Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

Past syphilis infection. Already non-reactive VDRL But TPHA positive

Past syphilis infection. Already non-reactive VDRL But TPHA positive

Old Feb 1st 2016, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Sean1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Past syphilis infection. Already non-reactive VDRL But TPHA positive

Hi guys,

This is driving me nuts! I got an offer to work in UK. Im from the philippines but i had past syphilis infection 3years back but was already cured. VDRL NONREACTIVE but TPHA will remain positive. Do i still have the chance to work in UK? Do they still allow workers with tpha postive? Any response would be appreciated!!

Sean
Old Feb 1st 2016, 2:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Past syphilis infection. Already non-reactive VDRL But TPHA positive

Originally Posted by Sean1990
Hi guys,

This is driving me nuts! I got an offer to work in UK. Im from the philippines but i had past syphilis infection 3years back but was already cured. VDRL NONREACTIVE but TPHA will remain positive. Do i still have the chance to work in UK? Do they still allow workers with tpha postive? Any response would be appreciated!!

Sean
Have you asked your potential employer? Is the position in healthcare?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Past syphilis infection. Already non-reactive VDRL But TPHA positive

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you asked your potential employer? Is the position in healthcare?

I havent asked though.im hesitant to ask. yes position in healthcare.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I havent asked though.im hesitant to ask. yes position in healthcare.
Maybe something you could run past a Uk agency, anonymously? Or ask the nursing registration board - NMC? I honestly don't know the answer, just hoping that someone will come along who does know!

just had it confirmed by someone in the know, actually -you need to contact the NMC and they will let you know where you stand

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2016 at 7:38 am.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe something you could run past a Uk agency, anonymously? Or ask the nursing registration board - NMC? I honestly don't know the answer, just hoping that someone will come along who does know!

just had it confirmed by someone in the know, actually -you need to contact the NMC and they will let you know where you stand
yah i hope someone would confirm right here. Thanks a lot
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

yah i hope someone would confirm right here. Thanks a lot
No one will confirm it definitely online -if they do, you should still contact an official body before believing a well-meaning stranger on the internet!
I have posed the question to a nurse registered for many years in two countries, including the Uk, and he has confirmed that if you wish to work in the UK and don't want to just apply and risk being turned down, then you should contact the registration body -the NMC. You will almost certainly have to declare the details when you do your medical anyway, so you are not placing yourself at a disadvantage asking first.

You could always create a new email account and ask via that, in which case you would at least get a generic answer.