British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   Refusal of Registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/refusal-registration-842912/)

YvetteCamille Sep 11th 2014 9:31 am

Refusal of Registration

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you all updated, I have now officially received my letter today refusing my registration with AHPRA.
The reason (of course) is that my nursing diploma is AQF equivalent to level 6, I have been referred for a bridging programme which I will not be undertaking.
The bridging course (just in case anyone didn't know) cost between $10,000 & $15,000 Australian Dollars, it MUST be completed within 12 months of today and can only be completed in Oz! If I had a spare $15K I'm sure I would not be spending it on a useless course which will teach me nothing I don't already know and cost more than my UK nursing quals by 100%!

Unfortunately this whole process has been a complete waste of time, monies and effort, I only wish that I'd have known about this before applying.

I would like to thank all those who have been helpful on this forum during the process and I hope that you all have the outcome you desire in the future.

Take care all and good luck with everything!

Yvette x

Jilliebee Sep 11th 2014 11:14 am

Re: Refusal of Registration

I am so sorry to hear your news Yvette. This 'new' system is an absolute joke. I just hope it can be sorted soon because it can't be allowed to stay like this.

Good luck in whatever you plan to do now - and hopefully we'll hear that you're on your way over once AHPRA gets their s**t together xx :fingerscrossed:

YvetteCamille Sep 11th 2014 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Jilliebee (Post 11400907)
I am so sorry to hear your news Yvette. This 'new' system is an absolute joke. I just hope it can be sorted soon because it can't be allowed to stay like this.

Good luck in whatever you plan to do now - and hopefully we'll hear that you're on your way over once AHPRA gets their s**t together xx :fingerscrossed:

Hi Gillian,

Thank you! The whole thing has caused me no end of stress, I just wish that the information that AHPRA have now released on their website was there in January this year when I started the process. I don't mind not being able to go, i really don't but I really don't like having my time wasted!

Anyhoo, on-wards and upwards, I'm taking a break from nursing to peruse my dreams of travel and who knows, I may even see Oz on a holiday!

Thanks Again,

Yvette x

Pollyana Sep 11th 2014 11:25 am

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille (Post 11400912)
Hi Gillian,

Thank you! The whole thing has caused me no end of stress, I just wish that the information that AHPRA have now released on their website was there in January this year when I started the process. I don't mind not being able to go, i really don't but I really don't like having my time wasted!

Anyhoo, on-wards and upwards, I'm taking a break from nursing to peruse my dreams of travel and who knows, I may even see Oz on a holiday!

Thanks Again,

Yvette x

It really is a disgrace on the part of AHPRA, they've been so unclear about things, changed the rules as they've gone along, and even then not really kept applicants in the picture.
To discount the diploma trained nurses is just crazy, I really sturggle to see the logic in their thinking.

I can only wish you - and others in the same boat - all the best elsewhere, another country's gain is Australia's loss :)

YvetteCamille Sep 11th 2014 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11400915)
It really is a disgrace on the part of AHPRA, they've been so unclear about things, changed the rules as they've gone along, and even then not really kept applicants in the picture.
To discount the diploma trained nurses is just crazy, I really sturggle to see the logic in their thinking.

I can only wish you - and others in the same boat - all the best elsewhere, another country's gain is Australia's loss :)

Thanks Pollyana,

It's madness isn't it, especially when you think the only difference between the diploma and the degree is a dissertation! Like that makes you more suitably qualified? Anyway no point in moaning as it won't get me anywhere.

I do hope that for others they can get it resolved. I know for those who traveled out on a PR Visa after having a positive AMNAC assessment before Feb this year are being allowed to get registered and practice but that doesn't help those (like me) who were planning on a 457 visa so did not require an ANMAC assessment!

Its a shame as i know the UK have some fabulous specially trained nurses in fields such as Psych and Learning Dis which Oz will be missing out on, who knows maybe common sense will prevail in the end! :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: x

Pollyana Sep 12th 2014 7:50 am

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille (Post 11400942)
Thanks Pollyana,

It's madness isn't it, especially when you think the only difference between the diploma and the degree is a dissertation! Like that makes you more suitably qualified? Anyway no point in moaning as it won't get me anywhere.

I do hope that for others they can get it resolved. I know for those who traveled out on a PR Visa after having a positive AMNAC assessment before Feb this year are being allowed to get registered and practice but that doesn't help those (like me) who were planning on a 457 visa so did not require an ANMAC assessment!

Its a shame as i know the UK have some fabulous specially trained nurses in fields such as Psych and Learning Dis which Oz will be missing out on, who knows maybe common sense will prevail in the end! :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: x

I have several friends here who over the years have arrived on 457s or other temp visas and thus avoided the ANMAC issue, and I think they are all diploma nurses. The loss to Australian nursing by closing the diploma route is just insane.
Bring back common sense.

wilson01 Sep 12th 2014 10:30 am

It's madness isn't it, especially when you think the only difference between the diploma and the degree is a dissertation! Like that makes you more suitably qualified?
They don't write a dissertation! They don't even do a research module whereby they examine papers stating whether it is quantitative study design or qualitative, whether it is phenomenology or Random Control! We had to study these in the UK so as to critique evidence based practice. Their degree is a Bachelors degree and they have to do another year (if good enough) to get honors. They spend approx 24 - 28 weeks on clinical placement (800 hours) throughout their 3 years training and they don't have block periods going to university Practical Experience / Bachelor of Nursing / Degrees / The University of Newcastle, Australia The Oz nurse training in nowhere near the standard of the UK's NMC requirements. Also, they are not mentored the same as UK. Clinical Nurse Educators, whom they may have met once, sign off their documentation. There is no requirement for them to spend 40% of their placement time with Mentors.
Because they call it a degree programme, does not mean it is in any way equivalent to a UK degree or for that matter, a UK Nursing Diploma.

Dorothy Sep 12th 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by wilson01 (Post 11402191)
It's madness isn't it, especially when you think the only difference between the diploma and the degree is a dissertation! Like that makes you more suitably qualified?
They don't write a dissertation! They don't even do a research module whereby they examine papers stating whether it is quantitative study design or qualitative, whether it is phenomenology or Random Control! We had to study these in the UK so as to critique evidence based practice. Their degree is a Bachelors degree and they have to do another year (if good enough) to get honors. They spend approx 24 - 28 weeks on clinical placement (800 hours) throughout their 3 years training and they don't have block periods going to university Practical Experience / Bachelor of Nursing / Degrees / The University of Newcastle, Australia The Oz nurse training in nowhere near the standard of the UK's NMC requirements. Also, they are not mentored the same as UK. Clinical Nurse Educators, whom they may have met once, sign off their documentation. There is no requirement for them to spend 40% of their placement time with Mentors.
Because they call it a degree programme, does not mean it is in any way equivalent to a UK degree or for that matter, a UK Nursing Diploma.

Well, that might be the case at Newcastle University, but it is not the case at UniSA where I am currently studying. 50% of my third year is research based and I spent about 90% of my placement time with my mentor; the rest with the other nurses. I'm going on another placement in November where I will spend 100% of the first week with my mentor (it's one I've organised to a remote community) and the other 3 weeks I will be working in the hospital I currently work at, so I would assume I will spend a fair bit of time with the mentor if seeing other students is anything to go by.

wilson01 Sep 12th 2014 10:57 am

It isn't just about Mentors! 2400 clinical hours in the UK to get on the register v 800 clinical hours (or there about). Don't believe I have ever met a UK trained Nurse who had a 4 week placement! I have mentored students for the time they are allocated with us here in Australia and just as they are starting to settle in, they move on! Not their fault I know but they ALL acknowledge their placements should be longer in duration.

Dorothy Sep 12th 2014 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by wilson01 (Post 11402215)
It isn't just about Mentors! 2400 clinical hours in the UK to get on the register v 800 clinical hours (or there about). Don't believe I have ever met a UK trained Nurse who had a 4 week placement! I have mentored students for the time they are allocated with us here in Australia and just as they are starting to settle in, they move on! Not their fault I know but they ALL acknowledge their placements should be longer in duration.

4 weeks was one unit. I've got another 4 weeks coming in November/December then 16 weeks in 3rd year. I should have done another 8 week placement in 1st year but was exempt because of RPL,

AbesUK Sep 12th 2014 3:37 pm

So sorry to hear your news Yvette,
Have you considered New Zealand, if so, run quick before they also change their requirements.

genorm Sep 12th 2014 3:55 pm

Hey Yvette, that's really crap - and I think AHPRA need to reconsider this whole messed up situation. I've even heard of 2 nurses who went through the same course at the same time, achieved the same results and have the same post grad qualifications and basically the same work experience. Guess what? One go t registered, the other was refused. It's a very poor situation, and I know protests will be made at the next Nursing Recruitment Drives in the UK later this year.

As I've said previously, if you fancy a change of scenery in the UK, I have several great vacancies, and I'm sure they will be pleased to employ you as I know you would do a fantastic job.

Stay sane, safe, and don't let the bastard's drive you down :;-)

Pollyana Sep 13th 2014 1:38 am

Originally Posted by genorm (Post 11402586)
Hey Yvette, that's really crap - and I think AHPRA need to reconsider this whole messed up situation. I've even heard of 2 nurses who went through the same course at the same time, achieved the same results and have the same post grad qualifications and basically the same work experience. Guess what? One go t registered, the other was refused. It's a very poor situation, and I know protests will be made at the next Nursing Recruitment Drives in the UK later this year.

As I've said previously, if you fancy a change of scenery in the UK, I have several great vacancies, and I'm sure they will be pleased to employ you as I know you would do a fantastic job.

Stay sane, safe, and don't let the bastard's drive you down :;-)

Totally crap and insane.

Thanks for your ongoing reporting on this issue, hopefully one day you can bring good news to those out there waiting.....