Prospective UK nurse wanting to move to the USA

Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

HgHj121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospective UK nurse wanting to move to the USA

Hello,

I am a British citizen and recently graduated with a psychology degree, and am hoping to study an accelerated nursing degree and become a nurse in two years. Along with being a nurse, it is ultimately my dream to move to and work in the United States, and I believed being a nurse was a relatively straightforward way of achieving this due to the shortage of nurses and it being listed as a "schedule A" occupation. However, I have learnt from previous posts on this forum that British nursing degrees don't meet the necessary requirements for the NCLEX exam (and I imagine this may be even more so with accelerated degrees?). Can anyone give me some advice on if this will even be a possibility for me to achieve, and if so, what other steps I may need to take? Thank you
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Juls02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prospective UK nurse wanting to move to the USA

Originally Posted by HgHj121
Hello,

I am a British citizen and recently graduated with a psychology degree, and am hoping to study an accelerated nursing degree and become a nurse in two years. Along with being a nurse, it is ultimately my dream to move to and work in the United States, and I believed being a nurse was a relatively straightforward way of achieving this due to the shortage of nurses and it being listed as a "schedule A" occupation. However, I have learnt from previous posts on this forum that British nursing degrees don't meet the necessary requirements for the NCLEX exam (and I imagine this may be even more so with accelerated degrees?). Can anyone give me some advice on if this will even be a possibility for me to achieve, and if so, what other steps I may need to take? Thank you
Hi. I came across this information by chance on you tube during my research into nursing in the USA. Yes apparently UK nurse training degrees don't meet the requirements for USA but according to this you tuber its possible to actually do the hours whilst you are training if you haven't completed your degree yet. But this is only before you complete the degree. It might be worth looking into that. That's what they did because they knew they wanted to work in the USA before they completed their training. If you have done the training already then unfortunately you can't make up the hours in the UK and you need some kind of bridging programme but you can only do that in the states and it can be really expensive. Do your research around this.
Old Jun 30th 2023, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

ICUnursey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prospective UK nurse wanting to move to the USA

Hi, the training in the UK is too specialized, US nurses do a generalized course. If you haven’t started why don’t you just do your nursing degree in the USA? That would solve your current and future problems. No need to get transcripts evaluated, no need to deal with CGFNS.