British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   nursing royal perth hospital/freemantle/charlies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nursing-royal-perth-hospital-freemantle-charlies-505663/)

rachel118 Jan 12th 2008 2:43 pm

nursing royal perth hospital/freemantle/charlies

hello, i am trying to decide which hospital to try for ajob (have interview at royal perth hosp next week). can anyone tell me what the rph is like to work for? would sir charles gairdner be better? what about fremantle hospital?
have heard not to work at rph but not sure why not.
help please
rachel:confused:

breezeboylan Jan 12th 2008 6:16 pm

Re: nursing royal perth hospital/freemantle/charlies

Originally Posted by rachel118 (Post 5777940)
hello, i am trying to decide which hospital to try for ajob (have interview at royal perth hosp next week). can anyone tell me what the rph is like to work for? would sir charles gairdner be better? what about fremantle hospital?
have heard not to work at rph but not sure why not.
help please
rachel:confused:

Hi Rachel, I work at RPH on nights, in fact I'm here now;) Its a big city centre hospital with another campus at Shenton Park. I have no problems here, I find the management approachable and fair. There is a hugh shortage of nurses everywhere in WA so where you work really is up to you. There are jobs in every hospital. I have no idea about Charlies but everyone I know who has worked at Freo has really good things to say about it. In fact my manager worked there and she says she loved it, but then you have to ask why did she leave:confused: It really depends on where you are going to be living and how far you want to travel to work.
RPH has a new trauma centre opening in the next few weeks and there is a hugh recruitment drive on for that. It looks very state of the art and sounds like it will be a good area to work in. Where is your interview for? Wherever it is dont worry to much I'm sure it will be fine. Just look at it as a start for when you arrive and then if you like it all well and good but if not you can always decide which hospital you want to work at when you know Perth better. Trust me all the hospitals need nurses.
Tracie

rachel118 Jan 13th 2008 8:53 am

hi, thanks for reply. i will be having interview for 6h general surgical ward.

sunflower7 Jan 23rd 2008 8:25 pm

Hi Tracie

I'm an A&E nurse and in the process of thinking about working in ED at RPH next year. Do they have a shortage there also? and do you know how things are there generally?, especially if they are building a new hospital.

I would be glad of any info regarding all ED around Perth. I did visit RPH and Femantle ED some years ago, but I expect things have changed since then.
Thanks

Sara W Jan 23rd 2008 8:49 pm

It would be easy to commute to Perth Royal. I understand it has a train station right outside. My friend works at Charlies, he likes it there.

Good luck,
Sara :)

breezeboylan Jan 27th 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by sunflower7 (Post 5830113)
Hi Tracie

I'm an A&E nurse and in the process of thinking about working in ED at RPH next year. Do they have a shortage there also? and do you know how things are there generally?, especially if they are building a new hospital.

I would be glad of any info regarding all ED around Perth. I did visit RPH and Femantle ED some years ago, but I expect things have changed since then.
Thanks

A&E in RPH is very busy and always short staffed so I'm sure you would have no problem getting a job there. It's supposed to be the 2nd busiest A&E in Australia, the first being one in Sydney. It's still not confirmed whether or not RPH is closing when the new hospital opens. But thats not going to happen before 2011 anyway. There is a lot of opposition to closing RPH so whop knows what will happen.
Tracie

nursemandy Jan 30th 2008 9:51 pm

Hi there,
I have been reading the comments regarding working in Perth. I also have a dilema as i have been offered a post in RPH ED and awaiting a reply from Westmead ED in Sydney..
I am not sure what area to choose, i have never been to Australia so i am not sure what to expect..
What sort of visa do you need and how long does the nursing registration take? Visafirst.com have given me a small insight into what i require.
Can anyone reccommend any accomodation near either hospital that i could rent until i found my feet. Would be great to meet with anyone else in a similar situation..

augigi Jan 31st 2008 11:51 am

I wouldn't worry about accommodation until you decide where and when you are going.

Registration takes differing times depending on which state you go to. You can check out the nursing board of the different states.

Perth and Sydney are very different, and a looooooong way away from each other - you should decide where you want to go first.

smith_rs Mar 10th 2008 7:11 am

Hi I have just moved and have just started at RPH. Finding accommodation is a big problem if you are looking in or near the city. You cant rent somewhere without first seeing the property. Also all property seems to be in demand and the market is very fast moving and expensive. I can only suggest asking the hospital about their staff accommodation while you look for somewhere.

flossie22 Mar 12th 2008 10:57 pm

Hi guys.....I have reading through the threads with intrest. We plan to arrive in the Joondalup area in June. I am currently a senior staff nurse in sexual health. I am at the end of my family planning course-so I will have that to take with me.

Is GUM/ Sexual health hospital based or community based?

What are the wages like? do you feel as poorly paid as a nurse in Aus like you do here?:thumbdown:

Good luck everyone with the job/house hunting:thumbsup:

pobby Mar 13th 2008 7:17 pm

ah thanks Flossie, i was just about to post a similar question. i am also a GUM nurse, only been doing it for 4 months but love it and dont really fancy going to work back on the wards after finally escaping them! :sneaky: we are hoping to move out to Perth area next year but really unsure as to where to go...am in the very early stages of research!
would love to hear other peoples ideas about nursing over there...good luck Flossie, maybe I will meet you in a clinic over there some place!
Pobby :)

flossie22 Mar 13th 2008 10:29 pm

good luck with ur application-if u need any help just let me know!!!
:thumbsup: