RGN/MW try before i buy

Old Sep 7th 2015, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

piglet74 is on a distinguished road
Default RGN/MW try before i buy

Hi
My family (Hubby and two boys 15 & 17) have been planning to move to Australia for the past 10 years but have had to wait for his work with MOD to come to an end which will be in 2018. I have an BSc in adult nursing since 2008 and and got a BSc(Hons) in Midwifery in 2010, I currently work as a practice nurse and got a mixture of surgical nursing, NICU and delivery suite midwife.
Neither of us have ever been to Aus but we have spent the past 18 years moving every 2 years both within the UK and abroad so would consider us fairly easy going and happy with change.
Now we are currently posted to Cyprus and due to move back next summer and ive been toying with the idea of then trying to go over on a temporary visa and try to get a temporary contract somewhere for 3-4 months to see what I make of it before we apply for permanent residency visa...
is that a feasible possibility at all? if so would it be useful or would we be better of saving the money and just go all together 2 years later?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RGN/MW try before i buy

Originally Posted by piglet74
Hi
My family (Hubby and two boys 15 & 17) have been planning to move to Australia for the past 10 years but have had to wait for his work with MOD to come to an end which will be in 2018. I have an BSc in adult nursing since 2008 and and got a BSc(Hons) in Midwifery in 2010, I currently work as a practice nurse and got a mixture of surgical nursing, NICU and delivery suite midwife.
Neither of us have ever been to Aus but we have spent the past 18 years moving every 2 years both within the UK and abroad so would consider us fairly easy going and happy with change.
Now we are currently posted to Cyprus and due to move back next summer and ive been toying with the idea of then trying to go over on a temporary visa and try to get a temporary contract somewhere for 3-4 months to see what I make of it before we apply for permanent residency visa...
is that a feasible possibility at all? if so would it be useful or would we be better of saving the money and just go all together 2 years later?
Hi,

The only visa that would really let you come over and work temporarily is a 457 - they last up to 4 years, but you need to get an employer to sponsor you first. Not impossible as a nurse, but they woud almost certainly want you to commit to a contract for longer than 3-4 months (of course you could always resign after a few months, but......)
You'd need to register with AHPRA in order to work here and if you read the threads on that august body you will find that can take many many months.
You'd also need to think about the kids - they would need to be dependent on you at the time of grant to get a PR visa, so if you did a 457 first you might run out of time.

Have a read of Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection for details of 457 and 189 - which is the skills independent Permanent visa and www.ahpra.gov.au and see how it shapes up

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 8th 2015 at 10:48 am.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:42 am
Just Joined

piglet74 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Pollyana

I did think that the 457 would be the only one available, I was thinking that maybe I could get a short term sponsor for any hard to place areas. Now when I think about it it seem rather wasteful to pay for the 457 only to fork out for the 190 at the end of the year. Maybe I should just scrap them plans and hold my horses and apply next year for the permanent visa instead
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pollyana;11743128]Hi,

.. You'd need to register with AHPRA in order to work here and if you read the threads on that august body ...

Ooooooh Pollyana here was I thinking you gave up trying to second guess them!