UK nurse looking RE: advice CGFNS

Old Aug 24th 2023, 11:52 am
Just Joined

thescottishguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK nurse looking RE: advice CGFNS

Good afternoon
Im looking for general advice with regards to CGFNS, im looking to relocate to Georgia (atlanta).
Im well aware that UK nurse training differs from US based training, currently im a registered general adult nurse, (degree) qualifying in 2006 and currently about to complete Msc in Advanced Clinical Practice having worked as an ANP in General Older Adult and Psychatric Services for the last 5 years.
Therefore my question is obviuosly im going to be missing elements of training in accordance with US nursing standards, but can these hours be topped up by doing voluntary hours in the fileds that are missing e.g. peads ? And is the CGFNS the only organisation that will be accepted to check credentials, seems like a bit of a cash cow, according to reviews.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

ThistleinUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse looking RE: advice CGFNS

Originally Posted by thescottishguy
Good afternoon
Im looking for general advice with regards to CGFNS, im looking to relocate to Georgia (atlanta).
Im well aware that UK nurse training differs from US based training, currently im a registered general adult nurse, (degree) qualifying in 2006 and currently about to complete Msc in Advanced Clinical Practice having worked as an ANP in General Older Adult and Psychatric Services for the last 5 years.
Therefore my question is obviuosly im going to be missing elements of training in accordance with US nursing standards, but can these hours be topped up by doing voluntary hours in the fileds that are missing e.g. peads ? And is the CGFNS the only organisation that will be accepted to check credentials, seems like a bit of a cash cow, according to reviews.
Hi there
I am a UK trained nurse who qualified and worked in Scotland since 2014. I also qualified with BSc Adult Nursing.
I recieved my CES report stating my training was "acceptable of an American Standard". I was absolutely overjoyed when I saw this as Im sure you are aware there is a lot of negativity around UK trained nurses trying to get over and work in the USA.
Some advice - be prepared for a VERY long wait - just over a year it had taken me to have my degreee evaluated and approved. This is down the CGFNS and they're terrible communication but also down to my University - they sent my transcripts x3 and they were lost! Emphasise the importance that they are sent tracked. Also be prepared they will likely ask for additional info/condensing of transcripts - the CGFNS are so particular. Lisa closely and directly with the person responsible for doing your transcripts at the University.
It can be very expensive - I paid the expedited fee and it still took me a couple months as they constantly asked for clarification/more info but it is so worth it.
I would also explore other credential evaluation services - each state uses different providers. I applied to Pennsylvania - they only use CGFNS and Josef Silny (as of just a year ago) so worth comparing reviews before you commit.
In regards to hours, I think it really depends on your placements also. If you have had areas such as A&E etc that will boost your practical hours. Each state also has different hour requirements for both theory and practical but these are not available to us the public it appears. You can however try what ever states board of nursing re hour requirements and they may disclose this to you.
FYI - I had health visiting, community nursing, general acute medical/surgical wards and nursing home placements so just run of the mill placements and they seemed happy with that! Hopefully in your first year of theory you will have had some form of hours in paediatric/mental health theory.
One more piece of advice is if this is your dream don't give up! I did so many times as you feel caught in the middle of the evaluator and the Uni and you feel everything is out of control. The forum allnurse.com has a few success stories from UK trained nurses so don't lose hope - my username on there is ScottishNurse22.
After all this - I actually got married to my now husband and travelled on an L2 visa! We literally just arrived in the USA this week!!! But still plan to work as a nurse in the future - I haven't sat my NCLEX, nor am I ready.
Your MSc and ANP experience will help you massively for the responsibilities/duties of nurses in the USA.

Good luck in your journey, hope some of this info helps!
Update us on your journey and if you have any questions/anything I can help with let me know!
Old Jan 29th 2024, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

ThistleinUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse looking RE: advice CGFNS

Originally Posted by ThistleinUS
Hi there
I am a UK trained nurse who qualified and worked in Scotland since 2014. I also qualified with BSc Adult Nursing.
I recieved my CES report stating my training was "acceptable of an American Standard". I was absolutely overjoyed when I saw this as Im sure you are aware there is a lot of negativity around UK trained nurses trying to get over and work in the USA.
Some advice - be prepared for a VERY long wait - just over a year it had taken me to have my degreee evaluated and approved. This is down the CGFNS and they're terrible communication but also down to my University - they sent my transcripts x3 and they were lost! Emphasise the importance that they are sent tracked. Also be prepared they will likely ask for additional info/condensing of transcripts - the CGFNS are so particular. Lisa closely and directly with the person responsible for doing your transcripts at the University.
It can be very expensive - I paid the expedited fee and it still took me a couple months as they constantly asked for clarification/more info but it is so worth it.
I would also explore other credential evaluation services - each state uses different providers. I applied to Pennsylvania - they only use CGFNS and Josef Silny (as of just a year ago) so worth comparing reviews before you commit.
In regards to hours, I think it really depends on your placements also. If you have had areas such as A&E etc that will boost your practical hours. Each state also has different hour requirements for both theory and practical but these are not available to us the public it appears. You can however try what ever states board of nursing re hour requirements and they may disclose this to you.
FYI - I had health visiting, community nursing, general acute medical/surgical wards and nursing home placements so just run of the mill placements and they seemed happy with that! Hopefully in your first year of theory you will have had some form of hours in paediatric/mental health theory.
One more piece of advice is if this is your dream don't give up! I did so many times as you feel caught in the middle of the evaluator and the Uni and you feel everything is out of control. The forum allnurse.com has a few success stories from UK trained nurses so don't lose hope - my username on there is ScottishNurse22.
After all this - I actually got married to my now husband and travelled on an L2 visa! We literally just arrived in the USA this week!!! But still plan to work as a nurse in the future - I haven't sat my NCLEX, nor am I ready.
Your MSc and ANP experience will help you massively for the responsibilities/duties of nurses in the USA.

Good luck in your journey, hope some of this info helps!
Update us on your journey and if you have any questions/anything I can help with let me know!

PS. Just saw this was posted in Aug 2023 - would love to know if you've pursued things for a career in the USA.
Best wishes