British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/u-k-nurse-virginia-usa-939009/)

laura257 Jun 9th 2021 4:24 pm

U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA

Hi,

I am a nurse in the U.K. but live in California with my husband and daughter and I’m on an L2 visa. I haven’t got a nurse license here in CA but I’m aware of how difficult it would be to get one.

It looks like we may be moving to Virginia and I was wondering if any U.K. nurses have managed to get their license in Virginia and if I would still have deficiencies in paeds, obstetrics and psych there?

Any information appreciated. Thank you :)

Silverdragon102 Jun 10th 2021 5:41 pm

Re: U.K. nurse to Virginia, USA

Each state is different and some have managed to get licensed but really the only way to know is to apply and see what happens

ottotheboar Jun 13th 2021 12:10 pm

I do not know the process here in Virginia but a friend of one of our sons graduated from University with a degree in nursing.
There are also community colleges to look at.

Eviecam67 Jun 14th 2021 1:56 am

Hi Laura,

I'm a UK trained nurse BSc. Adult nursing. I live in Maryland and I just completed CGFNS CES application and received my letter from the MD nursing board to say I was successful. I'm now gonna start my NCLEX journey.

It was complicated but I got there eventually. Please feel free to contact me, if i can offer any support or advice. I'm happy to help,

I often felt VERY disheartened with ALL the negativity surrounding UK trained nurses and their missing hours.

Good luck.

Tashmash Jul 24th 2021 2:10 pm

Hi Eviecam67

I’m in the process of starting, I’ve applied to CGFNS I’m also BSc adult nursing. Do you mind sharing how you went about the other bits please.. it’s seem quite hard navigating the whole getting to writing NCLEX and all.

Thanks in advance

christmasoompa Jul 25th 2021 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Tashmash (Post 13032796)
Hi Eviecam67

I’m in the process of starting, I’ve applied to CGFNS I’m also BSc adult nursing. Do you mind sharing how you went about the other bits please.. it’s seem quite hard navigating the whole getting to writing NCLEX and all.

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to BE.

Apologies, but your quote hadn't worked so I've had to edit your post. I'm sure you'll get lots of help re: the nursing side of things here though, if you need any other help then the US forums are the place to head to.

Best of luck.

Chioma91 Sep 11th 2021 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Eviecam67 (Post 13017328)
Hi Laura,

I'm a UK trained nurse BSc. Adult nursing. I live in Maryland and I just completed CGFNS CES application and received my letter from the MD nursing board to say I was successful. I'm now gonna start my NCLEX journey.

It was complicated but I got there eventually. Please feel free to contact me, if i can offer any support or advice. I'm happy to help,

I often felt VERY disheartened with ALL the negativity surrounding UK trained nurses and their missing hours.

Good luck.

Hello, I'm a US trained RN living in California. My sister is an Adult RN in UK, interested in moving to the US. Do you mind sharing how the process went? I can't private message you because I'm a new member and this is my first post. I will really appreciate

Silverdragon102 Sep 12th 2021 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Chioma91 (Post 13050316)
Hello, I'm a US trained RN living in California. My sister is an Adult RN in UK, interested in moving to the US. Do you mind sharing how the process went? I can't private message you because I'm a new member and this is my first post. I will really appreciate

A lot will depend on the state your sister wants to live and work in plus transcripts. If California is the state then it’s one of the toughest US states to register with

Chioma91 Sep 12th 2021 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 13050608)
A lot will depend on the state your sister wants to live and work in plus transcripts. If California is the state then it’s one of the toughest US states to register with

She is open to any state that will accept her. Did you go through the same process? If yes, do you mind sharing the agency you used and a little bit about the process? Will really appreciate

Silverdragon102 Sep 12th 2021 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chioma91 (Post 13050611)
She is open to any state that will accept her. Did you go through the same process? If yes, do you mind sharing the agency you used and a little bit about the process? Will really appreciate

I did the process many years ago and I was fortunate to train as a general nurse so didn’t have any issues with meeting US state requirements. We have seen posts from many who do struggle to meet requirements because on how the UK trains their nurses but some have managed to meet some states and others don’t. Definitely a luck of the draw. I eventually moved to Canada but remember the painful process of applying and using CGFNS

deatras124 Mar 18th 2022 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Eviecam67 (Post 13017328)
Hi Laura,

Good luck.

Hi,

My partner is a Neonatal nurse and she is trying to apply for NCLEX in US, however, she doesn't have the clinical hours in adult and mental health, as she has been working in Neonatal since she finish her BSc, do you think it will be hard for her to apply? Do you know how to meet the clinical hours that the BON require? Thank you.

Eviecam67 Mar 18th 2022 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by deatras124 (Post 13102078)
Hi,

My partner is a Neonatal nurse and she is trying to apply for NCLEX in US, however, she doesn't have the clinical hours in adult and mental health, as she has been working in Neonatal since she finish her BSc, do you think it will be hard for her to apply? Do you know how to meet the clinical hours that the BON require? Thank you.

Hi There,

It was a VERY complex journey, however my undergrad degree and training fulfilled the criteria with CGFNS. I'm now eligible to sit my Nclex.

PM me and I will help anyway I can.

deatras124 Mar 19th 2022 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Eviecam67 (Post 13102233)
Hi There,

It was a VERY complex journey, however my undergrad degree and training fulfilled the criteria with CGFNS. I'm now eligible to sit my Nclex.

PM me and I will help anyway I can.

Hi I wanted to PM you but the system won't let me. Did you go to universities to top up your hours?

Eviecam67 Mar 19th 2022 11:14 pm

Hello,

No - my undergraduate degree met all the theory and practical hours required for US licensure.

Marni Jul 21st 2022 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 13050608)

Hello, sorry for bother again . I m uk trained nurse which state is accept our degree without any troubles?thanks