Training in uk or oz?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Axle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Training in uk or oz?

Hi all,

I am looking at a career change as I am very disillusioned with my current job, and also love to move to oz! I'm looking at nursing, no prior experience. Would I be better to study and train in the uk or oz?

Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training in uk or oz?

UK. Costs $1000s over here x
Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Axle is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your reply....if I were to train in the uk, would I need to have work experience or can I apply for jobs in oz once I have completed my training?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

You could apply straight away but it's preferable to at least do your grad year first as it could be hard to get a place to do it here x
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

You probably have a better chance of getting a job if you do train in Oz. That way you can do your practical training (on the wards) and hopefully impress someone and get on the graduate program.

Be warned. Many of the health services are cutting back here, not recruiting. There are so many qualified immigrants coming over, immigrants and non-immigrants studying nursing, so the job market here is very tough. My (large) health service doesn't sponsor overseas people anymore and doesn't give out many permanent positions to Ozzies or immigrants.

Currently, doing nursing as a way to get a visa, I wouldn't recommend.

Last edited by adiestubbs; Aug 28th 2013 at 10:42 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a visa fo Aus you would have to pay international student fees to train here - many many thousands of dollars
The fees are expensive enough for residents who get a commonwealth supported place but international fees are extortionate and Uni's make a lot of money from them (as they do in the UK from international students).