Nursing in California

Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:31 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nursing in California

Hey All
I may have posted this question some time ago but I am asking again! My registration ran out in the UK in 2005 and I am now thinking of starting an RN job here in California. Does anyone have any clue if it matters that I am no longer registered if I want to do the NCLEX?
Also, I haven't worked now for 4 years, I was a nurse practitioner in the UK. I have no idea how the USA is for working as a nurse. Do you have much autonomy, what are the shifts like etc etc. Any insight would be great.
I have tried to call the CA board of nursing but apparently they are 'experiencing a high volume of calls and cannot answer mine'!!!
Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in California

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Hey All
I may have posted this question some time ago but I am asking again! My registration ran out in the UK in 2005 and I am now thinking of starting an RN job here in California. Does anyone have any clue if it matters that I am no longer registered if I want to do the NCLEX?
Also, I haven't worked now for 4 years, I was a nurse practitioner in the UK. I have no idea how the USA is for working as a nurse. Do you have much autonomy, what are the shifts like etc etc. Any insight would be great.
I have tried to call the CA board of nursing but apparently they are 'experiencing a high volume of calls and cannot answer mine'!!!
Thanks for any help.
You might want to search for Rockgirl's posts - AFAIK she is a nurse.

And Honeymommy.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site, www.allnurses.com especially the international forum. You will need to meet the requirements for foreign trained nurse with the CA BON and arrange for your transcripts to be sent over for them to evaluate. You will also need NMC to send out confirmation of your qualifications and forms can be found on their site. It will take a few months before you get the OK to sit the exam. There is also a NCLEX forum on the above site plus a lot of other threads on nursing in USA

I passed NCLEX a few years ago but with one thing and another stuck in the UK due to retrogression.

Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:15 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Try this site, www.allnurses.com especially the international forum. You will need to meet the requirements for foreign trained nurse with the CA BON and arrange for your transcripts to be sent over for them to evaluate. You will also need NMC to send out confirmation of your qualifications and forms can be found on their site. It will take a few months before you get the OK to sit the exam. There is also a NCLEX forum on the above site plus a lot of other threads on nursing in USA

I passed NCLEX a few years ago but with one thing and another stuck in the UK due to retrogression.

Good luck
Thanks. I am actually not that keen on nursing over here - I have lost a bit of confidence since not working for so long. Knowing how much heathcare changes in a short space of time, i am worried what i may not now know! Stil, we have just bought a house so it is always good to have some back up if we need money!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Thanks. I am actually not that keen on nursing over here - I have lost a bit of confidence since not working for so long. Knowing how much heathcare changes in a short space of time, i am worried what i may not now know! Stil, we have just bought a house so it is always good to have some back up if we need money!
If they are aware the employer can offer you good support. I know my employer is offering a good programme for foreign nurses. Even if you get license you don't have to work but is handy to have