Nursing in Canada

Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

SteveKaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Nursing in Canada

Hi I have recently filled out the forms for nurse registration in Alberta and waiting to hear something back. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through, or is going through the same process.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nursing in Canada

Hi Guys,

We've just moved to Edmonton and I'm a nurse. I sit my CRNE in October.

Good luck with the application.

Nikki
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

We also have started the Alberta reg process about 5 weeks in. Biggest prob we have found has been the uk uni's and the RMC even after we phoned them and found out about costings, we were told no charge sent forms in then a return letter telling about the fees. So 2 weeks wasted i know in the long term 2 weeks is nothing but neverless annoying
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

i applied for registration in BC. It was the most simple and straightforward process. I was told that all I have to do now is give them a few days notice when I am ready to write the exam! they have no set days for the exam, just when you are ready- this the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses BC, not CRNBC
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

pixy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I've temporary registration in BC for RN, I sit my exam in October.
I 've been working in Vancouver as an RN for 3 months.

The process was straightforward, to register with CRNBC, the only hold up came from the NMC and delays in sending transcripts.

If you are an RGN, you will need to sit the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam once you have arrived, it's held 3 0r 4 times a year.

I'd recommend buying the CRNE prep guide and mosby's canadian nurses prep exam, as nursing in Canada has a different emphasis than the UK.
It is very pyscho-social related.

We have been told too think like 22 year old new graduate nurses that have no life or work experience. The exam is multiple choice - 300 questions!

If you telephone the nurses board they will generally give you info on how your file is progressing or a login for their site to review it.

I would also recommend buying a Canadian Drug Guide book, as they tend to use brand names for everything, rather than the generic, and the patients tend to want to know the pharmacology of the drugs they are taking.

The pharmaceutical companies here tend not too issue drug advice leaflets with meds, like they do in the UK.

Good Luck
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

Hello

I came out to Vancouver in March and work as a community nurse in Richmond.
I sat the exam in June, it is a long and exhausting day and you have no confidence at the end that you have passed. We waited a long 6 weeks for the results, fortunately I passed but I met a few that were not so lucky. It is hard to think like a new graduate, experience gives you a different answer.

All the best
Karen
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Preetha PA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SteveKaz
Hi I have recently filled out the forms for nurse registration in Alberta and waiting to hear something back. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through, or is going through the same process.
hello everybody,

I am new to the forum and I am thinking of moving to Alberta too. It is nice to know that others are also going through the process.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope i am not repeating these questions, as i am not sure if they have been answered before.

I had visited the website of CARNA last week and downloaded the forms. I understand that I have to fill up -"Internationally Educated Nurse Application for Assessment" and "Documentation of Nursing Experience/Practice" and send it directly to them along with the fees.

They say that the transripts and Verification of Nursing Registration has to be sent directly to them.

My questions are...

1) Whom do i make the Bank Draft to?
2) Do i have to wait for file number before i request transcripts and other things to be sent directly to them? If not how do they match the files with the transcripts they receive?

thanks again
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

Preetha,

Hallo and welcome not sure who you make the draft out to i would suppose CARNA but not sure we paid by card.

I would ask for transcripts straight away as this is the bit that seems to take all the time we phoned all the institutions before we sent the request in and still there has been loads of delays and chasing up also you need to pay them as well usually £30-£40.

Hope this helps and get used to waiting and frustation
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road

Hey...
WE are thinking of moving to edmonton, my other half has already sent his application to the police and think I will start the CARNE process as it seems like a long one! I am only paed's trained, so think I am going to have to sit every exam under the sun!

Anyone else in the same boat and have any suggestions on where to start, I was going to wait until my oh got confirmation he will be invited over for testing but just don't know, I managed t get my transcripts from my uni, but after reading more they need to come from the uni which is a pain! ha

Would love to hear from anyone! Lisa x
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:11 am
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road

http://allnurses.com/forums/f108/hel...nt-265795.html
http://www.mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourse...ment/index.htm

You could check the above for the information. I am registered in BC and know that Sec assessment is going to be widely used for IEN who are not RGNs. My husband is psych nurse and looking into doing that assessment. From my point of view the info about it is very scarce and I have not come across anyone who actually done it and said anything about it. Good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the information! It's a bit of a mine field, think they should make it as straight forward as the police application!

WE are hoping to be out there in MArch so will be popping into all necessary places as think that may be easier than via the net!

Goods luck to your husband and keep in touch x
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone that did it in 8 months fro applying to province to starting work in Calgary. She just took the CRNE and passed.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

I have recieved my acceptance to work in Alberta all in all it took 5 months which seems the average. Now looking for the job hope to move middle of next year. If we can sell the magic beans we have or the housing market picks up.lol
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future

Hi
i initially applied to CRNBC, got my credentials assessed, but thenswapping and changing my mind between alberta and BC.
Finally decieded on BC, took the exam kin vancouver oct 07 while on holiday there, returned here,carried on working, ad plan to nurse over there in summer o9.
As far as I am aware the exam is national, but the registering bodies are provincial, it took quite a long time for things to be assessed etc and then they give you dates for your exam an you pick one.
I would recommend
the crne prep guide.
I also got the "nursing made easy range"
pschy, adut med surg,paeds,neonatal/midwifery.
I am general adult trained , i trained the old way a fair few years ago now, but a got a degree later on.
Someon also recommended the canadian fundamentals of nursing which was a huge book which I had shipped overe to the uk (remember i took the exam without having actually nursed in canada)
This as pricey, heavy but useful on policies and procedures, and cultural questions to do with stuff that unless you have worked there you would not know.
I would also agree that a canadian drug book is essential .
if you need any further info let me know
good luck