British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   MRSA Screening (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/mrsa-screening-318325/)

micky Aug 5th 2005 8:36 pm

MRSA Screening

Hi everyone,
I presume WA requires an MRSA screen to work as a nurse in Perth.
If I get a MRSA screen here in Glasgow, will this be accepted in WA?
And if yes, how long is it valid?
I was going to get the screen done maybe a month before we arrive.

Shona x

Tass Aug 8th 2005 1:10 am

Re: MRSA Screening

Originally Posted by micky
Hi everyone,
I presume WA requires an MRSA screen to work as a nurse in Perth.
If I get a MRSA screen here in Glasgow, will this be accepted in WA?
And if yes, how long is it valid?
I was going to get the screen done maybe a month before we arrive.

Shona x

Hey Shona !
I worried about MRSA screening before the move BUT they don't screen for it here -on the East coast anyway and it's not even a consideration at the medicals . Have you had the pleasure of your medicals yet ? With the lovely Lady Doctor ? No ? You're in for a treat ! ;)
So , "dinnae fache yersel" , forget about this one.
All the best ,
Tass.

debbiemc Aug 9th 2005 9:22 pm

i dread to think how many nurses would have MRSA if they were screened :scared:

in a hosp it south yorkshire a couple of years ago, they did just that and had to stop in the end because so many nurses were positive, they ended up closing wards!!

very scary eh!

hedgehog-girl Aug 10th 2005 7:46 am

Originally Posted by debbiemc
i dread to think how many nurses would have MRSA if they were screened :scared:

in a hosp it south yorkshire a couple of years ago, they did just that and had to stop in the end because so many nurses were positive, they ended up closing wards!!

very scary eh!

Nurses being screened for MSRA? I have not had this done to me (yet!) nor have I heard of it...bit extreme don't you think considering the majority of people would prove positive.....

rangersman Aug 10th 2005 8:12 am

I was told by the agency I would need an MRSA screen done and I'm going to Perth, they arrange it for me there. Didn't think how long it would take before I could work if I'm positive and have to be treated or how much it'll cost for treatment.
Nicola

debbiemc Aug 10th 2005 10:18 am

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Nurses being screened for MSRA? I have not had this done to me (yet!) nor have I heard of it...bit extreme don't you think considering the majority of people would prove positive.....

Absolutely.....Scarry thought though :scared:

tiredwithtwins Aug 13th 2005 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl

our entire ward was screened for mrsa about a month ago - one nurse tested positive (afterwards she said a sore up her nose that she'd had for months had never healed - guess which swab was pos for mrsa!), and out of all the other staff all were negative - one of the consulkants (sp intended!) refused, on the grounds that patients would die if tested pos and had to have the obligatory 5 days off. good point actually.....being just one e grade down was a nightmare! rumour has it that out of the entire surgical directorate only 2 or 3 staff (all nurses!!) tested positive!

sue :D

rangersman Aug 14th 2005 7:28 am

I checked with the agency I have signed up with in Oz and they say the swab can be done here but after your last shift, and can be done through occupational health. hope that helps, Nicola

hedgehog-girl Aug 14th 2005 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
our entire ward was screened for mrsa about a month ago - one nurse tested positive (afterwards she said a sore up her nose that she'd had for months had never healed - guess which swab was pos for mrsa!), and out of all the other staff all were negative - one of the consulkants (sp intended!) refused, on the grounds that patients would die if tested pos and had to have the obligatory 5 days off. good point actually.....being just one e grade down was a nightmare! rumour has it that out of the entire surgical directorate only 2 or 3 staff (all nurses!!) tested positive!

sue :D

wow......the thing is with MRSA, is that a nurse can be tested positive, take time off, come back to work and bang! got it again....I thought that was why most hospitals in the UK didn't want to go down that route, because chances are you will always have it on you, its just how you look after yourself and your patients that matter once you know....

Tass Aug 16th 2005 12:13 am

Hi again!
Was telling my husband about this - he's a nurse too- and I was saying blah, blah blah how ridiculous etc. and he reminded me of one of his colleugues who was coming out with an agency and had to have all the MRSA swabs done and was not accepted until she had negative nasal swabs !!!! :scared:
So my apologies . You obviously are right. Agencyies recruiting staff for overseas may require MRSA screens (another reason for doing an independant visa ;) )
Good luck to you on your quest for the negative nasal swab, may be start prophalactically using bactroban for a week before ! :p
Sorry about the spelling , was night shift and am too terd to go back and correct it all !
All the best,
Tass. :zzz: (soon hopefully)