In Oz on 457, nursing degree?

Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

KirstyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In Oz on 457, nursing degree?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice please! I have been frantically googling this and now have more questions than answers!

I am a UK citizen and moved to Australia with my husband and kids in October, he has been transferred here by his employer and we are all on temporary 457 visas, we'll be using the next few years to decide if want to apply for PR or return home.

Before we moved I had applied to UK universities to study nursing, since we could be here for 5 years + I am considering studying nursing at university here rather than wait until we possibly go home, but I would most definitely want the option to practice in the UK if we go back.

The thing that's worrying me is the NMC's requirement for 2300 hours of clinical practice during the degree. The University of Sydney's prospectus says you get 900 hours during the 3 year course. Would I then need to do a 1 year course after graduation to top up my hours? Do I need 12 months of experience after I have completed 4 years of study to be considered for registration by the NMC?

Also, I'd be paying international fees, so 4 years of study and no work could be pretty crippling financially!

Any advice would be a huge help.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of
Default Re: In Oz on 457, nursing degree?

Hi,

I have just finished my second year of the 3 year degree and although it does state full time you will find it easy enough to juggle a couple days work plus family and what have you throughout your studies, most of us do plus we get a 3 month break over christmas that helps to top up the funds.

Not sure about the NMC hours thing, We do 22 weeks of prac over the 3 years. Ideally an extra year as a post grad (Full paid work experience) is what we all want on completion to ease us in to the job but there is not enough of these positions to go around each year. Although this extra year is not mandatory towards your qualification, without it you will not be able to work in a lot of hospitals.
Many newly graduated nurses end up working in aged care, private sector, relocate or do agency work for a year or two.

International fees are going to sting,
I may be wrong but i think its 3 times what we pay so your looking at around $9,000 a term paid up front

hope this bit of info helps make things seem a little less challenging...still a tough decision especially if you dont end up staying in Australia. You may as well just work and enjoy your 4-5 years down under then do the nursing back home, but if you do want to stay then its a great career to have
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:35 am
Just Joined

KirstyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks miller man! That is really helpful. It's a tough decision because I don't know if we're staying here permanently, or if not, for how long! I'm not sure whether to just look for a job in my old line of work (IT) until things become clearer, or to get some hospital voluntary work to help with uni applications. There are worse problems to have though!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

$12,000 a year for nursing as an international student in QLD. $6,000 for a Commonwealth sponsored place but I think you have to have PR to be eligible for this. You definitely need PR to hex your fees