Sunshine Coast Private

Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice
Default Sunshine Coast Private

Hia,

Hoping to get a 457 Visa and work at the Sunshine Coast Private as a New Grad in Dec 2009.

Does anyone have any information on what the hospital may be like to work at. I have heard some negatives about private hospitals what do you all think?

I am aware of being tied in, I am aware its in a remote setting, visited it last year, have 3 kids and a husband so wanting the quite life in a rural ish setting.

Opinions gratefully received do not hold back!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine Coast Private

Originally Posted by ruthnurse
Hia,

Hoping to get a 457 Visa and work at the Sunshine Coast Private as a New Grad in Dec 2009.

Does anyone have any information on what the hospital may be like to work at. I have heard some negatives about private hospitals what do you all think?

I am aware of being tied in, I am aware its in a remote setting, visited it last year, have 3 kids and a husband so wanting the quite life in a rural ish setting.

Opinions gratefully received do not hold back!
I have worked at the sunshine coast private for the past 18 months and also worked there 1999 to 2001 when here on a temp visa. On the whole it is a good hospital, the rates of pay for private are very good and they do all the salary packaging etc. They have expanded a lot and have medical/surgical/CCU/ICU/cardiac catheter lab/day surgery and mental health ward which I work on. They have students too from various uni's so have a dedicated education programme. One of the reasons I went back was that the staff I originally worked with had remained so they have a good staff retention rate which is good news. They have training paid for and are generally quite supportive of your needs. I have worked in other areas there too. Of course, it is not perfect, staff have their grumbles (including me) and you will need to get used to some very different ways of working as well but that would be the same wherever as nursing in Aus is ''different''. I think you could do a lot worse for a place to work so if you have the offer of the grad programme there I would go for it. PM me if you want to know anything more specific.

Last edited by kitty4; Feb 24th 2008 at 7:05 pm. Reason: loads of typos
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way - it's not in a remote setting - it's near Buderim on the Sunshine Coast - a few mins from Mooloolaba and Maroochdore. It is, however, set in lovely grounds, backed with rainforest and is relatively quiet compared to the average public hospital.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by kitty4
I have worked at the sunshine coast private for the past 18 months and also worked there 1999 to 2001 when here on a temp visa. On the whole it is a good hospital, the rates of pay for private are very good and they do all the salary packaging etc. They have expanded a lot and have medical/surgical/CCU/ICU/cardiac catheter lab/day surgery and mental health ward which I work on. They have students too from various uni's so have a dedicated education programme. One of the reasons I went back was that the staff I originally worked with had remained so they have a good staff retention rate which is good news. They have training paid for and are generally quite supportive of your needs. I have worked in other areas there too. Of course, it is not perfect, staff have their grumbles (including me) and you will need to get used to some very different ways of working as well but that would be the same wherever as nursing in Aus is ''different''. I think you could do a lot worse for a place to work so if you have the offer of the grad programme there I would go for it. PM me if you want to know anything more specific.
That is fantastic! I am so grateful for your reply. We visited Sunshine Coast Last year and loved it, my brother lives there with his family and my father hopes to move out there too. I am trying to understand WHAT the differences are between public and private as you may know Private here in England means very expensive and lovely!! and the nurses earn more than in Public hospitals. I have been working at 3 hospitals during my training, getting lots of experience in different trusts and its been a great experience. I am not worried where I am based, I am happy to nurse wherever I am. I have 3 children and I liked Buderim for the schools and the way of life, it is similar to where we live in England and that appealed to my husband and I.

I do have one other concern if you are able to assist? Can I apply for the QNC Registration BEFORE I complete my studies? This would make things much quicker for us.

Thanks for taking the time to write to me, I am very grateful! Ruth
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

By the way - it's not in a remote setting - it's near Buderim on the Sunshine Coast - a few mins from Mooloolaba and Maroochdore. It is, however, set in lovely grounds, backed with rainforest and is relatively quiet compared to the average public hospital.
Thanks so much for responding.

We visited last year and fell in love with Buderim! and the surrounding areas. It is very similar to where we live in England and shouldn't be a huge adjustment for the children.

We drove to the Sunshine Coast Private and I loved the setting, which is what appealed to me and the thought of working there became a dream!

I guess I am also considering Gympie and Nambour Public Hospital if you have any information on those I would be grateful....

I have looked online and Nambour one looks massive... Although I have worked at the 2 biggest hospitals in Bristol, I am keen to be somewhere smaller.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much for responding.

We visited last year and fell in love with Buderim! and the surrounding areas. It is very similar to where we live in England and shouldn't be a huge adjustment for the children.

We drove to the Sunshine Coast Private and I loved the setting, which is what appealed to me and the thought of working there became a dream!

I guess I am also considering Gympie and Nambour Public Hospital if you have any information on those I would be grateful....

I have looked online and Nambour one looks massive... Although I have worked at the 2 biggest hospitals in Bristol, I am keen to be somewhere smaller.
I also do a bit of casual at Nambour the big public hospital. Where you want to work depends a lot if you particularly want a public hospital or private. You will get more variety and acuity in the public hospitals and a bit better pay. Private hospitals here generally pay less but the Sunshine Coast Private - owned by Uniting Health - a not for profit organisation - came out in a comparison study as one of the better private employers for pay and conditions. I agree, Buderim is lovely and if you have 3 children it is a good central location with schools etc. Of course, if you work at the hospital at Buderim, your travelling is minimal. Nambour is a pig to find parking and there is a long waiting list for staff car park permits. There are pros and cons to working in either I suppose. Depends also on what area of nursing you want to end up in as well. The wards get busy at the Sunshine Coast, so it's not boring, but if you want high acuity, the publicsector may give you more openings. At the sunshine coast you will probably be rotated on med/surg/theatres - Nambour will def be mostly med/surg and maybe one or two other options.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

I do have one other concern if you are able to assist? Can I apply for the QNC Registration BEFORE I complete my studies? This would make things much quicker for us.

Thanks for taking the time to write to me, I am very grateful! Ruth
I doubt very much that you can apply for QNC reg before you have completed studies as you need to provide evidence of UK registration. However, I have no experience of UK nurses coming here newly qualified on grad programmes, although more and more do it now. Probably a good thing to come newly qualified as it may be easier to adjust. Maybe whoever you apply to can advise on this. If you need contact details for the person who co-ordinates the progammes at the sunshine coast I can PM them.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

I doubt very much that you can apply for QNC reg before you have completed studies as you need to provide evidence of UK registration. However, I have no experience of UK nurses coming here newly qualified on grad programmes, although more and more do it now. Probably a good thing to come newly qualified as it may be easier to adjust. Maybe whoever you apply to can advise on this. If you need contact details for the person who co-ordinates the progammes at the sunshine coast I can PM them.
Thank you AGAIN!

I have been in touch with the Sunshine Coast and have been emailing Julie Hill The Training Coordinator, she has emailed me a couple of times with information, taking the time to email me has been so kind of her. I would just love to know that I could be guaranteed a place on the post grad course, I guess its too early just yet? I will hang on until December! Should you have any other names you think I should need then yes please PM them to me. I have not PM'd before!! Do I have to do anything my end?

Thanks again for all your help! I did read on the QNC Website that nurses in Brisbane can apply prior to receiving their qualification evidence and once they receive it they can finalise everything, it just speeds up some of the paperwork I guess. I just wasn't sure if I could do that from here. I have emailed them direct, but I will prob never find out as they are soooo busy!

As you can prob tell, I am KEEN!