British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   are nurses still fast tracked on 175? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nurses-still-fast-tracked-175-a-574124/)

tiredwithtwins Nov 19th 2008 9:12 pm

are nurses still fast tracked on 175?

just been having a peruse around the immigration forum, and was shocked to read some have been waiting over 7-10 months for 175 submitted online, and they still havent heard if they have been allocated a CO!!
Is this the same for nurses?
Are nurses no longer being fast tracked??
Im trying to get my hours up (see my sig) so we can apply for a PR visa (been on the migration train for more years than i care to rmember now!!), but im disheartened to see such long waits!!
looks like it will be a temp visa after all :sneaky:

whats everyones experiences?

cheshiremark Nov 20th 2008 5:34 am

Re: are nurses still fast tracked on 175?

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 6990616)
just been having a peruse around the immigration forum, and was shocked to read some have been waiting over 7-10 months for 175 submitted online, and they still havent heard if they have been allocated a CO!!
Is this the same for nurses?
Are nurses no longer being fast tracked??
Im trying to get my hours up (see my sig) so we can apply for a PR visa (been on the migration train for more years than i care to rmember now!!), but im disheartened to see such long waits!!
looks like it will be a temp visa after all :sneaky:

whats everyones experiences?

Hi,
I applied on the 31st March online and got a CO on the 12th September so it took me five and a half months to get a CO and another 2 months for me to get everything sorted - I got my 175 granted early last week :thumbsup:

vlooi Nov 20th 2008 11:39 am

I dont think so!:( I have applied Jan 2008 for my PR 175 visa and has received a CO only on 13/10. And still waiting...:confused::unsure:

tiredwithtwins Nov 20th 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by cheshiremark (Post 6991685)
Hi,
I applied on the 31st March online and got a CO on the 12th September so it took me five and a half months to get a CO and another 2 months for me to get everything sorted - I got my 175 granted early last week :thumbsup:

YAY!!! congratulatoins mark!!!
... sorry i must have missed that post!!!

did you go on a 457 first then?

cheshiremark Nov 20th 2008 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by vlooi (Post 6992569)
I dont think so!:( I have applied Jan 2008 for my PR 175 visa and has received a CO only on 13/10. And still waiting...:confused::unsure:

Hi,
Congratulations on finally getting a CO after waiting so long for one. Indeed, when I read your post I thought that you had to wait far too long for a CO. I then wondered whether you was from what IMMI class as being a high risk country for immigration purposes. I see from your profile that you are South African born. Now, according to:

http://icuimmigration.com/australiatime.htm

South Africa is indeed classed as a high risk country for immigration purposes and so visa applications from there take longer to process than somebody from a low risk county, e.g. the UK. I'm not sure why this is the case, maybe there are more checks made or something. In saying all this I know that you are currently UK based but I think it actually goes on where your passport is issued as to where IMMI treat you as coming from, i.e. do you have a UK or a South African passport?

Mark :)

cheshiremark Nov 20th 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 6994347)

YAY!!! congratulatoins mark!!!
... sorry i must have missed that post!!!

did you go on a 457 first then?

Hi,
You didn't miss the post cos I didn't post one :lol:. I was going to but then I thought I'm already here. I've already done the life changing thingy 6 months ago and so getting a PR visa now doesn't seem to change much other than the fact that I now feel more secure and I can now claim family tax benefit.

We arrive in Brisbane 6 months ago on a 457 visa and have just returned from NZ after getting our 175 visa finalised in the Australian Embassy there.

I don't know if you've heard but we're in the middle of storm season here and on Sunday we had the worst storm in 25 years - the Suburb called The Gap has been declared a natural disaster zone and night before last we had the worst floods since 1974. Apart from that life is really good here and hopefully there won't be any more storms like them for another 25 years.

If I remember right you're trying to make up your working hours so that you can apply for a 175 aren't you - how many more weeks do you have to do before you can apply?

suzanne7575 Nov 21st 2008 6:14 am

Originally Posted by cheshiremark (Post 6994469)
Hi,
You didn't miss the post cos I didn't post one :lol:. I was going to but then I thought I'm already here. I've already done the life changing thingy 6 months ago and so getting a PR visa now doesn't seem to change much other than the fact that I now feel more secure and I can now claim family tax benefit.

We arrive in Brisbane 6 months ago on a 457 visa and have just returned from NZ after getting our 175 visa finalised in the Australian Embassy there.

I don't know if you've heard but we're in the middle of storm season here and on Sunday we had the worst storm in 25 years - the Suburb called The Gap has been declared a natural disaster zone and night before last we had the worst floods since 1974. Apart from that life is really good here and hopefully there won't be any more storms like them for another 25 years.

If I remember right you're trying to make up your working hours so that you can apply for a 175 aren't you - how many more weeks do you have to do before you can apply?

I'm in a similar position to you in that i don't have enough working hours (and not managing to get enough bank hours to build them up) to apply for the 175 visa now, so we are looking at going over on the 457 visa and will apply a PR visa once we are there. I work about 18 hours a week at the moment so hopefully after 6 months of working full time on a 457 i will be eligible to apply for the `175 (working hours in Oz count don't they?) or will see about going for the ENS visa if my employer will do that for us

vlooi Nov 21st 2008 7:11 am

Originally Posted by cheshiremark (Post 6994411)
Hi,

http://icuimmigration.com/australiatime.htm

South Africa is indeed classed as a high risk country for immigration purposes and so visa applications from there take longer to process than somebody from a low risk county, e.g. the UK. I'm not sure why this is the case, maybe there are more checks made or something. In saying all this I know that you are currently UK based but I think it actually goes on where your passport is issued as to where IMMI treat you as coming from, i.e. do you have a UK or a South African passport?

Thanks Mark and congrats on your visa!:thumbsup: Yes I have a SA passport and I am currently working in the UK. I agree with you that my country of origin might be the reason for the long processing time as just to get a CO took 9 months..:(

allandeb Nov 23rd 2008 9:18 pm

Hello All

We have applied for the 175 visa and i am a nurse (mental health).
Do nurses get "fasttracked"?
Does anyone know the answer.

regards
AllanDebnJack

cheshiremark Nov 23rd 2008 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by allandeb (Post 7002173)
Hello All

regards
AllanDebnJack

Hi,
I don't know if nurses are fast tracked ahead of other professions on the MODL. Have a look at this website:

http://www.beupdate.co.uk/

This gives timelines for British Expats of various professions - including nursing.

tiredwithtwins Nov 23rd 2008 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by cheshiremark (Post 6994469)
Hi,

yep, 11 down 41 to go ... we are going to end up going on a temp visa and my oh is going to take some time off til we can apply for pr - dont want to go down that route but i think its pretty inevitable! we would wait and apply for a 175, but kids are getting older now and dont want to leave it til they get to the age where they dont want to go ...
just need a job in med physics/xray now :thumbsup:

glad to hear its worked out ok for you - gosh cant beleive you have been there 6 months already!

do you have kids?

sue :D

tiredwithtwins Nov 23rd 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by allandeb (Post 7002173)
Hello All

regards
AllanDebnJack

it would appear not ... :(

couple of years ago, nurses were processed in 8-12 weeks ... which is a vast improvement on the up to 2 years processing time of 18+ years ago when i first applied ... if only id gone then!!!!!
:eek::lol:

cheshiremark Nov 23rd 2008 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 7002455)
yep, 11 down 41 to go ... we are going to end up going on a temp visa and my oh is going to take some time off til we can apply for pr - dont want to go down that route but i think its pretty inevitable! we would wait and apply for a 175, but kids are getting older now and dont want to leave it til they get to the age where they dont want to go ...
just need a job in med physics/xray now :thumbsup:

glad to hear its worked out ok for you - gosh cant beleive you have been there 6 months already!

do you have kids?

sue :D

Hi Sue,
yeah the last six months have flown by. We have two kids, one 7 and the other 17. I think we was lucky in the fact that the eldest wanted to come - I know that there are a lot of teens who don't.

stickygreen Nov 26th 2008 8:47 am

Dear tiredwithtwins

I applied october 13 2007 and received 175 on 13 April 2008, so not a bad wait really.

Jo