British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   Nursing Coffs Harbour, Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nursing-coffs-harbour-australia-651152/)

UKStudentNurse Jan 25th 2010 1:22 pm

Nursing Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi All,

I'm a student nurse in UK. I've been to Coffs Harbour 3 times to visit my partners family and hopefully once I'm qualified we'd love to move there.
Are there any other nurses or student nurses who are planning on doing the same thing? If so how have you been getting on?
And does anyone know how employment is currently in Australia??

I'd be grateful for any response,

Sam :thumbsup:

pil Jan 25th 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Nursing Coffs Harbour, Australia

I am going to move from uk to coffs harbour in RSMS visa as I have applied for.Waiting for my decission.

Thanks

UKStudentNurse Jan 25th 2010 1:47 pm

I was considering that visa - as we have family there they would happily sponser us. Do you know how long that would take to be granted the visa? Would it be quicker with that option?

Sam

Ozwanderer Jan 25th 2010 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by UKStudentNurse (Post 8280199)
I was considering that visa - as we have family there they would happily sponser us. Do you know how long that would take to be granted the visa? Would it be quicker with that option?

Sam

You need some experience to qualify for that visa Sam though you could get a 457 Employer Sponsored visa once qualified and that'll likely be the quickest.
State Nursing Board registration will be necessary.
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/ , that being a visa used often by medical professionals.

Not too sure if there are any private hospitals in CH these days as well as the main public one but the partners family ought to be able to advise re that as potential employer sponsors.

You'll not need family sponsorship with a 457 and the other alternative will be to get 12 months experience in the UK or elsewhere prior to making an independent skilled visa application, nursing being on the CSL and damily sponsorship would reduce the number of points needed in assessment.
You would need to be first assessed by http://www.anmc.org.au/
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ns-outside.htm

UKStudentNurse Jan 25th 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks, I intend to get a couple of years experience for a couple of years after I qualify giving me time to apply and save money also.
I know there is the Coffs Harbour Base Hospital but I think there are also some privates ones around the area.

Dorothy Jan 25th 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by UKStudentNurse (Post 8280150)
Hi All,

I'm a student nurse in UK. I've been to Coffs Harbour 3 times to visit my partners family and hopefully once I'm qualified we'd love to move there.
Are there any other nurses or student nurses who are planning on doing the same thing? If so how have you been getting on?
And does anyone know how employment is currently in Australia??

I'd be grateful for any response,

Sam :thumbsup:

I've moved your thread to the nursing forum where hopefully you will get some advice from others who have moved to Coffs Harbour area.

UKStudentNurse Jan 28th 2010 8:35 pm

thanks,
just wondering also if anyone knows what the job situation is like in Coffs Harbour at the moment, is there much of a demand for nurses??

wilson01 Jan 29th 2010 5:30 am

Originally Posted by UKStudentNurse (Post 8291494)
thanks,
just wondering also if anyone knows what the job situation is like in Coffs Harbour at the moment, is there much of a demand for nurses??

If your partner's family live in Coffs Harbour, maybe they could tell you about the work situation? Surely they would have a little bit more knowledge about this seeing as they live there. They could give you a list of all local hospitals and you could research their websites and maybe express an interest that you would like to be considered for a post when you have finished your training :fingerscrossed:

holamigo Feb 10th 2010 1:52 pm

Hey Sam,

I'll also be a student nurse soon and i'm planning to move to Oz after training!

Have you thought about doing a 1year graduate programme - that way you can go straight after you qualify. Look up 'healthscope'

Hope that helps a little!

:)

UKStudentNurse Feb 10th 2010 8:20 pm

Hi!

what part of oz you planning on moving to?
Yeah I've thought about it but due to uni my funds are dry! Will have to save up rather a bit before. Also, I want to work in UK for a little while first anyway. Does sound good though, I like the idea of the rotation - not many UK hospitals do that but it would be a much better idea and give more chance to get a broader experience.

How far into your training are you??

Sam

chatterboxmoira Feb 10th 2010 8:37 pm

Not sure where in the UK you are, but when I qualified in 2002 I got a rotation post at Taunton hospital in Somerset. Many hospitals where beginning to employ newly qualified's like that as it gives good grounding. Look at different trust websites or ask on here if nurses still in UK know if there hospital does rotations.
I don't know what the situation is now, even at Taunton because I've been in Ireland for 6 years. It might mean a move, but might just be worth it for the greater experience.

Moira

UKStudentNurse Feb 10th 2010 8:41 pm

Hey!
Thanks for replying, I'm also in Somerset but Yeovil. I will contact Taunton to see if they offer that still, I know Yeovil doesn't though.
But yeah does sound like a good idea!!

Sam

chatterboxmoira Feb 10th 2010 8:52 pm

Excellent, You can commute from Yeovil, I knew loads of people who did. Just hope they're still running it. Ring HR, they'll tell you.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

UKStudentNurse Feb 11th 2010 8:40 am

Thank you!! Yeah I will definatly look into it :D