British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   not enough maternity hours (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/not-enough-maternity-hours-402155/)

dylan101 Oct 14th 2006 1:45 pm

not enough maternity hours

Can anyone help please! I have been offered a job in Vancouver as a community home care nurse but the Canadian nursing board (CRNBC) have notified me that I do not have enough practical and theory hours in Maternity. I understand that this is a requirement in order to register as a nurse in order to practice in Canada. Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how did they solve it? thanks

Silverdragon102 Oct 14th 2006 2:35 pm

Re: not enough maternity hours

Originally Posted by dylan101
Can anyone help please! I have been offered a job in Vancouver as a community home care nurse but the Canadian nursing board (CRNBC) have notified me that I do not have enough practical and theory hours in Maternity. I understand that this is a requirement in order to register as a nurse in order to practice in Canada. Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how did they solve it? thanks

think I have just answered this on allnurses, basically you need to make the hours up with acreditted school of nursing. May be worth trying a few school of nursing in Canada and see if they will accept you to make the hours up but will probably charge you for it, once done you would probably just need to get proof set over showing you have made the hours up

Yoong Oct 18th 2006 7:00 pm

You could ask CRNBC for direction,how many hours you are short
and how and where to get the the course done in BC.
Luckily I did my Midwifery before coming here to avoid the hassle.
Another option to check for short maternity course in UK if there
is any.
Yoong
BC

dylan101 Oct 18th 2006 7:22 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot do it in BC as I can't get a temporary work permit until I get the couse. My only hope now is to find a course in the UK, which might be difficult. thanks

Yoong Oct 18th 2006 9:33 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot do it in BC as I can't get a temporary work permit until I get the couse. My only hope now is to find a course in the UK, which might be difficult. thanks

1)Don't give up, perhaps contact your new employer and see whether
they could sponsor you and let you work as a grad nurse.
May be ask CRNBC for any suggestions.Remember you already paid them for
doing the assessment , at least they could come up with few suggestions
to help ease the nursing shortage here.

2) Email Alberta Reg , nurses association and let them know about the
assessment by CRNBC.They may let you work in Alberta while making
up for the MAT. hours. I was hired in Alberta as a grad nurse when I
first came to Canada .
Alberta may assess your qualifications differently. Worth a try.
Good luck,
Yoong
BC

Yoong Oct 21st 2006 6:39 am

Today, I spoke with a nursing instructor about your case,
She suggests that you could do the online theory Maternity/Newborn
course with Langara College WWW.langara,bc.ca . Go to the Continuing
Education section,then on the left hand side click A-Z course listing.
the scroll down for the above course.For practical, it is 120 hours of
percetorship program about 1 month duration.She says that you could
coordinate with College regarding coming over here to do the practical.
According to her all her foriegn students completed the course easily.
If your employer is willing to hold the job for you, that would be great.
As soon as you complete the practical here, you'll get the temp.permit.
Hope that helps.
PS Kwantlen College offers the same course but not sure whether they offer online theory. www.kwantlen.ca

dylan101 Oct 21st 2006 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Yoong
Today, I spoke with a nursing instructor about your case,
She suggests that you could do the online theory Maternity/Newborn
course with Langara College WWW.langara,bc.ca . Go to the Continuing
Education section,then on the left hand side click A-Z course listing.
the scroll down for the above course.For practical, it is 120 hours of
percetorship program about 1 month duration.She says that you could
coordinate with College regarding coming over here to do the practical.
According to her all her foriegn students completed the course easily.
If your employer is willing to hold the job for you, that would be great.
As soon as you complete the practical here, you'll get the temp.permit.
Hope that helps.
PS Kwantlen College offers the same course but not sure whether they offer online theory. www.kwantlen.ca

Thanks for your help but after some continuous persistence on my part, the CRNBC have reviewed my file again and have reconsidered their decision and are happy for me to register without the maternity course which is great news and I cannot believe it!! It just goes to show that whatever you wish to do in life never give up, so thanks anyway and good luck to you in whatever you do.

Yoong Oct 21st 2006 5:24 pm

Thanks for your help but after some continuous persistence on my part, the CRNBC have reviewed my file again and have reconsidered their decision and are happy for me to register without the maternity course which is great news and I cannot believe it!! It just goes to show that whatever you wish to do in life never give up, so thanks anyway and good luck to you in whatever you do.

Congratulations, welcome to Vancouver.
I may run into you someday when I refer my pysch
clients to you.
I am glad the CRNBC is flexible.
Good luck, Yoong