British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   reference letter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/reference-letter-506712/)

suziegaz Jan 16th 2008 3:04 pm

reference letter

hi and a happy new year to you all.

we dont tend to type much at the moment as we are still trying to read all the threads that are relevant to us!!!! and there is so much to read!!!!

we realise the value of every bodys experiences and are wondering if any body could provide any help with our problem

we have been pondering on moving to oz for many years now and finally made the decision and collected all of the info that we need to start the process.

all info is copied and ready to go to the courts for verification so that we can finally send off for ANMC verification, unfortunately we are missin an important piece of info.

i formally requested a reference from my boss 3 months ago and still have not received it( she was promoted and has been very busy, which i understood), i left it a month and then asked her verbally, to which she promised to provide my reference, another month on and i have asked several time and still she has not provide my reference

we are desperate to start the process, has any one any sugestions? does anyone know of any standard letters that i can get hold of and just ask her to sign?

thanks for taking the time to read this post and any suggestion will be most welcome

cheshiremark Jan 16th 2008 7:57 pm

Re: reference letter

Originally Posted by suziegaz (Post 5797041)

we dont tend to type much at the moment as we are still trying to read all the threads that are relevant to us!!!! and there is so much to read!!!!

we realise the value of every bodys experiences and are wondering if any body could provide any help with our problem

we have been pondering on moving to oz for many years now and finally made the decision and collected all of the info that we need to start the process.

all info is copied and ready to go to the courts for verification so that we can finally send off for ANMC verification, unfortunately we are missin an important piece of info.

i formally requested a reference from my boss 3 months ago and still have not received it( she was promoted and has been very busy, which i understood), i left it a month and then asked her verbally, to which she promised to provide my reference, another month on and i have asked several time and still she has not provide my reference

we are desperate to start the process, has any one any sugestions? does anyone know of any standard letters that i can get hold of and just ask her to sign?

thanks for taking the time to read this post and any suggestion will be most welcome

Hi Suziegaz,
I've just read your post and it reminded me of one I read on BE ages ago. I remembered that somebody had put the layout of their's somewhere on BE. I wasn't sure if I could find it but after a bit of searching I found this for you :thumbsup:

Have a look at this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ference+format

On here you'll find a post by someone who goes by the screen name 'nikkers' and she has used the following format:

Dear Sir/madam

This letter is to confirm that the above named has undertaken practice in this NHS Trust as an Oncology Nurse from 5th January 1998 to date.

I also confirm that

1 She is competent to practise as a nurse
2 Her state of health is such she can perform nursing duties
without endangering any patient
3 She holds a current licence to practice as a nurse

Should you require any further information please let me know

Yours faithfully

Name
Title

Contact Details

I thought it was a rather good one, I hope it's suitable for you.

Mark :)

cheshiremark Jan 17th 2008 4:16 pm

Further to my last post, I think you might find the following thread an interesting read.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306418

Mark :)

Huggkat Jan 17th 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by suziegaz (Post 5797041)

Hi Suziegaz,

If its any consolation, I too asked for my reference back in October and still nothing yet! I was promised a "draft" to look at last week, then my Manager went on holiday without leaving it for me!

I'm beginning to think it has to do with the fact that we are so short staffed (who isn't) and they are trying to string it out so that I don't leave too soon!

Never mind, what they don't realise is that we're applying through my OH so I really don't need this part completed just yet - just want to gather the paperwork early so I know I've got it all.

Anyway, keep your chin up and keep pestering - they'll soon get fed up and give in.

vlooi Jan 18th 2008 1:25 am

Tell her you know she is busy and whether you may assist her by typing it yourself with her input and just get her to sign it. Then show her the standard letter and ask her whether she wants to add anything; type it then yourself on hospital letterhead paper etc and get her to just sign it. We have a lovely ward clerk who assisted me with the typing as I also have a very "busy" and scatterbrained manager....;)

suziegaz Jan 18th 2008 8:23 am

hi
thanks for the great replys, i saw my boss yesterday and she said she has done the reference and would drop it off before the end of my shift......low and be hold didnt see her for the rest of the shift.

so i am gonna print off the above one ( thanks for the search, i couldn't find it ) and take it to work this afternoon and hope fully i will have my final piece of info so i can send of for verification of skills to ANMC.

thanks to you all for your help
suzie and gaz
xx

Sara W Jan 20th 2008 7:53 pm

The reference you're talking about (if I remember correctly) is stating the hours you are contracted, how long you have been working as a nurse, your typical daily duties, etc. I wrote mine myself and emailed it to my boss ( I invited her to change it if she wished) I wrote it myself because it's not a reference, it's a factual statement, it's objective. My boss (who's a really good, supportive boss) thanked me for saving her the effort of writing it.

hope that's helpful,
Sara :)

suziegaz Jan 21st 2008 12:12 pm

hi all
just thought i would let you all know that i finally have my reference in my hand, hooray at last, booked a appointment at magistrates court on wed for verification of documents and hopin to courier of all info to ANMC on fri, just got find out who is best/cheapest courier and how to pay, i dont have credit card
thanks to all of the above help
suzie
xx