Nursing in Canada

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Nursing in Canada

Hello.

Can anyone provide any information re the process of UK nurses working as a Nurse in Canada.

My partner is currently employed in the UK as a childrens nurse. we are looking at applying for the skilled work visa but would like a job offer before hand. Lisa applied to Carna previously as i was looking at going to ALBERTA with my job but that didnt pan out. so we looking at this option.

Does anyone know which province accepts british children nurses and who is most helpful. Carna are slow and not helpful at all. There is also a possibility with them that she may need to re-train and do adults aswell.

Hence we looking in to other areas as i can apply for a job in any area. just easier if lisa can get in as well with out all the hassle.

Thanks

Steve & Lisa
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Canada

Originally Posted by LisaandSteve
Hello.

Can anyone provide any information re the process of UK nurses working as a Nurse in Canada.

My partner is currently employed in the UK as a childrens nurse. we are looking at applying for the skilled work visa but would like a job offer before hand. Lisa applied to Carna previously as i was looking at going to ALBERTA with my job but that didnt pan out. so we looking at this option.

Does anyone know which province accepts british children nurses and who is most helpful. Carna are slow and not helpful at all. There is also a possibility with them that she may need to re-train and do adults aswell.

Hence we looking in to other areas as i can apply for a job in any area. just easier if lisa can get in as well with out all the hassle.

Thanks

Steve & Lisa
I think you will find this is an issue with all provinces as training is expected to be general trained not just one speciality. Only exception would be mental health nurse and only a small handful of provinces accept RMN. I am general trained and have been qualified as a Enrolled Nurse and RN and still have to do stuff before I get eligibility to sit CRNE and have seen other UK nurses post in the Canadian forum and on allnurses.com that they have had to either make courses up or do some assessment before eligibility

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Feb 23rd 2010 at 3:37 pm. Reason: add
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I think you will find this is an issue with all provinces as training is expected to be general trained not just one speciality. Only exception would be mental health nurse and only a small handful of provinces accept RMN.
To clarify the RMN position, to any interested/reading thread. RMN's are currently accepted throughout the four westerly provinces of Canada, those being British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

This link 'The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)' may help you, and others. Best of luck!

Information for foreign-trained registered nurses and psychiatric nurses

http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.a...9.21&prof=3152

Last edited by Psyched; Feb 24th 2010 at 9:13 am. Reason: Information link added
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Hi Lisa and Steve,

I am Adult and Child RN in the UK and came to Alberta in 2008 and sat the CRNE in Oct 2008.

The training here is very general and the exam features elements of all branches of nursing so I'm guessing that Lisa would need to retrain for the other elements - although don't quote me on that.

Alberta Health Services have been going through some restructuring recently and have a hiring freeze on at the moment and any job vacanices that there are, are only open to internal applicants.

That may soon change, but I'm guessing that they will still limit international recruits, placing favour on the new Canadian trained RN's.

I have no idea about the other provinces - so you may be in luck if you look around.

Good luck

Nikki
x