U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA

Old Jul 21st 2022, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Eviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA

Hi there,

There was LOTS of hoops to jump through. It took a long time. Can you dm me and we can chat - ill help any way i can
Old Jul 21st 2022, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Marni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Evi. How to dm you. Not letting me
Old Jul 21st 2022, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Eviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond reputeEviecam67 has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a DM. Let me know if you can reply to it
Old Jul 21st 2022, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

I've just sent you a whatsapp message
Old Jul 21st 2022, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eviecam67
Hi there,

There was LOTS of hoops to jump through. It took a long time. Can you dm me and we can chat - ill help any way i can
It would be super helpful if you could give info on the steps you had to go through on the open forum, so others can benefit from it in the future too.

Thx.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone,

Having been reviewing sites like this for a long time before I finally applied for my transcripts to be evaluated, I knew that as a UK trained nurse, I would be deficient in certain areas such as: maternal/infant, paediatrics and mental health.

Initially my transcript didn't meet the necessary requirements that CGFNS had, They explained I had experience in everything except maternal and infant health, However, one of my community placements involved exposure to it, and therefore after much discussion and verification between my university and CGFNS some of my community hours were transferred to Maternal & infant health. Fortunately, this enabled my CGFNS application to be successful which enabled me to apply to, and be successful in the Board of Nursing putting me forward for my NCLEX exam (which I haven't sat yet).

As a UK trained registered nurse, who has a BSc in Adult Nursing this would normally mean that my transcript and training would be deficient in Maternal Health, ObstetrIics, Peadiatrics and Mental Health. However, during my training, I had several 7 week community placements which included:

Working with a health visitor who was involved with family planning, pre/post-natal clinics, mother and baby groups, breastfeeding group, home visits for newborns, infants, parents/carers, etc, In addition, every week I spent 4 hours every Monday morning researching and reviewing all the teaching material, local and national policies, evidence based research and practice, peer reviewed articles, learning materials etc and then questioned on these policies by my mentor and her line manager, iI also had a 7 week surgical placement in Gynaecology. These placements more than covered the necessary theory and practice hours required for Maternal and Infant Health.

Regarding Paediatrics - I undertook a 7 week community placement which included dealing patients in a Young Physically Disabled Unit. This included dealing with their physical and mental disabilities. From complete paralysis, verbal and non verbal patients, epilepsy, bi polar, drain care and changes, catheter care, wound dressing, NG tubes feeding, dialysis, diabetes, cerebal palsy, IV fluids, all medication routes etc - there was a vast variety of exposure to caring for children and young adults. Along with the theory covered and learned whilst on the placement, many theory hours were covered during my first year of University (common foundation year).

Mental Health - I had a variety of community placements which included a significant amount of exposure to patients suffering from mental health issues such as: depression, addictions, bi polar, self harming, post natal depression, psychosis, learning difficulties, etc. Many inhouse training days, professional development days took place, along with reviewing and tutorials on all relevant local and national policies, peer reviewed articles, gold standard pathways etc to ensure the best possible care was given, Some theory was also covered in my common foundation year at university. All of this was enough to ensure that I had more than enough theory and clinical hours for this area.

After I got the transcript evaluation from CGFNS I then contacted the Maryland Board of Nursing who then said I was eligible to get my background check and fingerprints taken, then go and sit my NCLEX exam. However, I've just moved to another state and will have to apply the Florida Nursing Board,

All the very best, cheers,

Evie,

Ps: I will put this on a new thread too, just in case someone is looking for this type of info.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Chioma91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Having been reviewing sites like this for a long time before I finally applied for my transcripts to be evaluated, I knew that as a UK trained nurse, I would be deficient in certain areas such as: maternal/infant, paediatrics and mental health.

Initially my transcript didn't meet the necessary requirements that CGFNS had, They explained I had experience in everything except maternal and infant health, However, one of my community placements involved exposure to it, and therefore after much discussion and verification between my university and CGFNS some of my community hours were transferred to Maternal & infant health. Fortunately, this enabled my CGFNS application to be successful which enabled me to apply to, and be successful in the Board of Nursing putting me forward for my NCLEX exam (which I haven't sat yet).

As a UK trained registered nurse, who has a BSc in Adult Nursing this would normally mean that my transcript and training would be deficient in Maternal Health, ObstetrIics, Peadiatrics and Mental Health. However, during my training, I had several 7 week community placements which included:

Working with a health visitor who was involved with family planning, pre/post-natal clinics, mother and baby groups, breastfeeding group, home visits for newborns, infants, parents/carers, etc, In addition, every week I spent 4 hours every Monday morning researching and reviewing all the teaching material, local and national policies, evidence based research and practice, peer reviewed articles, learning materials etc and then questioned on these policies by my mentor and her line manager, iI also had a 7 week surgical placement in Gynaecology. These placements more than covered the necessary theory and practice hours required for Maternal and Infant Health.

Regarding Paediatrics - I undertook a 7 week community placement which included dealing patients in a Young Physically Disabled Unit. This included dealing with their physical and mental disabilities. From complete paralysis, verbal and non verbal patients, epilepsy, bi polar, drain care and changes, catheter care, wound dressing, NG tubes feeding, dialysis, diabetes, cerebal palsy, IV fluids, all medication routes etc - there was a vast variety of exposure to caring for children and young adults. Along with the theory covered and learned whilst on the placement, many theory hours were covered during my first year of University (common foundation year).

Mental Health - I had a variety of community placements which included a significant amount of exposure to patients suffering from mental health issues such as: depression, addictions, bi polar, self harming, post natal depression, psychosis, learning difficulties, etc. Many inhouse training days, professional development days took place, along with reviewing and tutorials on all relevant local and national policies, peer reviewed articles, gold standard pathways etc to ensure the best possible care was given, Some theory was also covered in my common foundation year at university. All of this was enough to ensure that I had more than enough theory and clinical hours for this area.

After I got the transcript evaluation from CGFNS I then contacted the Maryland Board of Nursing who then said I was eligible to get my background check and fingerprints taken, then go and sit my NCLEX exam. However, I've just moved to another state and will have to apply the Florida Nursing Board,

All the very best, cheers,

Evie,

Ps: I will put this on a new thread too, just in case someone is looking for this type of info.
Hello do you mind if I contact you? I am an RN in California but inquiring for my sister who is currently studying adult nursing in the UK and planning on moving to the US after she graduates. How were you able to proof to CGFNS that you were exposed to OBGYN, Peds and mental health? Did all these show on your transcript?
She shared modules with other specialties in her foundation year. My sister had 8 weeks placement in obs and gyn theater where she also took care of pregnant women and infant. She also completed EU Packs on midwifery She did a crossfield training on the Perinatal mental health ward.She was also exposed to patients with different mental health diagnosis in all her placements.
The only exposure she is lacking for placements in peds, although she shared theory modules in her foundation year .I'm hoping she gets that done before she graduates.

I always see people writing that exposure doesn't count that it has to show on your transcript.

Please did all these show on your transcript? If not, how did you proof it? Your response will be highly appreciated.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Chioma91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just sent you a whatsapp message
Hey Evie,
I sent you a message via PM. Please check. Thank you
Old Nov 1st 2022, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Esther140 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a UK Trained nurse still living in the UK. I have been finding it difficult to evaluate my degree.

Hi Laura,

I'm a UK trained nurse BSc. Adult nursing. I live in Maryland and I just completed CGFNS CES application and received my letter from the MD nursing board to say I was successful. I'm now gonna start my NCLEX journey.

It was complicated but I got there eventually. Please feel free to contact me, if i can offer any support or advice. I'm happy to help,

I often felt VERY disheartened with ALL the negativity surrounding UK trained nurses and their missing hours.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 1st 2022 at 5:59 pm. Reason: Please don't ask our members for their personal info, thx.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Esther140
I am a UK Trained nurse still living in the UK. I have been finding it difficult to evaluate my degree.

Hi Esther,

First step is to have your transcript evaluated by CGFNS:

https://www.cgfns.org/services/crede...ademic-report/
Old Jan 5th 2023, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Solidobaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura,

I'm a UK trained nurse BSc. Adult nursing. I live in Maryland and I just completed CGFNS CES application and received my letter from the MD nursing board to say I was successful. I'm now gonna start my NCLEX journey.

It was complicated but I got there eventually. Please feel free to contact me, if i can offer any support or advice. I'm happy to help,

I often felt VERY disheartened with ALL the negativity surrounding UK trained nurses and their missing hours.

Good luck.
Can you guide me how to complete the CGFNS CES application. Thank you
Old Jan 5th 2023, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Solidobaba
Can you guide me how to complete the CGFNS CES application. Thank you
Hi there,

I believe the application format has change since I completed it. However, if you refer to all the guidance notes the form completion should be relatively straightforward. Please clopy/paste the attached link which might help you.
Good luck!

Old Sep 9th 2023, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Naviee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura,

Good luck.

Hi,

I am also BSc Adult Nurse, I moved to states and I am having issues with the hours from CGFNS. Can we connect via email? I had couple of questions. Thank you.
Old Sep 10th 2023, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Naviee
Hi,

I am also BSc Adult Nurse, I moved to states and I am having issues with the hours from CGFNS. Can we connect via email? I had couple of questions. Thank you.

Sure. Please provide your email and I'll contact you.
Old Sep 11th 2023, 8:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. Please provide your email and I'll contact you.
If you click on Naviee's name, one of the options is to email the member.

Naivee - please don't post your email address on open forum as it will risk you being spammed by others.