News from Paulb

Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

kerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nice
Default Re: News from Paulb

Trish, how did you manage to organise a telephone number before you left the UK?

kerry
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

kerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nice

Mount Ollivet community palliative care team, thanks Lyn i will do a search. I didn't pursue Mount Ollivet as i thought it was miles away on the other side of Brisbane but then my geography of Australis really is very poor at this early stage!

kerry
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:33 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Aus sim from Uk see this thread... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=mobile
you get them no problem but can't start using till you set foot in Aus but at least you can give your number out. Remember to get your phone unblocked or buy one from car phone wharehouse which sell them already unblocked. Mobiles seem cheaper to buy in UK so if you want latest model buy before you leave.

I did think of applying there for palliative as well but was quite a travel from here and don't want son unsupported. Lot's of hospitals have palliative area, qute a few local to here.

Last edited by annqldau; Dec 5th 2005 at 11:40 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerryinuk
Trish, how did you manage to organise a telephone number before you left the UK?

kerry
hi kerry,

for the mobile i got an aus sim card sent out http:/www.0044.co.uk/australia
ours have been excellent, and with any nokia phone they are unlocked, found this out when i went to get mine done, thats with contract phones dont know about pay as you go.
got our landline sorted aswell, we had the rental sorted so i rang aapt.com.au and they sorted if for me to be on the day we arrived, they also gave me the number to give out to family before we left.
hope this helps

Trish
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:53 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kerryinuk
Mount Ollivet community palliative care team, thanks Lyn i will do a search. I didn't pursue Mount Ollivet as i thought it was miles away on the other side of Brisbane but then my geography of Australis really is very poor at this early stage!

kerry
Kerry Mount Ollivet is just a name of where it was originally based - they are one of the main palliative care associations in Brisbane and the surrounding areas - they work all over and remind me of the equivelent of Marie Curie back home.

Lynn
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

This sounds fab Lynn i hope there are more local centers around Redlands/Cleveland as i love Palliative care but i couldn't travel for hours. I will contact Mount Olivet and enquire. Hows your new job? settling in i hope with your own caseload to consentrate on . Hope so much to meet with you all sometime in the very near future. We have sold our house to private buyers and will be signing contracts shortly. Visa wise, meds/pcc all sent and meds passed. Requested pcc on 17 year old daughter and this was sent 2 weeks ago. Now we wait but not sure how long for Our lives are in the hands of our case officer!

kerry x
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Sorry for not posting more folks, been so busy.

Life here is pretty good, although we have had a bit of rain lately, generally it is sunny and hot or sunny and very hot. Even when it rains it is still hot. Had some fantastic electical storms too.

Im working in the Home Based Acute Care Team now. There is a Clinical Nurse Consultant in charge of the team, myself as a Clinical Nurse, and a supprt worker. We have 1 car assigned to us and there are another 10 for use by community nurses, mainly continuing care team and us.

We work 8.30 - 5, Mon - Fri and get an ADO, (additional day off )n once a month, due to working longer hours each day than we actually get paid for. We do acute care for people on the brink of admission or to facilitate early discharge, however people are admitted here much more readily than in UK. Some practices are a little bit 'dated' to say the least, but in other ways they are quite innovative. The access team that I started in is the single point of access to mental health services for anyone, only 1 telephone number ( but 2 exts). Every phone call comes through this number, and then dealt with accordingly. They do lots of assessments, booked and walk ins and following review by the MDT, passed to the appropriate team / worker. All after hours stuff is done in A + E.

So I guess work is work the world over. Its the bits around work that are better. The weather for example, and the activities we can do. Obviously the beach, although there are only small beaches here, for $6 return, we take the 10 minute ferry over to Coochimudlo Island where there are lovely beaches. A 40 minute ferry ride gets us to North Stradbroke Island, which Im told is beautiful. We plan on going next weekend, although the wife says swimming is out as there was a girl killed by a shark last weekend, first time in 44 years, but still!!!!
Also there is lots to do down the Gold Coast, about 1 hours drive, Sea World, wet n wild, Movie world, Dream world etc, and some fantastic shopping centres and places to eat out. The city (40 mins) is a beautiful city too, parents were well impressed. Also the kids have a huge trampoline, and we bought a 4wd...wll its the thing to do .....to get everyone in!!!!

Dont have as much time to spend on here these days, but I get on when I can. Meeting up with Claire (Robbo2) tonight and family, also going out with the 'diving nurses' and Nikkers and hubby on Saturday. Playing (real) football with Lynnelovessuns hubby on Friday too. Have also met Rich and Ange a few times and Scissors cuts our hair. So met a few people thru this site, and hopefully our social life will develop more too.

Good luck to all those waiting. If we can help at all, please ask.

Paul

ps Got parents here for 3 months and sister and partner for a month, so got babysitters
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb

Life here is pretty good, although we have had a bit of rain lately, generally it is sunny and hot or sunny and very hot. Even when it rains it is still hot. Had some fantastic electical storms too.

Im working in the Home Based Acute Care Team now. There is a Clinical Nurse Consultant in charge of the team, myself as a Clinical Nurse, and a supprt worker. We have 1 car assigned to us and there are another 10 for use by community nurses, mainly continuing care team and us.

We work 8.30 - 5, Mon - Fri and get an ADO, (additional day off )n once a month, due to working longer hours each day than we actually get paid for. We do acute care for people on the brink of admission or to facilitate early discharge, however people are admitted here much more readily than in UK. Some practices are a little bit 'dated' to say the least, but in other ways they are quite innovative. The access team that I started in is the single point of access to mental health services for anyone, only 1 telephone number ( but 2 exts). Every phone call comes through this number, and then dealt with accordingly. They do lots of assessments, booked and walk ins and following review by the MDT, passed to the appropriate team / worker. All after hours stuff is done in A + E.

So I guess work is work the world over. Its the bits around work that are better. The weather for example, and the activities we can do. Obviously the beach, although there are only small beaches here, for $6 return, we take the 10 minute ferry over to Coochimudlo Island where there are lovely beaches. A 40 minute ferry ride gets us to North Stradbroke Island, which Im told is beautiful. We plan on going next weekend, although the wife says swimming is out as there was a girl killed by a shark last weekend, first time in 44 years, but still!!!!
Also there is lots to do down the Gold Coast, about 1 hours drive, Sea World, wet n wild, Movie world, Dream world etc, and some fantastic shopping centres and places to eat out. The city (40 mins) is a beautiful city too, parents were well impressed. Also the kids have a huge trampoline, and we bought a 4wd...wll its the thing to do .....to get everyone in!!!!

Dont have as much time to spend on here these days, but I get on when I can. Meeting up with Claire (Robbo2) tonight and family, also going out with the 'diving nurses' and Nikkers and hubby on Saturday. Playing (real) football with Lynnelovessuns hubby on Friday too. Have also met Rich and Ange a few times and Scissors cuts our hair. So met a few people thru this site, and hopefully our social life will develop more too.

Paul

ps Got parents here for 3 months and sister and partner for a month, so got babysitters
great to hear from you paul, it sounds like life is trating you well.

good to know you're becoming friends with expats from here, reassurring i should say!

all the best paul and a happy new year to you all, enjoy the family being there,

debbie x
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:26 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb

Paul

Hiya Paul and Jo

Hope you are all okay, it certainly sounds it. Bought a 4wd eh. thats my boy. We have little Anna's shoes here from xmas eve still. Not had much chance to rbing them round yet but should be able to pop over next week. Have been looking for work and had my first interview today in the city. Was okay and will know next week.

Have tried to send text messages to Jo but it won't let me keeps saying Error. So don't know whats going on there. But when you fancy a dip in the pool and a beer let us know and it will be lovely to see you again. Enjoy seeing you both. May even get you and Rich on the BBQ as you are both trained chefs!! as well as nurses.

Anyway take care and see you all soon

Ang, Rich and girls x
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
great to hear from you paul, it sounds like life is trating you well.

good to know you're becoming friends with expats from here, reassurring i should say!

all the best paul and a happy new year to you all, enjoy the family being there,

debbie x

hi debs!!

how the devil are you hun!

sorry to hijack your post paul!

luv

Trish
xx
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi paul,

good to hear you are well, and enjoying all oz has to offer.
were having a great time too, work is work as you say, just different country, prem babies are the same, just a huge regional unit so its always extremely busy, but everyone has been very welcoming and friendly.
got our shipping yesterday, really chuffed as it all feels complete now, and all our things were spotless and intact, very chuffed with pss.
definitely dont go swimming!! lots of sharkeys down your way!
anyway, keep in touch,

take care

luv

Trish
xx
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Great to hear from you Paul, have you seen any HUNTSMEN yet :scared: ?
We got our visa so will be around your area end of Jan, we're looking at Cleveland. Take care and do keep us informed of how everything is going.

kerry
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies folks.

A few huntsmen in the house, relatively small ones though, just chuc em outside. Found 2 redbacks on the patio yesterday, squashed em and going to phone the real estate place today. I think they arrange for someone to come round and spray the house. Ours is a brand new house remember, so it doesnt take long. Some other weird and wonderful spiders outside too....think they are all safe!! :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:08 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds fantastic, enjoy the life.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thouht I better write an update. Been quite busy since arriving and not had much time to spend on here. Seems that most others are the same.

You will recall our earlier 'adventures', planning to go to Grafton in NSW, and then deciding it was not for us. We then found ourselves on the other side of the world, no house and no job. I had holidayed in Bayside Brisbane in '92, so we decided to pitch up there. Got ourselves a rental and I got a job, and decided to consolidate over Xmas.

Recently we visited Melbourne, in particular the Mornington Peninsular, after hearing some positive reports. There are far more opportunities for work for Joanne (horse stables, equestrian etc), the climate is not as oppresive, and the beaches are terrific. Taking all this into account (and a few other reasons), we have decided to move down to Mornington on March 18th. Im going down next week to finalise a job for me, and to sort out a rental, so that our furniture can be transported from door to door.

We have made some good friends here, Ann and Greame, Nicky and Graham, Rich and Ange, Claire and Kevin to name but a few. But we have decided that Mornington may be a better option for us at this time, and we may look to buy a property, so we feel more settled.

So there you go, thats the latest little adventure for us. After everything else it will be like a walk in the park.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.