My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:16 pm
Shaun

picto1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Hi

I thought I'd share my experience so far with the progress of my application to AHPRA and plans to move to Australia.

I hope I don't bore anybody as I'm sure I'll write a lot but I thought it would be useful.

At present I'm a Mental Health Nurse working as an 8a managing acute in-patient services for an NHS trust.

The thought and decision to move to Australia came out of the blue really - it's something myself and the other half talked about one morning so I did some research and thought what the hell....We don't have any ties here in the UK and not getting any younger I'm 40 the other half is 42 -
lets go for it - so I did.

Initially I read a lot of information on websites, forums contacted recruitment agencies etc etc. I was given a lot of advice about what I should and shouldn't do initially. I basically absorbed too much and managed to get confused. I regrouped myself and concentrated on what I needed to know and do.

I chose not to use and migration agency as I wanted to see the process from start to finish and stay in control of it. I also didn't want to spend money that would be needed elsewhere in the journey.

My main focus was the AHPRA application, employment opportunities and the type of visa that would suit me.

AHPRA Application:
I found this straight forward - a couple of questions threw me and I wasn't entirely sure if I'd completed it properly.

The only mistake I made was the question about personal indemnity - remember to tick 'YES' - I ticked no.

I had the following documents certified by a notary public - total cost was £60.

Driving Licence (both parts)
Passport
Diploma Certificate
Health & Social care Certificate
Bank Statement
Credit card
Debit card
GCSE certificate

I compiled an application pack - all very neat and tidy with a covering letter explaining the contents and items that were being sent separately and items I was waiting for.
I was waiting for the transcript, NMC verification and two work statements from previous employers giving me the full 5 years evidence as requested.

I sent the application to the Brisbane office - I notice on the forum that advice was given to send applications to Adelaide and Darwin as these are less busy - Perth, Melbourne and Sydney were suggested as very busy and slow - Brisbane wasn't mentioned, hence my choice.

My application arrived on the 5th February - I had it tracked from the post office all the way on standard delivery costing £24 - it arrived in 7 days - tracking was a little hit and miss though as it only managed to track it to Brisbane.
On the 7th Feb the Credit bill arrived (annoyingly but usefully) and we noticed that a payment had been taken from AHPRA Brisbane! AHPRA had taken the whole £360 application/processing fee!

I checked my emails and I'd received confirmation, on the 7th Feb, that my application had arrived and was being processed.

Exactly a week later on the 14th Feb I received an email asking for more information - this is where it got a little tricky.

information needed:
Two previous work statements - I just had to call the HR departments and ask them to speed up a little.

Evidence of 5 years primary, secondary or tertiary education taught and assessed in English. My GCSE certificate wasn't evidence of schooling, it was only evidence of taking the exams.
I contacted my school (named since changed) to ask if they had old school reports as AHPRA requested as evidence of each year attended. The school advised me to call the Council as they hold the archives.

I called the Council - they said call the school! small nightmare although everyone was extremely helpful. long story short I ended contacting 3 different local authorities for a record of me attending school - the only record one council had for my school was dated 1836.

I called the school again and asked for their help - they would be happy to write a letter that I attended school only if I could prove it.

I ended up calling my mum and asking if she had kept anything from school. She found 1 school report and several sports certificates from sports days spanning 3 years.

I called the school again and asked if they would accept these as evidence. I was asked to drop them off. I did just that and within 45 mins the guy called saying he's written a letter! chuffed to bits or what! (in fact I was a little excited as I wasn't sure what else to do and I really didn't want to do the IELTS - I would have done though).

Gathering all this, working etc took me until the 12th March - so the hold up was basically waiting on others. During this time I'd received emails from AHPRA saying they had received the transcript and NMC verification.
I posted the outstanding items on the 14th March with superfast delivery costing £60.

It all arrived on the 19th and I received an email on the 21st saying that my application has now been passed to have my qualification equivalence assessed.

Now all I have to do is wait - I've no idea how long it will take now.

VISA choice:
I'm going to try and get a sponsorship under 457. The very helpful recruitment consultant, Chris, said that private hospitals do still sponsor. Failing that I will need to rethink and look at PR.

forum user genorm (extremely helpful) referred my CV to the recruitment agent.

Job opportunities:
The agency said he has contacts at 3 hospitals - again very helpful. I asked about my chances of a similar role, although I would never expect to have a similar role over there. He said my chances may be good as a manager/semi clinical.

During this time I made contact with a very helpful expat who's been in Perth for the last 2 years. I got her contact details from my partners colleague sisters friend.

She asked me to send my CV and covering letter to her as she is involved with recruiting very soon for a new project with strong possibility of sponsorship (457) - I sent it over to her and its now with the HR dept.

I've contacted 4 recruitment agencies - only one has been helpful; however, until I get a letter of eligibility there isn't much they can do - correctly so.

My partner will not come with me initially as we have to think of pension as it's pension time in 6 years - lots more to research and work out here.

I hope this has been useful and I hope I haven't missed anything out.

Good luck to everyone and I hope we can share experiences.

Shaun
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Originally Posted by picto1
Hi

I thought I'd share my experience so far with the progress of my application to AHPRA and plans to move to Australia.

I hope I don't bore anybody as I'm sure I'll write a lot but I thought it would be useful.

At present I'm a Mental Health Nurse working as an 8a managing acute in-patient services for an NHS trust.

The thought and decision to move to Australia came out of the blue really - it's something myself and the other half talked about one morning so I did some research and thought what the hell....We don't have any ties here in the UK and not getting any younger I'm 40 the other half is 42 -
lets go for it - so I did.

Initially I read a lot of information on websites, forums contacted recruitment agencies etc etc. I was given a lot of advice about what I should and shouldn't do initially. I basically absorbed too much and managed to get confused. I regrouped myself and concentrated on what I needed to know and do.

I chose not to use and migration agency as I wanted to see the process from start to finish and stay in control of it. I also didn't want to spend money that would be needed elsewhere in the journey.

My main focus was the AHPRA application, employment opportunities and the type of visa that would suit me.

AHPRA Application:
I found this straight forward - a couple of questions threw me and I wasn't entirely sure if I'd completed it properly.

The only mistake I made was the question about personal indemnity - remember to tick 'YES' - I ticked no.

I had the following documents certified by a notary public - total cost was £60.

Driving Licence (both parts)
Passport
Diploma Certificate
Health & Social care Certificate
Bank Statement
Credit card
Debit card
GCSE certificate

I compiled an application pack - all very neat and tidy with a covering letter explaining the contents and items that were being sent separately and items I was waiting for.
I was waiting for the transcript, NMC verification and two work statements from previous employers giving me the full 5 years evidence as requested.

I sent the application to the Brisbane office - I notice on the forum that advice was given to send applications to Adelaide and Darwin as these are less busy - Perth, Melbourne and Sydney were suggested as very busy and slow - Brisbane wasn't mentioned, hence my choice.

My application arrived on the 5th February - I had it tracked from the post office all the way on standard delivery costing £24 - it arrived in 7 days - tracking was a little hit and miss though as it only managed to track it to Brisbane.
On the 7th Feb the Credit bill arrived (annoyingly but usefully) and we noticed that a payment had been taken from AHPRA Brisbane! AHPRA had taken the whole £360 application/processing fee!

I checked my emails and I'd received confirmation, on the 7th Feb, that my application had arrived and was being processed.

Exactly a week later on the 14th Feb I received an email asking for more information - this is where it got a little tricky.

information needed:
Two previous work statements - I just had to call the HR departments and ask them to speed up a little.

Evidence of 5 years primary, secondary or tertiary education taught and assessed in English. My GCSE certificate wasn't evidence of schooling, it was only evidence of taking the exams.
I contacted my school (named since changed) to ask if they had old school reports as AHPRA requested as evidence of each year attended. The school advised me to call the Council as they hold the archives.

I called the Council - they said call the school! small nightmare although everyone was extremely helpful. long story short I ended contacting 3 different local authorities for a record of me attending school - the only record one council had for my school was dated 1836.

I called the school again and asked for their help - they would be happy to write a letter that I attended school only if I could prove it.

I ended up calling my mum and asking if she had kept anything from school. She found 1 school report and several sports certificates from sports days spanning 3 years.

I called the school again and asked if they would accept these as evidence. I was asked to drop them off. I did just that and within 45 mins the guy called saying he's written a letter! chuffed to bits or what! (in fact I was a little excited as I wasn't sure what else to do and I really didn't want to do the IELTS - I would have done though).

Gathering all this, working etc took me until the 12th March - so the hold up was basically waiting on others. During this time I'd received emails from AHPRA saying they had received the transcript and NMC verification.
I posted the outstanding items on the 14th March with superfast delivery costing £60.

It all arrived on the 19th and I received an email on the 21st saying that my application has now been passed to have my qualification equivalence assessed.

Now all I have to do is wait - I've no idea how long it will take now.

VISA choice:
I'm going to try and get a sponsorship under 457. The very helpful recruitment consultant, Chris, said that private hospitals do still sponsor. Failing that I will need to rethink and look at PR.

forum user genorm (extremely helpful) referred my CV to the recruitment agent.

Job opportunities:
The agency said he has contacts at 3 hospitals - again very helpful. I asked about my chances of a similar role, although I would never expect to have a similar role over there. He said my chances may be good as a manager/semi clinical.

During this time I made contact with a very helpful expat who's been in Perth for the last 2 years. I got her contact details from my partners colleague sisters friend.

She asked me to send my CV and covering letter to her as she is involved with recruiting very soon for a new project with strong possibility of sponsorship (457) - I sent it over to her and its now with the HR dept.

I've contacted 4 recruitment agencies - only one has been helpful; however, until I get a letter of eligibility there isn't much they can do - correctly so.

My partner will not come with me initially as we have to think of pension as it's pension time in 6 years - lots more to research and work out here.

I hope this has been useful and I hope I haven't missed anything out.

Good luck to everyone and I hope we can share experiences.

Shaun
Hi Shaun

I'm not sure why you are hoping to go via 457. This is a temporary visa, and should you be unfortunate to lose your job, you would have 90 days to find another employer or leave Australia. I would have thought a better option would be to look at a PR visa and once granted secure employment. Just a thought

not too much longer to wait for AHPRA
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:32 pm
Shaun

Hi
Thanks for your comment.
This my chosen route and I'm well aware of its limitations. I'm happy with this way forward as it suites me at the moment.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

deadlyminimee is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you keep us updated about how long it takes to get your APHRA through? My sister is just starting the process. Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

deadlyminimee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks for your comment.
This my chosen route and I'm well aware of its limitations. I'm happy with this way forward as it suites me at the moment.
Can you keep us updated about how long it takes to get your APHRA through? My sister is just starting the process. Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks picto1 for the advice.
Can I just ask, when you initially sent your application to AHPRA did you then ask the university and NMC to send their information directly to where you had sent your app?
Im just wondering whether to ask the NMC and my uni to send the requested information to AHPRA before I have sent them my application? I should imagine that getting the NMC & uni to send things will take slightly longer?

Also, (sorry for the 20 questions I realize that you wont have all the answers) at what point then can you start looking for work in oz?

Thanks
Yvette
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:47 pm
Shaun

Originally Posted by deadlyminimee
Hi

Yes - no problem
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:04 pm
Shaun

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille
Thanks picto1 for the advice.
Can I just ask, when you initially sent your application to AHPRA did you then ask the university and NMC to send their information directly to where you had sent your app?
Im just wondering whether to ask the NMC and my uni to send the requested information to AHPRA before I have sent them my application? I should imagine that getting the NMC & uni to send things will take slightly longer?

Also, (sorry for the 20 questions I realize that you wont have all the answers) at what point then can you start looking for work in oz?

Thanks
Yvette
Hi

I asked the school of nursing and NMC the day after I posted my application. I wanted the application to get there first rather than have a random transcript/verification arrive.
The NMC took the longest to arrive.

3 of the 4 agencies said they couldn't help with employment until I had my LOE. The 4th agency felt he could start the process based on the fact my application was in and it had been referred to have my qualification equivalence reviewed.
My thinking is that as soon as I get my LOE I'll crack on with several agencies.

Shaun
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I asked the school of nursing and NMC the day after I posted my application. I wanted the application to get there first rather than have a random transcript/verification arrive.
The NMC took the longest to arrive.

3 of the 4 agencies said they couldn't help with employment until I had my LOE. The 4th agency felt he could start the process based on the fact my application was in and it had been referred to have my qualification equivalence reviewed.
My thinking is that as soon as I get my LOE I'll crack on with several agencies.

Shaun
That's great Shaun thanks. The only thing im concerned about really is I have a copy of the list of modules undertaken during my RMN nursing diploma and nowhere does it state medications management! Its does say "nursing interventions and management" Im wondering whether this covers it? (not expecting you to know just thinking out loud!)

I have recently completed a Psychopharmacology course at Uni but not sure yet if I've passed, if I haven't I'm not sure what i'll do.

Yvette
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:41 pm
Shaun

That's great Shaun thanks. The only thing im concerned about really is I have a copy of the list of modules undertaken during my RMN nursing diploma and nowhere does it state medications management! Its does say "nursing interventions and management" Im wondering whether this covers it? (not expecting you to know just thinking out loud!)

I have recently completed a Psychopharmacology course at Uni but not sure yet if I've passed, if I haven't I'm not sure what i'll do.

Yvette
Hi

When did you qualify?

Have you a copy of your transcript - I'm guessing unlikely (I could be wrong). the transcript will be very clear in the modules taken.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

When did you qualify?

Have you a copy of your transcript - I'm guessing unlikely (I could be wrong). the transcript will be very clear in the modules taken.
I qualified in 2009 and with my diploma I received a transcript of the modules taken, although we definitely did cover medicines management, particularly in practice placements, theres nothing that specifically states medicines were covered, odd!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:08 pm
Shaun

I qualified in 2009 and with my diploma I received a transcript of the modules taken, although we definitely did cover medicines management, particularly in practice placements, theres nothing that specifically states medicines were covered, odd!
ahhhhh......I got a similar thing of modules covered but it's not the same.

I qualified 2004 - my actual school of nursing transcript is different.

I'm happy to talk with you over the phone - only if you want....

shaun
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

ahhhhh......I got a similar thing of modules covered but it's not the same.

I qualified 2004 - my actual school of nursing transcript is different.

I'm happy to talk with you over the phone - only if you want....

shaun
Oh right ok, what do I ask the school of nursing to send then?

Thanks
Yvette
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:45 pm
Shaun

Oh right ok, what do I ask the school of nursing to send then?

Thanks
Yvette
Hi

The school need to send your transcript.

You need to follow the instructions on the application form - it's all there.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi

The school need to send your transcript.

You need to follow the instructions on the application form - it's all there.
I have looked but couldnt find what i was looking for. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.