"Relocation Packages" Queensland Health

Old May 8th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road
Default "Relocation Packages" Queensland Health

My wife has an interview with Queensland Health in June. I've heard they sometimes offer relocation assistance.

Does anyone know what is on offer? Is it a standard package or is it negotiable?

My wife's very nervous about the interview as she's worked a lot of part time in the last few years while the children are young and she's lost some of her confidence. We're dependent on her gaining a visa as I don't get enough points - being only a teacher.

I'd love her to go in knowing something about the playing field ahead of time.

Has anyone had any experience with Queensland Health interviews? Any tips gratefully received!
Old May 8th 2007, 8:56 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Relocation Packages" Queensland Health

Originally Posted by chequer
My wife has an interview with Queensland Health in June. I've heard they sometimes offer relocation assistance.

Does anyone know what is on offer? Is it a standard package or is it negotiable?

My wife's very nervous about the interview as she's worked a lot of part time in the last few years while the children are young and she's lost some of her confidence. We're dependent on her gaining a visa as I don't get enough points - being only a teacher.

Has anyone had any experience with Queensland Health interviews? Any tips gratefully received!
The interviews are quite straightforward and usually involve 'scenario' type questions like "your patient has sudden onset of chest pain....what do you do and why?"....that sort of thing, there was only 3 or 4 questions.
The standard relocation package is $3000 but you don't get it all in one go you get $1000 at 6, 12 and 18 months and you have to have receipts for everything. You might also get the first couple of weeks accommodation paid for.
Not sure how negotiable these things are....I'm newly qualified so don't really have any bargaining power, someone with experience may be able to get a better 'deal'
Good luck!
Old May 8th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chequer

Hi to you both,

Just to reassure you, the interviews are a lot more relaxed than they are over here. There is a thread I think you should read "interview in manchester" When they were interviewing in March there were a few of us nervous but going for it and we all got offers. The interviews are for level one nurses so it's basic stuff and the interviewers are really really nice.

The standard relocation package is 3k as already stated but is negotiable depending on where you go. The more remote you go, the more you get. This is discussed with the hospital however, not at interview.

So when is the interview? Do you know where you'd like to go? What does your wife do?

Don't be shy about posting any questions you have. We're all in the same boat and there's always someone who can help.

Good luck to the Mrs!!

Sarah.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Hi
I am sure your wife will be fine everyone gets nervous even old hands like me who has been qualified for ever, but i know what you mean you both are keen to get the job offer etc to get the visa,the interviews are very relaxed and remember they need nurses otherwise they would not be interviewing over here and the fact they have offered the missus an interview means they must like her CV etc already.

good luck and let us all know how she gets on
Old May 9th 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ireland
Hi
I am sure your wife will be fine everyone gets nervous even old hands like me who has been qualified for ever, but i know what you mean you both are keen to get the job offer etc to get the visa,the interviews are very relaxed and remember they need nurses otherwise they would not be interviewing over here and the fact they have offered the missus an interview means they must like her CV etc already.

good luck and let us all know how she gets on
Thanks for that. I'll get her to read this comment when she wakes up - she did a night shift last night!

Do they help with visa applications or is that still up to us completely? I've noticed people talking about the 457 and PR. We had originally thought to apply for PR but if they're going to help us with the visa application then we'll take whatever we can in the first instance. I know you can apply for PR after getting in on 457 but are there additional shortcomings of the 457 that I haven't heard about yet?
Old May 9th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Hi

I asked for the RSMS visa which is a PR visa directly to the hospital which I got, played on my experience etc,other people got the 457 temp visa offer but i think they will get help to apply foe PR when they have done 6 months or so, im sure one of the nurses who got this visa will give you the details regarding this, how long has the wife been nursing and is she in a specality? where about in Oz are you both hoping to settle? if you post these kind of things there maybe nurses from that area who can help even more

If the missus wants she can email or send me a pm and if i can assist I will try my best to do so.
Old May 9th 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help.

She's about 8 years post registration. She's worked mainly in Acute Surgery but has done Day Surgery and also Community. Currently she's in her 5th month in ICU. I think she'd like to stay in ICU if possible.

We've acquaintances and family friends on the Gold Coast and in Toowoomba so we'd originally planned to head that way. The Sunshine coast looks good too. We've really no preferences. How can you know about a place until you've lived there? We thought we would just 'go with the flow' with whatever job she can get until she has the option to move and then make more permanent plans about where we would like to 'settle' when we know more about it.

I've already checked out the teaching situation and it looks like I'll be a house-husband or at least part time until our youngest starts school. We've got to make sure that Sarah is happy with the job she gets or we'll not survive.

Does anyone know when children start school in Australia? Is it the year they turn 5 or the academic year when they are 5? He's an October birthday so in England he would start in September 2008. If the australian school year is Jan-Dec will he start in Jan 2009?
Old May 9th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I was interviewed and offered job with QH in march.
Initially I have been offered 457 but director of nursing will sponsor me for PR after 3-6 months.
There is a big down side to 457 but as I am over 45 have little choice at present.

1. no child benefit payable to family
2. no medicare but most will offer private to cover for this
3. both will pay MUCH higher tax rate on 457 have a look on OZ tax website
4. in some states you have to pay for state education if on 457 but queensland is not one thankfully.
5. you can only buy a new build house

also more info on immigration website. If you can I would apply yourself for skilled independent 136 you are then in a much stronger position to start your new life.
have a look at queensland education good site and can access lots of info about schools. The school year starts january so your little one would go new term end jan.

I have been offered $5000 dollars relocation by Brisbane childrens hosp but have not said yet how it is paid.

your wifes pay is based on her length of service even if she has been qualified 8 years but worked some part-time her years service will be reduced accordingly ie if she has worked for the 8 years at half time she will be only credited with 4 years if you see what I mean.

your wife is in quite a good position as they are desperate for ICU nurses all over OZ. Have you had a look at the jobs on the QH website they change every tuesday but they are not the only ones that they have.

tell her not to worry they where really nice and I think they have decided they want you before interview but need to satisfy themselves that you are a safe practitioner.

good luck
Old May 9th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Loiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant future

Ive got an interview with them in June also. Their bumf says they will pay for flights for yourself and family. That must be over $3000 surely?
Old May 9th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned earlier I think the package depends on who finally employes you.

But dont believe everything that you read or are told becaue they have a habit of moving the goalposts. I also tried to challenge them over info they supplied and was promised but so far it has fell of deaf ears. They give you a little red book at interview which also says about flights for family and medicare and permanent sponsorship. Make sure you pin them down at interview and get as much in writing as possible. And remember to ask about probationary period as mine has changed 3 times from 12months then to 3 then e-mail today 6!!!!!!! Rember also that if on 457 or even ENS with PR they can give you your notice and you have 28 days to leave the country and yes it does happen.
My step son is in perth and ok a different profession completely but his sponsor decided to give up his business laid everyone off so he was out of a job a horrendous 2 weeks later he managed to find another one but had to move house schools etc it nearly finished their marriage off.

So make sure everything is out in the open at the beginning.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:14 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Do relocation packages only apply if you are sponsored?
I am getting PR then applying for jobs so would I be eligible for relocation expenses?
I assume that if you do get relocation expenses you are tied into that job for a set period of time - Is that the case?
Old May 9th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am sure there is a tie in period but that has not been mentioned as I have been promised ENS you have to work for that employer for 2 years anyway.

Even though you are going on PR independantly there is no harm in asking about financial assitance package, nothing ventured nothing gained. Just remember they are desperate for nurses so as long as you not asking for the world there should be some common ground.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Hi
3. both will pay MUCH higher tax rate on 457 have a look on OZ tax website
5. you can only buy a new build house

good luck
Think you'll be pleasantly suprised, I think you must be misreading the tax site, being on a 457 doesn't make any difference to the tax you pay, the only difference is you may be eligible for the LAFHA allowance, but to be able to get this you must be able to show significant intention of returning to the UK (like still owning a house in the uk, bank a/cs etc)

Providing its your primary residence the FIRB may accept the purchase of "used housing stock"
Old May 9th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sounds interesting but what is LAFHA ? and will read the residency rules again on tax website. Ta
Old May 9th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tillysmum
sounds interesting but what is LAFHA ? and will read the residency rules again on tax website. Ta
"Living Away From Home Allowance".... This would need to be negotiated with your employer as it is paid direct to you from them, I believe it is like a tax rebate, but I haven't looked into it too deeply as it would not be usefull to us, as we will have no UK ties left, and have been promised sponsorship for an RSMS visa ( which is PR status) after 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.