A not so good update (sorry)

Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:05 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A not so good update (sorry)

Originally Posted by Gary&Family
Well, lots to say but not enough time (I'm in the library for net access at the moment and I've got to go and meet Sally and the kids shortly).

I'm afraid the news from me isn't good, because I am really struggling with everything.
I've never been a person to be homesick, and have moved around lots, but this is really killing me. We've not even been here a week and already I want to go home.

Just to get things into perspective, I wasn't expecting Oz to be Little Britain with a better climate and knew that everything would be vastly different.
I knew there would be a long period of time needed to settle in. I was someone who laughed at people who didn't give the new life at least 6 months before going home and swore I'd never do that.

And now I know exactly how they felt.

There are lots of great things about Brisbane (and Australia) that I like (even despite the weather at the moment).

But there are a million and one things wrong.

I've woken up every day at 3 in the morning, unable to get back to sleep, worrying that I've made the biggest mistake of my life - giving up security and dragging my family half way across the world. Pacing the floor wondering what to do next.

The sensible side says give it way more time, don't be so silly.

The emotional side says run home with tail between legs.

Hopefully, I'll settle down a bit before I end up booking the return flights.

Sorry to bring a downer to everything. I just can't help how I'm feeling at the moment. I'm trying desperately to be positve, but am failing at present.

I just don't know why I feel like this. I lived and breathed this move for so long and was absolutely positive and certain 100% throughout.

My leaving party was definately very sad and I was gutted to say goodbye to my best mate at the airport, but I still remained positive about the move. Then suddenly, around the second day here, things started to feel so very wrong.

Enough of my rambling, I'll post again soon.
My husband felt just like you are feeling, he really struggled.
You are still jet lagged and that coupled with the intense emotions that you had at your party and at the airport are all playing on your mind.
When these grey skies and rain shift and we are back to blue skies and sunshine I am confident you will start to feel better. The first few weeks are a rollercoaster of emotions and such a busy and stressfull time, we fought jet lag for two weeks when we arrived and those two weeks were the busiest of our 5 months here.
Dont do anything rash and give it time

Good Luck.
Sharon
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Hi Gary,
I just wanted to say that I agree with everyone else, you need to give your body time to adjust. You have been through an emotional rollercoaster and now you are in an unfamiliar enviroment, hard for anyone to deal with.
Please, for the sake of yourself and your family, take some time to relax and readjust, do some touristy things. If you find you are awake at 3 in the morning think fond memories of home and imagine new adventures in Oz. You HAVE made the right decision for your family, you have been brave taking a big step and doing something some people can only dream about doing, enjoy it as a family.
I think we will all admit to rocky moments, I know I have had them, but go back? you would'nt be able to drag me back kicking and screaming.
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on
all the best to you and yours
jacqui
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:12 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: A not so good update (sorry)

Hi Gary to echo everyone else… give it time it will all fall into place.

Once you get jobs and kids in school etc. it will become normal mundane life. Saying that I went out for drinks last night and came back with a balloon flight and a pool table so not quite sure what Aus normal life is yet think I’m still in surreal mode... .

This weather at the moment has only helped convince me why I don’t want to go back to days and days of grey gloom and rain in the UK, this weather has been so like that after the normal bright sunshine of Aus it’s been a right downer... .

Can’t wait to taste Claries special recipe pizza, have you thought of franchising it Claire or starting your own chain…don’t forget mines pepperoni.

Find an area you like, a job you like, a house you like and enjoy all the new things a new country brings with lots of things to do and explore... .
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

We have been here 5 months this weekend and this about the first week I have felt more settled. It has taken a long time and a very difficult one, there are no easy answers, I really feel for you, I would have jumped on a plane back home so many times its untrue.

Take one day at a time, try and do some things you enjoy. The jet lag is grim, really messies your body up and your mind. Be gentle on yourself and don't feel you are the only one, I do hope you feel better soon. Talking about it can help and meeting other expats who understand.

Nicola
Old Mar 5th 2006, 1:40 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Saying that I went out for drinks last night and came back with a balloon flight and a pool table

OMG! Ann where did you go? lol
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
OMG! Ann where did you go? lol
We went to Brisbane Motor Show Ball and they had one of those charity auctions for Royal Brisbane Childrens Hospital...well you know what with the wine and things we ended up bidding for balloons and pool table and won....oops .

Looks like we are now going for sunrise balloon flight over Brisbane and have a solid wood pool table...lol...will keep the son off the xbox if nothing else... .
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:07 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Well, lots to say but not enough time (I'm in the library for net access at the moment and I've got to go and meet Sally and the kids shortly).

I'm afraid the news from me isn't good, because I am really struggling with everything.
I've never been a person to be homesick, and have moved around lots, but this is really killing me. We've not even been here a week and already I want to go home.

Just to get things into perspective, I wasn't expecting Oz to be Little Britain with a better climate and knew that everything would be vastly different.
I knew there would be a long period of time needed to settle in. I was someone who laughed at people who didn't give the new life at least 6 months before going home and swore I'd never do that.

There are lots of great things about Brisbane (and Australia) that I like (even despite the weather at the moment).

I've woken up every day at 3 in the morning, unable to get back to sleep, worrying that I've made the biggest mistake of my life - giving up security and dragging my family half way across the world. Pacing the floor wondering what to do next.

Sorry to bring a downer to everything. I just can't help how I'm feeling at the moment. I'm trying desperately to be positve, but am failing at present.

I just don't know why I feel like this. I lived and breathed this move for so long and was absolutely positive and certain 100% throughout.

My leaving party was definately very sad and I was gutted to say goodbye to my best mate at the airport, but I still remained positive about the move. Then suddenly, around the second day here, things started to feel so very wrong.

Sorry to hear that Gary.....I'm sure you'll feel much better as many have said, after the jet lag settles, and you get into a more normal routine i.e job, schools for kids etc,

Hang in there
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Hi Gary to echo everyone else… give it time it will all fall into place.

Once you get jobs and kids in school etc. it will become normal mundane life. Saying that I went out for drinks last night and came back with a balloon flight and a pool table so not quite sure what Aus normal life is yet think I’m still in surreal mode... .

This weather at the moment has only helped convince me why I don’t want to go back to days and days of grey gloom and rain in the UK, this weather has been so like that after the normal bright sunshine of Aus it’s been a right downer... .

Can’t wait to taste Claries special recipe pizza, have you thought of franchising it Claire or starting your own chain…don’t forget mines pepperoni.

Find an area you like, a job you like, a house you like and enjoy all the new things a new country brings with lots of things to do and explore... .

Ok, I'm going off the thread a bit here, but my pizza needs a bit more practice Ann. Maybe when Gary gets to read this, he'll realize what a bunch of mad hatters we are and may want to stay with us. Hope it doesn't make him want to go home even more!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:10 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Hi gary

I agree with these guys,

Give it more time, get over the jet lag, thats the biggy and get a job fill your days and get to meet new people. Just dont do anything rash, if you leave and come home now, the rest of your life will be full of what if's.....

Justin
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Ok, I'm going off the thread a bit here, but my pizza needs a bit more practice Ann. Maybe when Gary gets to read this, he'll realize what a bunch of mad hatters we are and may want to stay with us. Hope it doesn't make him want to go home even more!!!!
I did have a proper pizza baking plate but left it in UK, due to lack of use... found pizza hut did them much better (pizza hut in UK used Monterey Jack cheese but they don't seem to here not the same taste so have gone over to dominos instead... sorry no offence meant this is before I have tasted your special recipe ). We should just get Paul to invite Garry and wife and they could meet sensible people commited to leading life to the full. Oh! And my hubby spoke to auction people apparently we won the pool table at 3rd of normal price so we are on a role, you will have to come over for a game one night Claire after Paul leaves us to our own devices... :scared: .
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: A not so good update (sorry)

Have PM'd you, Tass.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

I did have a proper pizza baking plate but left it in UK, due to lack of use... found pizza hut did them much better (pizza hut in UK used Monterey Jack cheese but they don't seem to here not the same taste so have gone over to dominos instead... sorry no offence meant this is before I have tasted your special recipe ). We should just get Paul to invite Garry and wife and they could meet sensible people commited to leading life to the full. Oh! And my hubby spoke to auction people apparently we won the pool table at 3rd of normal price so we are on a role, you will have to come over for a game one night Claire after Paul leaves us to our own devices... :scared: .

I have spoken to Claire who has sent Gary her number. I asked her to invite Gary and his family over on Saturday, as you say, to meet some 'normal' people (although me and G aren't that normal by the end of the night )
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by paulb
I have spoken to Claire who has sent Gary her number. I asked her to invite Gary and his family over on Saturday, as you say, to meet some 'normal' people (although me and G aren't that normal by the end of the night )
Problems problems ... thought of another one Paul have sent you PM.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:04 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so hard on yourself.......

You wouldnt be human if you didnt have doubts and worries, you have made the biggest decision of your life, don't give up on your dream just yet

Keep strong, all will be well
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by paulb
Cheers Paul thought I was going to miss the pizza there...phew!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.