Moving to new york

Old Aug 4th 2019, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Mummybarrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to new york

hi I’m hoping someone can help me

I am a qualified midwife in the UK with no nursing degree.
I’m struggling to get my head around which course I need to do in order to qualify to be a cnm and which schools provide this for international students

any help gratefully received
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

new2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to new york

Hi mummybarrett!

I hope I can be of some help though my advice is probably not what you are hoping to hear.
I married an American and moved to NYC this year. I am a UK RM with 5 years experience.
Unfortunately our BSc Midwifery counts for very little over here. You could either go down the CPM route and work as a home birth midwife or re-qualify to be a CNM/CM.
I prefer working in hospitals so I decided to go down the CNM route. (CMs) Certified midwives are also regulated by the ACNM and take the same exams as a CNM but they are only allowed to practice in 5 east coast states. As I wanted flexibility to work everywhere I decided to do the CNM route. If you want to take the CM route you need a US masters level qualification as are CNM/CMs are masters level.
Obviously with our training it is super focused on maternal health so I didn't even try and get my qualifications recognized by the nursing board as they want to see a range of specialty training. Adult trained RNs in the UK are the closest to the US RN but they are deficit in pads/OB and have to take additional training (or fudge it a bit- from what I've heard).
I decided to do a 15 month accelerated masters in nursing at a Ivy League school in NY. It's extremely expensive (approx $120,000) but I will then be able to practice as a RN anywhere without any fuss. You can do this a lot cheaper, I just wanted to get qualified quickly. I'm then going to take a two yer doctorate to become a CNM. Thankfully a bit cheaper than the masters and I can work along side it.
The CNM role is not like a RM job in the UK. You are cross between a UK RM ( antenatal visits, baby catching and suturing)/GP that only does women's health (Pap smears, routine gynae, contraception, LARC placements) and OB/GYN SHO (rounding on postnatal women/prescribing abs/other meds/first assist with LSCS). The L&D RN in the hospital will be with the woman the majority of the time, doing observations on mum and baby, doing some of the VEs, reporting to CNM/OB/GYN).
Hope that helps at all. I'm taking big loans but a salary of about $135,000 once I qualify is appealing. Excited about expanding the role too. Haven't met anyone in the same boat though! It's a pretty unique position!

Let me know what you decide to do!

Old Nov 5th 2019, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Mummybarrett is an unknown quantity at this point

How did u manage the visa situation?
Old Nov 5th 2019, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummybarrett View Post
How did u manage the visa situation?
Presumably a spousal visa as she’s married to an American - a heck of a lot easier to obtain than an employment based one for most!