British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   Roll call... who's where now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/roll-call-whos-where-now-426266/)

annqldau Feb 13th 2007 5:07 pm

Roll call... who's where now?

Started off in Deception Bay QLD and now we have bought a house in North Brisbane in the Pine Rivers area. Been here for 15 mths now, so not long to go to apply for citizenship.

Work about 12K away in local District Hospital/Community for Queensland Health.

Haven't regretted the move all going well down under.

How about everyone else?

hedgehog-girl Feb 13th 2007 6:51 pm

Re: Roll call... who's where now?

On the Northern Beaches for just over 2 years now. On PR and just bought a house. Making our way to Citizenship and babies! Started off on a 457.

annqldau Feb 13th 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl (Post 4398785)
On the Northern Beaches for just over 2 years now. On PR and just bought a house. Making our way to Citizenship and babies! Started off on a 457.

Think I'll give the babies bit a miss and stick with the one i've got.

We came out on a PR visa, did have a brief fantasy about doing something else like hypnotherapy as a career however, I just do that as a hobby still and ended up back in Nursing. I still enjoy nursing so that is not a major disaster.

paulb Feb 13th 2007 9:27 pm

We started off in Grafton NSW however quickly decided it wasnt for us. As an interim measure we went to Brisbane, which was nice (because we met Annqld, amongst others), but we reasearched other areas and found we liked the Mornington peninsula in Melbourne.

Im a CPN, but now have a post as Team manager for a CMHT.

Hope to start building our own house soon, kids are in school / kinder, and life is pretty good at the moment. Takes a while though:)

annqldau Feb 14th 2007 7:50 am

Originally Posted by paulb (Post 4399563)
We started off in Grafton NSW however quickly decided it wasn’t for us. As an interim measure we went to Brisbane, which was nice (because we met Annqld, amongst others), but we researched other areas and found we liked the Mornington peninsula in Melbourne.
I’m a CPN, but now have a post as Team manager for a CMHT.
Hope to start building our own house soon, kids are in school / kinder, and life is pretty good at the moment. Takes a while though:)

Quickly is an understatement....:rofl: …Claire’s having a BBQ soon if you want to pop back to Brisbane. We need to be kept updated on the house build.

Out of pure curiosity is there much difference between being CPN in Melbourne and Brisbane?

Mrs JFW Feb 14th 2007 8:54 am

I'm still in Manchester! :frown:

But hopefully not for too long.....heading out to Brisbane! :thumbup:

annqldau Feb 14th 2007 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW (Post 4402933)
I'm still in Manchester! :frown:

But hopefully not for too long.....heading out to Brisbane! :thumbup:

Sensible girl, good choice, don't be swayed by Paul he's spent too long with his patients...:D .

Mrs JFW Feb 14th 2007 9:38 am

Well as long as he stays in Melbourne we should be ok then Ann! :lol:

paulb Feb 14th 2007 9:45 am

Oi...Im watching!!:D

No Ann, not too much different really, just local policy I suppose. Plus we have falcons and commadores to use at work here not lancers!!

annqldau Feb 14th 2007 10:40 am

Originally Posted by paulb (Post 4403101)
Oi...Im watching!!:D

No Ann, not too much different really, just local policy I suppose. Plus we have falcons and commadores to use at work here not lancers!!

I like my Lancer plus it has speed control, don't suppose I'll get to keep it in my new job...:frown: . Didn't know if Melbourne mental health would be all singing all dancing after Brisbane.

annqldau Feb 14th 2007 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW (Post 4403077)
Well as long as he stays in Melbourne we should be ok then Ann! :lol:

We'll allow him back as he was no bother. He can wait until he's made loads of profit on his Melbourne house and then he can buy a des res here.

Stitch Feb 17th 2007 7:25 am

Came to Bayside are in June 06 and still here. Kids in school. Son getting on ok but daughter struggling. I came over to a job lecturing in Nursing and Midwifery and still doing that (pay is absolutely crap!!!!). Hubby was dialysis in UK but has had to look after kiddies. Getting back in the job front. Been offered some jobs but not flexible enough for the now. Still looking.

Cheers

Ginny

electricbaby27 Feb 17th 2007 9:06 am

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 4398298)
Started off in Deception Bay QLD and now we have bought a house in North Brisbane in the Pine Rivers area. Been here for 15 mths now, so not long to go to apply for citizenship.

Work about 12K away in local District Hospital/Community for Queensland Health.

Haven't regretted the move all going well down under.

How about everyone else?

We have been here about 7 weeks. Live in Toronto NSW and work i n Wyong as a community midwife. Settling in ok seems to be lots of red tape and more weekend working than the UK! working the next 3 w/e and roster not done after that!:eek: I only worked 1 i n 4 in the UK!

Caz

sme Feb 17th 2007 1:06 pm

Living in Perth, just started work at a Mother and Baby Unit (MH one) - all's well so far. :)
Gillian

annqldau Feb 17th 2007 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by electricbaby27 (Post 4415329)
We have been here about 7 weeks. Live in Toronto NSW and work i n Wyong as a community midwife. Settling in ok seems to be lots of red tape and more weekend working than the UK! working the next 3 w/e and roster not done after that!:eek: I only worked 1 i n 4 in the UK!

Caz

I found the same, had to do more weekend work than my UK job but wore them down eventually to 1 in 4 as the unit got more staff to enable some family time.