New grad looking for advice on nursing in Oz

Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

yc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really nice
Default New grad looking for advice on nursing in Oz

Hi Guys,

Really need some advice, please! Brief update on me:

Newly Graduated in Feb 10, with BSc in Nursing
Still no nursing job - had 3 interviews out of 75 applications sent. Requested interview feedback, and all very positive, except they went for experienced applicants ....

OH lives and works in US, and is due (hopefully) to get citizenship next May. We would like for me to move to the USA sometime in late 2012 (if all goes well with visa's etc).

In the meantime I had hoped to undertake a new grad position in oz, but missed the boat on applying (my dad died, and Australia kind of got put on the back burner!). I am currently 43years, and can't get a job, here in the UK, in nursing (although I do have a job working in education). BF who has just qualified also, suggested to me yesterday we should try and look at getting to OZ for a year or so, and try and get some post grad experience!

So....there you have it! I really need some pointers, please! Any ideas what visa's I could go for, given that I have no post grad experience, and my age is against me. I realise that, if lucky enough to get a visa it would only be temporary. Incidentally, i did have a look at the grad prog on the Mater hospitals site, but ( and I could be wrong here) they wanted face to face interviews. Also, should I apply for ANMC registration BEFORE I start emailing hospitals etc ??

Any advice GREATLY appreciated, .... this 'jobs freeze' situation is really getting so disheartening!!

bw - evie
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Skydiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New grad looking for advice on nursing in Oz

Originally Posted by yc2m
Hi Guys,

Still no nursing job - had 3 interviews out of 75 applications sent. Requested interview feedback, and all very positive, except they went for experienced applicants ....

OH lives and works in US, and is due (hopefully) to get citizenship next May. We would like for me to move to the USA sometime in late 2012 (if all goes well with visa's etc).

In the meantime I had hoped to undertake a new grad position in oz, but missed the boat on applying (my dad died, and Australia kind of got put on the back burner!). I am currently 43years, and can't get a job, here in the UK, in nursing (although I do have a job working in education). BF who has just qualified also, suggested to me yesterday we should try and look at getting to OZ for a year or so, and try and get some post grad experience!

So....there you have it! I really need some pointers, please! Any ideas what visa's I could go for, given that I have no post grad experience, and my age is against me. I realise that, if lucky enough to get a visa it would only be temporary. Incidentally, i did have a look at the grad prog on the Mater hospitals site, but ( and I could be wrong here) they wanted face to face interviews. Also, should I apply for ANMC registration BEFORE I start emailing hospitals etc ??

Any advice GREATLY appreciated, .... this 'jobs freeze' situation is really getting so disheartening!!

bw - evie
I could be wrong but I think you do need at least 12 months of experience befor any visa application in Oz(as an RN). Also, the new grad programs are only for those who graduate from their universities.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:59 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: New grad looking for advice on nursing in Oz

Hi
you can apply for a grad position in Oz I did and qualified from University of manchester in england and was offered two positions one with temp and one with perm visa I have now been granted my perm visa but due to the time taken wont be a new grad when I get there. I am going to Hollywood in western Oz have a look on ramsey health sites.

Avril
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

yc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really nice

[QUOTE=avi;8892485]Hi
you can apply for a grad position in Oz I did and qualified from University of manchester in england and was offered two positions one with temp and one with perm visa I have now been granted my perm visa but due to the time taken wont be a new grad when I get there. I am going to Hollywood in western Oz have a look on ramsey health sites.

Avril

Hi Avril,

thanks very much for the info......totally disheartened here in Scotland, can't get a job at all. I really would like to try and get on the new grad prog.

Well done on getting two offers on the grad program; as an international student, did you find it difficult get an offer?

Best wishes
evie
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

I think you can apply for an actual "new graduate" position in Australia through whichever area health you want to go with. So if you wanted to be in Northern Sydney, you could phone HR for Northern Sydney Central Coast and ask them about new grad positions available. You'd be paid first year money on the normal scale depending if you want to work in a private or public sector. With the new grad program you get the choice of 3 or 4 placements and so will work 3 months on a surgical ward, 3 months in theatres etc.... You work as a surpervised nurse and you'd have a mentor to help you through.

Its well worth contacting area health for whereever you want to be or an individual private hospital and contacting them.

Good luck
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Actually you guys might be able to help me! I'm returning to the UK after living away for 6 years, I'll have 7 years experience when I return, are jobs in nursing (UK)really hard to come by?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Actually you guys might be able to help me! I'm returning to the UK after living away for 6 years, I'll have 7 years experience when I return, are jobs in nursing (UK)really hard to come by?
A lot will depend on where you plan on living. Check this website out for NHS jobs http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yc2m
Hi Guys,

bw - evie
If you are looking for end destination of the US be aware if you haven't already started the process with a state board of nursing in the US you may have issues if you do not have Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and general adult both clinical and theory hours on your transcripts. I would also suggest you start the process sooner rather than later so if you do have issues you can try to get it sorted before you arrive in the US. If you are short of hours to meet US requirements I don't think there is anywhere in the UK that does top up hours (both clinical and theory)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
If you are looking for end destination of the US be aware if you haven't already started the process with a state board of nursing in the US you may have issues if you do not have Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and general adult both clinical and theory hours on your transcripts. I would also suggest you start the process sooner rather than later so if you do have issues you can try to get it sorted before you arrive in the US. If you are short of hours to meet US requirements I don't think there is anywhere in the UK that does top up hours (both clinical and theory)
Thanks Silverdragon I have spoken to the nursing board in MD and I realise that I am short in the areas you mentioned. I have not had my transcript evaluated yet, but, I am aware that I will have to return to college to make up the missing hours and of course undertake the clinical placements. I had a meeting with the admissions people at the nursing college and they have advised me what to do, but that, I will have a clearer picture, once my transcript is evaluated.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Mittens is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also newly qualified and applied to numerous hospitals for a graduate place in NSW and QLD. Basically I was told that is was not their policy to sponsor applicants for this and that I would need to a year's experience to apply. I am now in the process of applying for my Australian Nursing registation which is taking forever (Just an example is that the transcript of my qualification will take 6 - 8 weeks from my uni).

I know how frustrating it is trying to find a job here in the UK but am not sure Oz is much easier when newly qualified. I have even considered looking in South Africa - they have some excellent hospitals and value UK nurses.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

chaz86 has a brilliant futurechaz86 has a brilliant futurechaz86 has a brilliant futurechaz86 has a brilliant futurechaz86 has a brilliant futurechaz86 has a brilliant futurechaz86 has a brilliant future

Hey yc2m, i would just like to let you know that i qualified last sep in Glasgow and still have no job, i can understand that you are very disheartened as it seems all our hard work was for nothing. I also would love to go to oz but when i qualified i thought it may be best to gain some experience here before going and now it seems ive wasted a year trying to get employment here and missed my chances with a new grad position also but hindsight is a wonderful thing lol, but i wish you all the best and look forward to reading your progress.