MRSA

Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all
Default MRSA

Hi all nurses

After wokring in NZ some years ago, where you could not work if you tested positive for MRSA on arrival, is this the case in Australia/WA?
Might have to get myself swabbed here just in case
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:12 am
Just Joined

dcknsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MRSA

I have worked in Brisbane recently and although they swab patients from other hospitals ( as the do in UK) I was not swabbed. So I don't think so.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

I have never been swabbed here
Jacqui
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:01 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Hi all nurses

After wokring in NZ some years ago, where you could not work if you tested positive for MRSA on arrival, is this the case in Australia/WA?
Might have to get myself swabbed here just in case
They do in WA before commencing employment but not a big problem - just need treatment if positive. Could get it done before (and instigate treatment if required ) so you won't get a posative result. However they will still swab you as you have been out of the state in the previous 12 months.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sme
They do in WA before commencing employment but not a big problem - just need treatment if positive. Could get it done before (and instigate treatment if required ) so you won't get a posative result. However they will still swab you as you have been out of the state in the previous 12 months.
I've never been swabbed in WA and I've been employed by both private and public

Tracie
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:27 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
I've never been swabbed in WA and I've been employed by both private and public

Tracie
It was part of my pre-employment checks along with bloods and polio test.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone, I have 4 weeks before I start my job so I guess I'll be ok, might even see if I can get tested and treated here, as last time I had it...
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

I have a friend (a nurse). She has been admitted to hopital in Brisbane and was of course swabbed for MRSA and waiting for the results. She's worried sick about being tested +ve. What will this mean for her job, do any of you know? She is so ill but this is worrying her more than anything. They would treat her for MRSA but it takes a hell of a long time to get a negative result after treatment I think. Would she have to stay off sick in the interim? Silly, thing is that most of the nurses from the Uk would probably all test +ve if tested. She works in a public health hospital in QLD.
I do hope some of you out there may know the answer so I can put her mind at ease.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:30 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
I have a friend (a nurse). She has been admitted to hopital in Brisbane and was of course swabbed for MRSA and waiting for the results. She's worried sick about being tested +ve. What will this mean for her job, do any of you know? She is so ill but this is worrying her more than anything. They would treat her for MRSA but it takes a hell of a long time to get a negative result after treatment I think. Would she have to stay off sick in the interim? Silly, thing is that most of the nurses from the Uk would probably all test +ve if tested. She works in a public health hospital in QLD.
I do hope some of you out there may know the answer so I can put her mind at ease.

All they will do is barrier nurse her and treat her for it. She can still work.