Telephone interview next week!!!!!

Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

heggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really nice
Default Telephone interview next week!!!!!

HELP!!!

I have an interview next week with Fremantle Hospital for their GN program!!!!!!! Although panic not quite set in yet, they've told me that as part of the interview i'll have to complete a case scenario - anyone got any ideas of the kind of things I may be asked??

Anyone else had a telephone interview from Fremantle? Any tips on making sure I don't look a complete a*se!!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:52 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone interview next week!!!!!

Originally Posted by heggie
HELP!!!

I have an interview next week with Fremantle Hospital for their GN program!!!!!!! Although panic not quite set in yet, they've told me that as part of the interview i'll have to complete a case scenario - anyone got any ideas of the kind of things I may be asked??

Anyone else had a telephone interview from Fremantle? Any tips on making sure I don't look a complete a*se!!
Can't help with the nurse aspect of it all, but there is an article about telephone/video interviews in the article section that might help with some tips.
http://britishexpats.com/articles/ca...one-interviews

Good luck, I'm sure you will blow them away

Sue
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

HELP!!!

Hi, when I had my telephone interview my case scenario was "if a Doctorasked me to do something that I knew was wrong, what would I do?"....This was easy for me as it had recently happened so I was able to advise how I handled it (which obviously was to be diplomatic and not do what was asked of me and ask for a senior member of staff to assist)...

I was also asked a lot about universal precautions, how I would act if I didn't get on with someone at work, bullying etc...

I find that in Australia they are very pro education so make sure that you are willing to undertake lots of courses and express this to them. They are always willing to further themselves educationally which is great for us as we can tap into their resources.

good luck!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

heggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really nice

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Hi, when I had my telephone interview my case scenario was "if a Doctorasked me to do something that I knew was wrong, what would I do?"....This was easy for me as it had recently happened so I was able to advise how I handled it (which obviously was to be diplomatic and not do what was asked of me and ask for a senior member of staff to assist)...

I was also asked a lot about universal precautions, how I would act if I didn't get on with someone at work, bullying etc...

I find that in Australia they are very pro education so make sure that you are willing to undertake lots of courses and express this to them. They are always willing to further themselves educationally which is great for us as we can tap into their resources.

good luck!

Cheers for the tips and good luck messages, was yours for a grad nurse position too?

I've never done phone interviews before - face to face are bad enough, but at least they can get a better idea about you.

Thanks Sue for the article - really good advice.

Will let you know how it goes (providing the nerves hold out!).
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Cheers for the tips and good luck messages, was yours for a grad nurse position too?

I've never done phone interviews before - face to face are bad enough, but at least they can get a better idea about you.

Thanks Sue for the article - really good advice.

Will let you know how it goes (providing the nerves hold out!).

No, mine was for a staff nurse position but I had only been qualified for a year at the time so I think they were treating me like I was a grad nurse.

With telephone interviews you have to remember to speak a little bit slower (time difference and all that) and speak clearly. I had actually spoken to my partner over the phone in a mock interview so I could get some tips. I tend to speak quickly when a bit nervous so it helped me a lot.

Make sure that you get to ask lots of questions too like will you have a mentor, will there be a nurse educator on the ward to help you with finding information, how many inservices they have a week, are staff encouraged to give inservices to help with their educational needs, how many days per year does the hospital give to allow nurses to go onto courses etc.... Also ask about nurse to patient ratios as in some hospitals its quite bad and the staff are worked horribly, so being grad nurse you want to have as much support as possible. A couple of grad nurses in my hospital have worked nights with a student nurse all on their own which I think is awful practice.

I was more nervous than I needed to be for mine. It lasted for about 25 mins, they asked what I thought my job entailed (I'm a theatre nurse), where I wanted to be in about 5 years time, work scenarios and a couple of other bits and bobs. On the whole it was an easy interview.

You will be find, just make sure you that you research the hospital first and do a little bit of homework to ensure that the hospital is defo where you want to go.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Hi,

I had an interview for the GN Programme at Rockingham General few months ago. Lasted about 30 minutes and I was asked half a dozen questions

1. Think of an occasion where you have had to assess, plan, implement and evaluate care of a patient and what would you do differently?

2. Poisons Act and Nurses Act

3. Why is legislation important?

4. You are on a surgical ward you are ready to give the pre-med and realise the consent for is not signed, what procedure would you follow?

5. Strengths weaknesses, etc usual suspects

All in all, was better than face to face. You can download the Guidelines from the Nurses Board of Western Australia website, asked a few questions about that.

Good luck, BTW I start in Feb '07

Carol xx

QUOTE=hedgehog-girl]No, mine was for a staff nurse position but I had only been qualified for a year at the time so I think they were treating me like I was a grad nurse.

With telephone interviews you have to remember to speak a little bit slower (time difference and all that) and speak clearly. I had actually spoken to my partner over the phone in a mock interview so I could get some tips. I tend to speak quickly when a bit nervous so it helped me a lot.

Make sure that you get to ask lots of questions too like will you have a mentor, will there be a nurse educator on the ward to help you with finding information, how many inservices they have a week, are staff encouraged to give inservices to help with their educational needs, how many days per year does the hospital give to allow nurses to go onto courses etc.... Also ask about nurse to patient ratios as in some hospitals its quite bad and the staff are worked horribly, so being grad nurse you want to have as much support as possible. A couple of grad nurses in my hospital have worked nights with a student nurse all on their own which I think is awful practice.

I was more nervous than I needed to be for mine. It lasted for about 25 mins, they asked what I thought my job entailed (I'm a theatre nurse), where I wanted to be in about 5 years time, work scenarios and a couple of other bits and bobs. On the whole it was an easy interview.

You will be find, just make sure you that you research the hospital first and do a little bit of homework to ensure that the hospital is defo where you want to go.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Hi,

I had an interview for the GN Programme at Rockingham General few months ago. Lasted about 30 minutes and I was asked half a dozen questions

1. Think of an occasion where you have had to assess, plan, implement and evaluate care of a patient and what would you do differently?

2. Poisons Act and Nurses Act

3. Why is legislation important?

4. You are on a surgical ward you are ready to give the pre-med and realise the consent for is not signed, what procedure would you follow?

5. Strengths weaknesses, etc usual suspects

All in all, was better than face to face. You can download the Guidelines from the Nurses Board of Western Australia website, asked a few questions about that.

Good luck, BTW I start in Feb '07

Carol xx

QUOTE=hedgehog-girl]No, mine was for a staff nurse position but I had only been qualified for a year at the time so I think they were treating me like I was a grad nurse.

You will be find, just make sure you that you research the hospital first and do a little bit of homework to ensure that the hospital is defo where you want to go.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks both for this info - fab and should help loads.

Carol - I am heading for Mandurah and will have to drive to Fremantle if I get it, I did put down Rockingham as my first choice (cos its nearer), but I was late applying and only able to be considered for Aug 07 as most Feb 07 places taken. Have you qualified yet?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

I had a telephone interview for the Mount hospital in Perth in August (and we are going out in January) hopefully to live in Rockingham.

Telephone interviews are bizarre - I was in the conservatory (the only quite place away from the kids!), in my dressing gown :scared: as the interview was at 7am! The difficulty is that you get no visual cues, expressions body language etc - so you have no idea how you are doing! But I suppose it is the same for them.

I guess they like what they see on the CV, references etc and the interview is to make sure you are not a complete drongo!

My post is as a clinical nurse in orthopaedics, and the qustions were very similar a simple scenario on what to do if the ward was short staffed, questions on accountability and responsibility.

It was all over after half an hour and they offered me the job ata 2.1 - so I was well chuffed they have nominated me for a 2 year temporary visa and then are going to sponsor me for PR when we get there.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

I passed my interview on monday for a place on a grauate nurse programme in queensland, everyone said it would be more of a chat, but it was very indepth,they asked me about:

-my role regarding patient safety
-what I would do in the event of a MI,
a post op patient with low blood pressure,
an exacerbation of COPD,
caring for an unconscious person.
-moving and handling
- how I would go about doing something I hadn't done before
-asked what categories some drugs fell into and how they worked.

and I'm sure there were more, but I was so stressed afterwards I think it made me forget some stuff. hope this helps, but no matter how well u prepare, there'll be some Qs you haven't anticipated
shell
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses - certainly given me lots of things to think (and panic) about. I'll let you all know how it goes! Fingers crossed!!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the responses - certainly given me lots of things to think (and panic) about. I'll let you all know how it goes! Fingers crossed!!
Don't get in to much of a panic about it, the advantage of a telephone interview is that you can have a few notes or prompts in front of you (don't have to much other wise you wont be able to find what you are looking for).

Make sure that you write down the interviewers names to help you to remember them - don't be afraid to ask them to repeat or rephrase a question if you are unsure - this can also help buy you some time to think and can lead to the interviewer dropping a hint.

If you need a couple of minutes to think of a response just tell them that is what you are doing as they are unable to see that you are thinking or planning a response and it can be a bit disconcerting if the line goes dead!

A technique I often use is to try and ask them questions and get them talking - it's a balancing act as some interviewers don't like this, but I always try to turn a couple of there questions around and get them talking so I don't have to!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

don't you find that all interviewers give you the opportunity to ask questions at the end? i don't think that by asking questions in the middle, they will ask you less.

also bear in mind it is hard to guage how the the interview is going as you can't see the expression on their faces

I'm sure you'll be fine, you find you'll rhym all these things of that you know without even realising you know them

shell
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Telephone interview next week!!!!!

Cheers guys for all your advice & support - been worth it cos I GOT THE JOB - yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview went well & they were so nice and friendly don't know why i'd made myself feel so sick/nervous about it. Sounded all good stuff from what was said so waiting for info through the post next week. Was so excited after she told me I forgot to ask what the wages were like, which is kinda important really!

Sposed to be starting Aug next year but I can start earlier if i want so that's good providing i sell the house quickly we should be over there by about June (ish) hopefully. Now to go hunting for schools - what fun!

Sorry for not posting before but have had to work extra hours this week & electrics in house playing up so no computer. Thanks for helping calm me down & support me - definately helped! Will update you all when I get more info.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Cheers guys for all your advice & support - been worth it cos I GOT THE JOB - yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview went well & they were so nice and friendly don't know why i'd made myself feel so sick/nervous about it. Sounded all good stuff from what was said so waiting for info through the post next week. Was so excited after she told me I forgot to ask what the wages were like, which is kinda important really!

Sposed to be starting Aug next year but I can start earlier if i want so that's good providing i sell the house quickly we should be over there by about June (ish) hopefully. Now to go hunting for schools - what fun!

Sorry for not posting before but have had to work extra hours this week & electrics in house playing up so no computer. Thanks for helping calm me down & support me - definately helped! Will update you all when I get more info.
Congratulations Heggie,

It's a great feeling knowing that you are going out there and have a job lined up waiting for you.

What sort of things were you asked?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:55 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Crogratulations!!!!! You must be over the moon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.