British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/u-k-nurse-virginia-usa-939009/)

laura257 Jun 9th 2021 4:24 pm

U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA

Hi,

I am a nurse in the U.K. but live in California with my husband and daughter and I’m on an L2 visa. I haven’t got a nurse license here in CA but I’m aware of how difficult it would be to get one.

It looks like we may be moving to Virginia and I was wondering if any U.K. nurses have managed to get their license in Virginia and if I would still have deficiencies in paeds, obstetrics and psych there?

Any information appreciated. Thank you :)

Silverdragon102 Jun 10th 2021 5:41 pm

Re: U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA

Each state is different and some have managed to get licensed but really the only way to know is to apply and see what happens

ottotheboar Jun 13th 2021 12:10 pm

I do not know the process here in Virginia but a friend of one of our sons graduated from University with a degree in nursing.
There are also community colleges to look at.

Eviecam67 Jun 14th 2021 1:56 am

Hi Laura,

I'm a UK trained nurse BSc. Adult nursing. I live in Maryland and I just completed CGFNS CES application and received my letter from the MD nursing board to say I was successful. I'm now gonna start my NCLEX journey.

It was complicated but I got there eventually. Please feel free to contact me, if i can offer any support or advice. I'm happy to help,

I often felt VERY disheartened with ALL the negativity surrounding UK trained nurses and their missing hours.

Good luck.

Tashmash Jul 24th 2021 2:10 pm

Hi Eviecam67

I’m in the process of starting, I’ve applied to CGFNS I’m also BSc adult nursing. Do you mind sharing how you went about the other bits please.. it’s seem quite hard navigating the whole getting to writing NCLEX and all.

Thanks in advance

christmasoompa Jul 25th 2021 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Tashmash (Post 13032796)
Hi Eviecam67

I’m in the process of starting, I’ve applied to CGFNS I’m also BSc adult nursing. Do you mind sharing how you went about the other bits please.. it’s seem quite hard navigating the whole getting to writing NCLEX and all.

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to BE.

Apologies, but your quote hadn't worked so I've had to edit your post. I'm sure you'll get lots of help re: the nursing side of things here though, if you need any other help then the US forums are the place to head to.

Best of luck.