great!I'd be very grateful for any advise - thanks very much, Helen
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Sarahjane88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKhelbai73
Hi Sarah Jane

Have you received any feedback/info to suggest when you pass the NCLEX you will be able to practice? Just that some posts suggest even when the NCLEX has been passed yo still need to make up some practical hours?

Also, could you advise where/who you contacted re the 1 day private prep course in Ontario?Any advice appreciated! Helen
Hi Helen,

Certainly the CNO have not mentioned anything about making up practical hours. They sent a letter following my IENCAP to confirm I am eligible to sit the NCLEX and outlined what requirements I have yet to meet. As it stands, I just need my NCLEX (which I sit on the 23rd Sept in London) and a visa before I am able to practice.

I used the CNCAP for private tuition, and although I couldn't make the date for the scheduled class, they accommodated me 1-on-1 with the tutor. Of course, I did pay a little extra! The link is below:
http://cncap.ca/exam-prep-course/osc...e-exam-review/