British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   Nursing in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nursing-canada-926410/)

nadinepeps Jul 13th 2019 8:29 pm

Nursing in Canada

Hello everyone
I am a registered nurse in the UK qualified since 2005 I have experience in medical , surgical, tissue viability and infection control nursing. I really want to immigrate to Canada ...Ontario can you give me some advice on how to make a start? I am 42 years old and sometimes think that I am too old to start the application process.
your advice will be much appreciated.
nadine

Silverdragon102 Jul 13th 2019 11:44 pm

Re: Nursing in Canada

It will be a long process especially with NNAS and CNO. Also expensive. You will require transcripts and they will need to show clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult

christmasoompa Jul 14th 2019 11:36 am

To add to the above, do check to see if you're eligible for a visa - at 42 unfortunately you'll be losing points due to your age, so worth looking in to asap (even if you have to get your visa now and wait for your nursing registration).

Good luck.

Airborne_Dan Jul 17th 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by nadinepeps (Post 12710042)
Hello everyone
I am a registered nurse in the UK qualified since 2005 I have experience in medical , surgical, tissue viability and infection control nursing. I really want to immigrate to Canada ...Ontario can you give me some advice on how to make a start? I am 42 years old and sometimes think that I am too old to start the application process.
your advice will be much appreciated.
nadine

Nadine, you'll be eligible for a fast track entry system up to the age of 47. It is claimed that it takes 6 -8 months. But first you need to be licensed with the forementioned registration bodies. NNAS claims it will take a year. Its all doable if you're determined!

christmasoompa Jul 18th 2019 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 12711464)
Nadine, you'll be eligible for a fast track entry system up to the age of 47. It is claimed that it takes 6 -8 months. But first you need to be licensed with the forementioned registration bodies. NNAS claims it will take a year. Its all doable if you're determined!

Just to clarify, is this ‘fast track entry system’ you’re referring to a visa app? If so, which one? Sounds like Express Entry as that does take 6 months, but being under 47 doesn’t necessarily make one eligible (plenty of people younger than that still don’t score enough), and those aged 47 or older can still be eligible if they can make points up in other areas.

There’s also no requirement to be registered as a nurse for an EE app, that can come later. So is this a nursing registration ‘fast track entry system’ that you’re referring to? If you can clarify for the OP and any other nurses reading that would be great.

Airborne_Dan Jul 18th 2019 8:30 am

Yes I mean the express entry system. I looked it up and it states that you have to be under 47, and you need to be licenced to practice the profession for which you are applying under.

christmasoompa Jul 18th 2019 9:43 am

Not sure where you're reading that, but it's not correct. Other countries (Oz I believe?) do have an age limit, but there's no age limit for EE apps, although you don't get any points for age at all after the age of 45. It's points that count for EE apps, and so eligibility will depend on what the OP is scoring on the CRS.

There's also no requirement to be licensed in the occupation you're applying under, unless it's for FST apps and applying with provincial certification rather than a job offer.

HTH.