British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   In need of help revalidating RN license with NMC in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/need-help-revalidating-rn-license-nmc-uk-933267/)

Sallyzzz2003 Jun 17th 2020 11:40 pm

In need of help revalidating RN license with NMC in UK

I trained and worked as an RGN/RSCN in the UK until I emigrated to the USA 20 years ago.
I unfortunately let my UK license lapse with the then UKCC, I have continued to work as an RN in the US where my license is current.
Recently I looked into rejoining the UK register with the hope of returning home but hit a brick wall.
I am in need of a Nurse who has a valid current license with the UK’s NMC to be able to validate my application, there are specific requirements which we can discuss and I’m not in any hurry. I am hoping someone on this forum who has a UK nursing license could reach out to me so that I can discuss this further and hopefully eventually regain my UK nursing license with the NMC.
Thank you Sally

christmasoompa Jun 18th 2020 6:54 am

Re: In need of help revalidating RN license with NMC in UK

Originally Posted by Sallyzzz2003 (Post 12868505)
I trained and worked as an RGN/RSCN in the UK until I emigrated to the USA 20 years ago.
I unfortunately let my UK license lapse with the then UKCC, I have continued to work as an RN in the US where my license is current.
Recently I looked into rejoining the UK register with the hope of returning home but hit a brick wall.
I am in need of a Nurse who has a valid current license with the UK’s NMC to be able to validate my application, there are specific requirements which we can discuss and I’m not in any hurry. I am hoping someone on this forum who has a UK nursing license could reach out to me so that I can discuss this further and hopefully eventually regain my UK nursing license with the NMC.
Thank you Sally

In your previous thread you said that person would need to have known you for at least 12 months. Is that no longer the case?

What happened to the suggestion of trying to find somebody you used to work with, did you not have any luck with that?

Sallyzzz2003 Jun 21st 2020 7:08 am

Hi Christmasoompa (-:

In response to your reply:

In your previous thread you said that person would need to have known you for at least 12 months. Is that no longer the case?

No it is still the requirement to have known the person for 12 months and had recent communication in the past 3 months. I am prepared to wait and build up a friendship over the 12+ months with the person who will validate me with the NMC so they can get to know me and meet the NMC requirements.

What happened to the suggestion of trying to find somebody you used to work with, did you not have any luck with that?

No I really have not had any success with finding my old colleagues, the hospital where I used to work underwent significant changes with units merging and moving to other hospitals within that NHS trust and will not divulge any staffing information, its been over 20 years since I left England and unfortunately I did not keep in touch over the years with my old colleges to my loss.

Sally

christmasoompa Jun 21st 2020 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sallyzzz2003 (Post 12869939)
No it is still the requirement to have known the person for 12 months and had recent communication in the past 3 months. I am prepared to wait and build up a friendship over the 12+ months with the person who will validate me with the NMC so they can get to know me and meet the NMC requirements.

Ah, ok. I'm not sure using somebody you've met on an Internet forum only will work for that surely?

Originally Posted by Sallyzzz2003 (Post 12869939)
No I really have not had any success with finding my old colleagues, the hospital where I used to work underwent significant changes with units merging and moving to other hospitals within that NHS trust and will not divulge any staffing information, its been over 20 years since I left England and unfortunately I did not keep in touch over the years with my old colleges to my loss.

Presume you've searched LinkedIn, Facebook etc? You can't find any of them on there?

Sallyzzz2003 Jun 22nd 2020 7:42 am

Thanks Christmasoompa,

In response to your replies:
Ah, ok. I'm not sure using somebody you've met on an Internet forum only will work for that surely?
I'm left with very little option other than the hope of finding a nurse who I can make friends with and who would eventually help m with my revalidation. I am not looking for a shortcut I intend to meet all the requirements before sending in my application to rejoin the register.

Presume you've searched LinkedIn, Facebook etc? You can't find any of them on there?
yes and I also considered this forum in addition to other social media sites as this is where British Expats can be contacted, there has to be some British nurses on this forum who still hold valid UK nursing licenses with the NMC, I am hopeful one of them would become my friend.

Thanks Sally

christmasoompa Jun 22nd 2020 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Sallyzzz2003 (Post 12870340)
yes and I also considered this forum in addition to other social media sites as this is where British Expats can be contacted, there has to be some British nurses on this forum who still hold valid UK nursing licenses with the NMC, I am hopeful one of them would become my friend.

I meant to find your old colleagues. You'd normally be able to find them on LinkedIn or Facebook, have you tried that? I'm not sure using a random stranger on BE to do this is a good idea tbh.

Sallyzzz2003 Jun 22nd 2020 9:58 am

Dear Christmasoompa,
in response to your reply: I meant to find your old colleagues. You'd normally be able to find them on LinkedIn or Facebook, have you tried that? I'm not sure using a random stranger on BE to do this is a good idea tbh.

Yes I have made an exhaustive attempt to find my ex colleagues on social media over a long time, I first considered revalidating my British license in 2016 and have periodically searched for them over the years not just for the reason of revalidating but also to reconnect but with no success, its so long ago now they may have changed names and/or not even be on social media, I have forgotten many of their surnames. I am saddened I lost contact with them and recently I have grown more and more homesick and miss my family and paying my respects at my parents graves and so I have become determined not to give up on finding a kind understanding nurse who could consider helping me with this. The person who would agree would hopefully become a good friend and would not remain a stranger for long, other than the forums and social media I have also asked this week a friend (who is a teacher) in the UK to ask around to see if any nurses they know could help, they also recommended forums, social media and even mentioned British expats.
I realize its not ideal and regret not renewing my British license when it was due for renewal, I never expected it to be so complicated to get it reinstated, I meet all the professional requirements its just the UK nurse validation which I require.
Sally